Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
I’ve had mine with Allstate for 7 weeks. I think I’ve passed!!! Woo hoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good news!!

I am looking forward to a Florida trip. I want to see your bus in person.

For my insurance I went straight to State Farm and have 20 months on one bus and 14 months on the other.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
Almost There

State Farm just quoted me liability for $400 for 6 months...that about the same as what you got?
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
State Farm just quoted me liability for $400 for 6 months...that about the same as what you got?
No. We are paying $160 for six months. We do get "multi-line discounts". We have our house, cars, travel trailer and both buses insured with them.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #24
Almost There

Ok thats about right then, they want us to move our cars and that will cut the rate in half they said, so $200 for 6 months.

The Progressive Quote is MUCH more coverage for $1082 per year:
Policy coverages
Liability (BI) $250,000 person/$500,000 accident
Liability (PD) $100,000 property damage
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury $250,000 person/$500,000 accident (Unstacked)
Personal Injury Protection $10,000/$0 Ded-Named Insured and Relatives
Medical Payments $10,000 each person
Trailer $2,501-$5,000

Vehicle coverages for 1978 Motor Coach Industries MCI-8 Crusader
Physical Damage Settlement Options Actual Cash Value
Comprehensive $250 deductible
Collision $250 deductible
Disappearing Deductibles Selected
Emergency Expense $2,000
Vacation Liability $500,000
Roadside Assistance Selected
Replacement Cost Personal Effects $25,000
Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Good news!!

For my insurance I went straight to State Farm and have 20 months on one bus and 14 months on the other.
Let me know if you're ever headed to FL, we'll BBQ and get some beers.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Do you ever hunt those wild pigs down there for your barbecues?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Good news!!

Let me know when you are down here... I'll be happy to give you a tour!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #28
Almost There

Anyone have any thoughts on the Progressive policy I listed above, seems like alot for the money but is it overkill?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the Progressive policy I listed above, seems like alot for the money but is it overkill?
That is significantly more coverage than is required in Washington state. I know that requirements do vary by state.

That said, if you carry bare minimum insurance here and happen to have a claim of more than $25k you are screwed. These days a pretty good number of the vehicles on the road would cost more than $25k to replace. Carrying more than minimum requirements is probably a good idea.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
That is significantly more coverage than is required in Washington state. I know that requirements do vary by state.

That said, if you carry bare minimum insurance here and happen to have a claim of more than $25k you are screwed. These days a pretty good number of the vehicles on the road would cost more than $25k to replace. Carrying more than minimum requirements is probably a good idea.
On my motorcycle I carry 500/500/500

On the cars I think we have 100/300/100

Liability is cheap, unless you don't have it and on the bike I assume I will always be blamed.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #31

i live in ny. have a 2008 international champion defender 40 pax. i cannot for the life of me find insurance. tried all over.

progressive will insure a bus but not an rv conversion. their commercial policy is 6k per year!!! comp and collision.

wtf...
shaggn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It would help people make recomendations if your location was stated in your profile. Some states are just weird about insurance.

First, if you just got your bus it's not a motorhome yet. It's still a bus. That's why you can't get RV insurance. Until you meet the camping type upgrades to your bus it doesn't qualify as an RV.

Most of us find that contacting an "Independent Insurance Agent" and asking for a "commercial policy for private use" works. They will want your VIN and they'll ask your intended use. For now it's a tailgating vehicle for you and your friends. Don't talk about converting the bus, but don't lie either. Just don't offer information that can cause them to reconsider the policy.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Try these guys:

https://skoolieinsurance.com/

They were ready to get me basic liability over the phone with just some pictures to prove that the bus was being modified.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Just a note about progressive "Commercial for personal use". I went online at the last minute to get insurance for my bus for the drive home. I wanted to wait for the last minute so that if the insurance company decided to change their mind, that I hopefully could get the bus home before they could cancel me.

First, trying to call it an RV on the regular progressive site isn't going to fly, since you specifically have a separate screen that has like three question and one of them is specifically "this is not a bus conversion".

