Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 63
Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
NC - insurance for temp tag

Just got off the phone with Progressive about a personal for commerical use policy. I screwed up by saying on the online quote that I had removed the seats and I wasn't prepared with an answer when the guy on the phone pushed me about why I had taken the seats out.

What are some appropriate answers for the next time I try to talk to an insurance company? If I say it's for a sole proprietorship, like, I'm using it to move goats in my farm? But I don't own property, or a business . And can you recommend anyone in NC?

I'm trying to move the bus 6 miles up the road in 4 weeks, I have a CDL driver to move it, and I've started the Vermont title conversion process but USPS seems to have lost the envelope according to the tracking number so I'm trying to just get it covered for the drive. I did go ahead and pick up AAA in case I need to tow, but they won't until it's retitled.

Yes, I knew this part was gonna suck.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,779
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I took the seats out of mine so I could make room to carry my quads.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 63
Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I took the seats out of mine so I could make room to carry my quads.
I'm using it to house goats on my friend's farmland?

I'm just imagining all the follow up questions like, no I don't have a farm tax ID number...
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
naes14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 43
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
Asheville Eh? I'm here in Weaverville. I'm curious as to what you find out. I've had to move my bus a couple times but I am able to keep it parked now so I'm avoiding insurance until my build is further along. If your seats are already out you shouldn't need to have someone with a cdl move it
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 63
Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Asheville Eh? I'm here in Weaverville. I'm curious as to what you find out. I've had to move my bus a couple times but I am able to keep it parked now so I'm avoiding insurance until my build is further along. If your seats are already out you shouldn't need to have someone with a cdl move it
Hi neighbor!

It's a whole damn thing and depends on who you're talking to. I'm in Candler but I'll be going up to Burnsville to talk to a private insurance co that insured a friend's bus as a "goat house".

What I've learned about "seats out = no CDL" is that the "legal" answer and the "can you get away with it" are different and I have bad luck. I'm hiring a friend with a CDL to move it bc it's like 35ft long and it scares me a lot. I'll learn to drive it later....

How did you move it without insurance?
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,779
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Elliott,

Congrats on the bus!

Regarding CDL & insurance.

I have been able to move my new bus purchases with insurance as my carrier extends coverage to newly purchased vehicles automatically for two weeks. I emailed my agent asking her to verify that my coverage extended to my new purchase VIN#12345667? When she responded Yes I printed that out and along with my insurance card from my truck was my proof of insurance.

CDL requirements vary considerably by state. Here in WA if it weighs over 26k lbs, regardless of seats, you must have a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. Check your states requirements.

I title my buses as RV as soon as I get them. That keeps me CDL legal.

I have to insure "commercial for personal" until I get the conversion finished.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 63
Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Elliott,

Congrats on the bus!

Regarding CDL & insurance.

I have been able to move my new bus purchases with insurance as my carrier extends coverage to newly purchased vehicles automatically for two weeks. I emailed my agent asking her to verify that my coverage extended to my new purchase VIN#12345667? When she responded Yes I printed that out and along with my insurance card from my truck was my proof of insurance.

CDL requirements vary considerably by state. Here in WA if it weighs over 26k lbs, regardless of seats, you must have a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. Check your states requirements.

I title my buses as RV as soon as I get them. That keeps me CDL legal.

I have to insure "commercial for personal" until I get the conversion finished.
Smart. I have been turned down for a "commercial for personal use" policy specifically because I admitted to taking the seats out for conversion. I need some better excuses.

Who do you have for post-conversion insurance? I don't think I'll have this thing retitled in 4 weeks, but I'm trying to do the Vermont thing right now. I've just found companies who refuse to offer RV coverage to retitled skoolies.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
naes14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 43
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
Make sure you are pursuing a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy and not a "Personal Commercial" policy. They aren't the same thing. You don't need proof of a business because you are using it for personal use.

Concerning NC specific law I pulled the following from a Raleigh law office:

A CDL is required of drivers, paid or volunteer, who drive the following types of vehicles:

Class A Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicleweight rating, GVWR, of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excessof 10,000 pounds.

Class B Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class C Any vehicle not described in Class A or B above but is: Designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under C.F.R., Part 172, Subpart F.

You do not need a CDL to drive RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MILITARY EQUIPMENT, FIRE and/or EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT, or CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 866
I enjoy finding antique furniture and stuff to restore, go to auctions and estate sales, need to move it between my home(s) and storage locations.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 63
Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I enjoy finding antique furniture and stuff to restore, go to auctions and estate sales, need to move it between my home(s) and storage locations.
Oh that's good.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.