Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Chuckie,
I'm in Licking, MO, 35 miles south of Rolla. Where are you?

1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Mo inspections

Having just gone through my inspection a few months ago I think I can add some details to this discussion that apply to Mo: Part I) Call and get an appointment FIRST, they are 6 weeks out most of the time, no it won't be tomorrow. Remember to get a temporary travel tag before the day of your appointment to get to and from the inspection process, you will get a ticket if you don't. You will be inspected by the Mo Highway Patrol at one of their inspection stations (there are quite a few) for your compliance within their guidelines of: additional electrical system, running water with TOILET (shower is not necessary) , SINK, a place to SIT AND EAT, COOK, SLEEP etc. I figured they would crawl all over it and look at my wiring, gas lines etc but they don't care if it burns to the ground, they're not technicians, it's just gotta have this stuff to pass. Really they are just keeping you from throwing a mattress, a 5 gallon bucket and an old countertop and sink in it and calling it an RV. Remember each officer will zero in on different things so this is just a generalization. PART II) you will go to the DMV in Jeff City and you will be GRILLED by them in a whole different way! They will cover the paperwork end of things like: surrendering your old title, where you got the stuff to do the conversion, major expendatures, appliances, etc. and you better have receipts for all these with SN's ( to deter theft). If you have most of the stuff given to you then you better have an "affidavit of gift" receipt notorized with SN or you will be considered a thief. A junk yard receipt, new purchase receipt, receipt from a buddy or SOMETHING to prove where it came from is a MUST. Also bring pictures of your appliances and conversion to surrender because they will want some to put in your new DMV file . Part III) After you jump through all these hoops they will mail a new DMV ID tag to the MO Highway Patrol so you can go back to them again in a week or so and let them install it. No they don't trust you to install it yourself but it will only take a few minutes for them to do so and you don't need an appointment this time. By now you have received your new title in the mail and you can go to your local license bureau and get your RV tages. It will be titled as a re-constructed vehicle with the year of construction as the year of the vehicle like they do with homebuilt motorcycles, trailers, dune buggies etc. My '76 is now a 2006 re-constructed Recreational Vehicle. You will need the usual crap to get your plates: insurance, inspection, taxes etc. Now your insurance is dirty cheap, you have no weight limits, anyone with a license can drive, no stopping at most state weigh stations, and most important it is your home on wheels, you can pack legally and national search and seizure laws apply, tell the Gestapo to stay the f#@$ out without probable cause!!! sportyrick!
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't know just what you're packing, but I like the way you're thinking. I have nothing to hide from the police, but they always seem to think I do Just as clarification...I'm not sure about other states, but I'm SURE they're the same as Minnesota...If you are driving an RV, it is a motor vehicle and motor vehicle search and seizure rules apply meaning they need reasonable suspicion to do a PBT or other test. They then need probable cause (failing a field sobriety test, but passing the PBT for example) to search the vehicle. They CAN NOT legally ask to search the vehicle as this is an example of entrapment per precident in this state....a case of darned of you do, darned if you don't. It is certainly something to take note of if they ask....Basically, if they want to search it, they have to just tell you that and explain why. Get it all documented (videotape is good), even if you have NOTHING to hide. Can you tell that a very close family friend of mine is a public defender who deals with this stuff all the time?

As for when you're parked....then the vehicle is the same as a house and they will need a search warrant unless there is a blatent violation of the law. Basically, close the curtains before you start stroking the barrel of your M-60.

Check with your locality, but these rules seem like the kind of thing that would apply anywhere thanks so a Supreme Court decision somewhere along the way.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28
Re: MO rules on RV conversion

man I can't wait to go through that paticular sort of lovin ( not ) but I am really glad to hear from someone in mo tell me what I am up against.
My situation might be a harder than yours because i bOUght a 50 model and I'm in the process of justt getting a title now then I will have to go through the screw mill again. I want to change the deminsions of the coachwork as well, can you give me height width length regs. as well
dale
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28

oh buy the way I am not doing any mods to the bus until I have a legitamate title in my hands with my name on it
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #6

Coachwork: n/a
Chassis: n/a
Engine: n/a

I am new to this procedure, but I have worked with school buses before, so I know a few things. I was not aware of what all was required to retitle the bus, and all that good stuff. Joining this site has proven extremely useful, and once I do get my bus and start the process, I will document the before, during, and after. I know this will be alot of work, but it will be worth it. I could just buy an RV, but I want to know what I am getting, and this way, I will be able to use my own ideas, not those of some one else. I am hoping to get my bus soon, and have it completed by summer. Just give me some time, and wait for the pictures coming in the future.
loveableleo1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Questions.For SPORTYRICK. or anyone else.
1.running water with TOILET (shower is not necessary) . Are you saying that i need a Flush toilet? Can i use a Composting toilet?

