Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
My own (positive) GMAC experience.

I needed some fairly basic liability insurance quick and GMAC fit the bill. It is currently running me about $42 a month right now for 6 months up front on a $50k/$100k plan. Not too bad given I was having difficulty finding anyone else to cover the bus, let alone cover it quickly so I could pick up the darn thing. Nationwide turned me down hard, as did others eventually. Unless, it was suggested, I went to some form of ghastly expensive commercial plan.

Once time comes I've put some serious funds into the bus and get to actually use it proper (Rather than keeping it in the field!), I will be revisiting the insurance options available for generous coverage. Given how helpful and upfront GMAC has been so far, I certainly hope to stay with them when that time comes around. After my discussion with agent about my future needs, there certainly seems justification for some optimism.

Anyhoo, that's my two bits.

Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: My own (positive) GMAC experience.

Before you fork out the buck for the more expensive insurance, you might want to talk to the insurance agent about the odd of the insurance company paying out. We only want minimum insurance. It's been my experience that Insurance companies do not pay out. They didn't pay out what they were supposed to for our house that burned. They didn't pay out when some idiot hit our Cadillac (I hate Nationwide). They depreciate everything and then tell us our stuff is worthless. So why would I pay for higher insurance premiums.. I don't have it on anything else. So for the bus,we will run minimums and stick the "premiums " in the savings account. I'm not a big fan of insurance companies. They rank right there with lawyers, cops, drug dealers and doctors.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

What Lorna said
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Before you fork out the buck for the more expensive insurance, you might want to talk to the insurance agent about the odd of the insurance company paying out. We only want minimum insurance. It's been my experience that Insurance companies do not pay out. They didn't pay out what they were supposed to for our house that burned. They didn't pay out when some idiot hit our Cadillac (I hate Nationwide). They depreciate everything and then tell us our stuff is worthless. So why would I pay for higher insurance premiums.. I don't have it on anything else. So for the bus,we will run minimums and stick the "premiums " in the savings account. I'm not a big fan of insurance companies. They rank right there with lawyers, cops, drug dealers and doctors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
What Lorna said
Well, you guys certainly aren't the only one to have been burned on insurance, won't be the last. Still, I intend to put a great deal of money into this home on wheels and if it were to be lost in fire, wreck, or inexplicably swallowed by a whale, the loss would be catastrophic for me. Obviously I will invest significant time in research as to my available options and make sure to study the contract for the exact nature of coverage actually present. If all else fails, there is always drawn out legal battles to bitterly pursue.

It might be better, however, that a discussion of the evils of insurance as a whole be taken to another thread. I had only wished to express my recent satisfaction with GMAC.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

So far it seems that GMAC is the only outfit offering Liability insurance on skoolies without canceling the policy out shortly after issuing. Anything more and I believe you are at risk to be canceled. I wasn't knocking GMAC. I was just pointing out that you need to make sure you fully understand IF you will truly be covered.

If your bus gets swallowed by a whale... I want to see pictures!!!!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Skoolie

Fair enough! ...As for the pictures, I expect the agent will asking for those as well.

"While it is an impressive whale, I do not see your bus." "...but..."
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
What Lorna said
Well, you guys certainly aren't the only one to have been burned on insurance, won't be the last. Still, I intend to put a great deal of money into this home on wheels and if it were to be lost in fire, wreck, or inexplicably swallowed by a whale, the loss would be catastrophic for me. Obviously I will invest significant time in research as to my available options and make sure to study the contract for the exact nature of coverage actually present. If all else fails, there is always drawn out legal battles to bitterly pursue.

It might be better, however, that a discussion of the evils of insurance as a whole be taken to another thread. I had only wished to express my recent satisfaction with GMAC.

Been with GMAC for about 4 years under basic covreage.Only put about 20,000 on it'I think'.

I understand though that you want whatever you can get if something happens.
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote