Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.7 L 3116 CAT V6-Inline
Rated Cap: 60
N.C. INSURANCE! HELP!

Ok so, (smart ass) DMV inspector came out, said we had to fix a few things, which would total about $400. So then i thought well, ill see if i can run it as personal use and just skip that. I have GMAC for my vehicles, so i called them and they said in NC it will not matter what its titled as, they cant do it as RV. So i said ok, lets try personal use, so he forwaded me to another department, they said NO because of the weight. So then he suggested, commercial (YIKESS) so i said ok, and of course they said no, because its not for a business. So he suggested another company...i tried state farm,-- NO!
So if anyone could give me so ideas or pointers that would be great,....we leave for our journey in a mont !! yikes!! But i swore, GMAC covered conversions! But he said its different in NC....but mabey it could have just been the rep. i was talking to.
thanks,
-jake

telluriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: N.C. INSURANCE! HELP!

(DMV inspector was an attempt to retile as an RV)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

That doesn't seem logical as nc must allow entertainer coach conversions and gmac would insure them i am pretty sure.. after all, you have a motorhome on that chassis... not a school bus... (hopefully you didnt tell them it was a school bus...)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

When you ask about insurance, you say "RV" not bus. Not school bus RV.

RV RV RV RV RV RV RV

R

V

What do you have?

An RV.

Got it?

Now, call GMAC and get your state minimum insurance. You apparently can't do it online (I tried) but they list a number to call. And don't forget. You have an RV. Stop giving so much info.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

So when i tell them RV, dont they run the VIN # and see that its a BUS?
which, does that mean i NEEED to retitle? It would be nice not to, as the guy in my county wasnt too friendly
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Yes, you need to retitle. A little hassle now, saves you much hassle later. Contact the NC State website via email to get the correct (& current) info on what you need to change the title from bus to RV. PRINT A HARD COPY OF THE REPLY and take it with you to the local DMV. If your local DMV is staffed by the same rejects the Macon County (NC) DMV is staffed with, then you will have to explain to them a few times that you have spoken to the STATE officials and show them the paper which they will look at and then show others in their office the same paper... kinda like giving a monkey something and then it shows others in the group.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

An Update:
So eventually, i got a hold of a really nice guy at progressive. Told him how i had been through the ringer, and he agreed to help. Since he was an under-writer for Allied (An allstate branch) he checked some figures, got my info and such, and bang $246 a year!!!! Did not have to send "seat pics" or anything. I couldnt believe that quote, especially with my driving record: two trucks totaled and a speeding ticket, but they were a few years back. Either way, i was exstatic! He was so nice and helpful, i guess it really does depend on who you talk to. I was so close to giving up after like the 12th agent i had spoken with and just going to get a SC license, but i tried once more!
Then at the DMV i was told that i didnt even have to get it inspected till next year since the bus came from out of state! $90 later, bang we got a legal bus and i framed the proof of insurance!!! hahhaahhaa
thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird Conventional
Chassis: International S-1753
Engine: 6.9L IDI
Rated Cap: 65

Hey there, I live in NC, and I when I bought my first Bus, I asked around online and alot of guys told me that State Farm was the best way to go for Bus/RV insurance. So, I payed a visit to my local branch office and they were extremely nice, and helpful. Now, I ran into the predicament of what I really wanted to do with my Bus, I had, had all hopes of making it into a simple type of skoolie, but after doing some figures, they told me somewhere in the 500's a year for insurance. And, I really didn't want to do that. So, the woman said well, I could keep it titled as a "Private Bus" and the insurance wouldn't be but $180 every 6 months. [{(BUT)}] I HAD TO GET MY Bus CDL's to drive it legally. So, after a year trying with the DMV, I ended up taking a county's School Bus class, and I was able to get my Class B license with my passenger, and school bus endorsement. So, long story short, After I got my CDL's state farm became my best friend, lol and I've never had any trouble with them...