2.you will go to the DMV in Jeff City and you will be GRILLED by them in a whole different way!
Will i actually have to go to Jefferson City or can i go elsewhere?

Thanks for looking.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

conversion law updates

Thanks for this post. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this recently. The original post is from 06 so I didn't know if things had changed much.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows about moving from state to state. For instance, would I need to meet different specs if I got the conversion licensed here in MO as an rv, then moved to a different state. or is it once an rv always an rv type thing?
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird, All American
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 77
I can assist here. Just converted 40ft Blue Bird Transit thru the MO system and when you get done they change the vin numbers ON THE bus to Special RV conversion vin number, the Highway Patrol removes the old on the bus and puts on the new, and it comes with a new title, so it is legal in any other state as an RV.
Bro. Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Beno View Post
I can assist here. Just converted 40ft Blue Bird Transit thru the MO system and when you get done they change the vin numbers ON THE bus to Special RV conversion vin number, the Highway Patrol removes the old on the bus and puts on the new, and it comes with a new title, so it is legal in any other state as an RV.
Sounds like a great system to me and one that actually makes sense.
Bravo M-O.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much. That is indeed good news. I was worried I'd get it licensed in one place then have to go through it again when we move.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Beno View Post
I am buying a bus in california and bringing it over to Missouri. I will not do the conversion till probably the fall/spring of next year. I just want the bus to be legal (titled, registered) have you guys heard what the process of just registerin , not as rv but just BUS at least so I can drive it and have it insured in the meantime. I keep getting different answers from dmv at jeff city first one told me needs to be a commercial tag, I told her but it has not seats and I am not transporting passengers. (I don't want a commercial tag cause wouldn't that make me have to have a cdl?) Second person told me "Under 40 person Passenger Bus" wouldn't that also make me have to use cdl since its registered as under 40 passenger..hell its only gonna have seats for 6 people.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
A bus w/o seats is a commercial truck and is insured as such, a bus w seats is a commercial vehicle under scrutiny as a vehicle that will hall customers for a fee, this is also what the insurance companies will tell you. You are screwed unless you get it to RV status, then things get much easier, especially insurance, my insurance has been $25 a month for the last 12 years through State Farm.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
A bus w/o seats is a commercial truck and is insured as such, a bus w seats is a commercial vehicle under scrutiny as a vehicle that will hall customers for a fee, this is also what the insurance companies will tell you. You are screwed unless you get it to RV status, then things get much easier, especially insurance, my insurance has been $25 a month for the last 12 years through State Farm.
I was referring for titling and registering , I think insurance will be commercial for private use. I just want to make sure I can get registered as bus ..what would they tag it as?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International AmTran Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 48
Thank you

This is sooooo helpful. Thank you.
nocturnalnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Gillig bros. of hayward ca.
Engine: C180 supercharged cummins
turn my bus into a rv

i have a 1946 white school bus i converted ..the past 5 years i have kept it as a bus.. now the insurance company said the will not insure a converted bus anymore.. i was wanting to get it re-titled as a motor home i live in deep south missouri (almost arkansas) and all of this running back and forth to willow springs which is the closest state police station, and then all the way up to jeff city twice seems a bit of a waste.. can it not be done by my local dmv?
whiskey runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Can't help with the DMV thing but I can say...COOL '46! Would love to see better pis of it.

Hopefully, someone here can provide some experience based guidance. Never heard of a state (in the US) where that title change can't be made. It may take a few low level mods to meet their criteria, but...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Right now my Skoolie is not insured and is registered as a bus. The inspection for the conversion and to register as an RV is complete. Today I called several insurance companies and progressive and State Farm basically said if it is registered a an RV and the VIN is for an RV and not a bus I can get insurance. So to drive the bus to get the safety inspection so I can register it, should I insure it as a bus through a different company while it still has a bus registration?
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey runner View Post
i have a 1946 white school bus i converted ..the past 5 years i have kept it as a bus.. now the insurance company said the will not insure a converted bus anymore.. i was wanting to get it re-titled as a motor home i live in deep south missouri (almost arkansas) and all of this running back and forth to willow springs which is the closest state police station, and then all the way up to jeff city twice seems a bit of a waste.. can it not be done by my local dmv?
I'd love to see pics of that old White!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #20

Hey I have a question. Do they consider a composting toilet or camp toilet ok?
NannieNPoppie is offline   Reply With Quote