Second, you can type in your info on the commercial side, but they won't issue you a policy online, you end up calling an agent, and repeating just about everything. I sort of wonder if the agents aren't trying to manipulate the system and get credit for the sale rather than a completion of an internet sale.

I told them it was a bus that I was planning on using for personal use, and that I had removed the majority of the seats.

They asked what I was going to do with the bus. It was midnight at this point, and I said 'nothing' several times, what I meant to say was storage on my property. They kept pressing me for what I was going to do with it (are you going to drive it to work, no I am not driving it to work, how about to a job site, etc) , and I finally said I might convert it in the next year. That was a no-go and they weren't able to offer me insurance.

At that point they really didn't want to talk to me, and frankly I had to very nicely ask several times why they didn't want to insure me. They said they didn't want to insure a bus that was going to be converted. They also claimed they wouldn't insure a converted bus (which I think several on here have covered and are on progressive commercial).

So I went back to the website, and requested 'call me now' and got a different rep. I was more careful with what I said, and said mostly storage, but I plan to use it to run to home depot for the big stuff for personal projects around the house (which is an honest assement of how often I will use it for at least awhile). I got insurance. There is a distinct possibility that the first conversation with the other agent might come back to haunt me and result in a cancellation, but I think listening to everyone else, that this was still a possibility at the 3 week mark anyway.

I think I have 250/500 liability only, and it was about $600 a year, which I believe is about twice what it would cost for a comparable RV. And I live in Colorado. I need to figure out how to update my profile with my info.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I told them it was still a bus, and before I considered any further usage I had to drive it home.

Insurance was granted in about 10 minutes.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Something that doesn't seem to get much discussion is the fact that a number of insurance carriers offer automatic liability coverage for their customers on vehicle purchases.

On both of the buses I have picked up recently I have simply contacted my agent to confirm this just for piece of mind. I got the buses home, pulled the seats and then obtained permanent coverage.

Check with your current insurance agent and ask if you have similar temporary coverage available for the trip home before you beat yourself up.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post

I need to figure out how to update my profile with my info.
User CP in upper left here, self explanatory from there.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Something that doesn't seem to get much discussion is the fact that a number of insurance carriers offer automatic liability coverage for their customers on vehicle purchases.

On both of the buses I have picked up recently I have simply contacted my agent to confirm this just for piece of mind. I got the buses home, pulled the seats and then obtained permanent coverage.

Check with your current insurance agent and ask if you have similar temporary coverage available for the trip home before you beat yourself up.

Just my $0.02
Note, I have State Farm for my car insurance, and I'm in Indiana. When I asked my agent about that he told me that State Farm car insurance would not cover a bus in this manner. Definitely check w/ your agent!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Note, I have State Farm for my car insurance, and I'm in Indiana. When I asked my agent about that he told me that State Farm car insurance would not cover a bus in this manner. Definitely check w/ your agent!
Good point. Do check as things vary significantly by state and by carrier.

When I did this I asked about coverage via email and included the vin# as a CYA.

My agent responded that coverage would extend to that vehicle.

Just another option to explore and see if it will work for you.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
In the good old days, I would sort of trust that if an agent said I was good, then I was. In this day and age, not sure if that is something that the parent company wouldn't try to weasel out of if they could if they find out the local agent made a mistake in saying you were covered.

Anyway, I pulled my declaration page of my insurance. I am covered on a regular auto purchase for up to 30 days if I intend and actually register the new vehicle with the company before the 30 days is up (nice to know if you are replacing a vehicle and haven't sold the old one yet). But the language was fairly clear that it was for regular autos only, no commercial vehicles, and I am not even sure it would cover an RV.

Also if you present a declaration page and a proof of insurance for another vehicle, even if the agent is willing to cover you, if a cop doesn't like the wording, you could easily get a ticket for that as well. Its a fairly pricey ticket in Colorado, and its a mandatory ticket, no discretion on the officers part on whether to write it or not.

If its in your home state, you can usually just show up with insurance proof at court and get the insurance ticket reduced to court costs, but would suck if you had to drive back a couple of states to take care of it in a month.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote