Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Minnesota Skoolie Insurance Quest

Just thought I would give an update on my quest to insure my yet-to-be-picked up / converted skoolie in case it can help anyone else.

1) Called/emailed my current broker who insures all my other stuff through Cincinnati. No response for 2 days (must be golfing). I'm more than disappointed after being a customer for over 10 years. They are fired (See #5 below).

2) Called Good Sam put on hold for over 3 minutes. Hung up.

3) Called AIS. Very responsive/friendly and was asked to email photos of bus. Emailed photos from auction site and was told that National General underwrites their skoolie policies which requires that the seats be removed before I can be eligible.

4) Called local Farm Bureau office #1. Told by admin "all our agents are out this afternoon [must be golfing] but that doesn't sound like it's something we'd do".

5) Called local Farm Bureau office #2. Gave agent my VIN number and was called back immediately. Told if I switched all my other policies to Farm Bureau they would write me a policy pre-conversion through Progressive until I had it registered as an RV at which point they would insure directly at a lower rate. Done. Headed in the office tomorrow AM to finalize. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Life lessons: 1) Customer service matters! 2) Skoolies are difficult to insure.

Hope this can help someone in the future. So grateful for this forum to get me pointed in the right direction.

- Dan

dan_the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's the secret, going to an independent insurance agent. Progressive seems to be the only one insuring lately. Most of us are on "commercial policies for private use."
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes Benz diesel
This is good to know as we are getting a bus this year probably this month and we live in Mn. too.
Therese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farm bureau, insurance, minnesota