Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
NC - insurance for temp tag

Just got off the phone with Progressive about a personal for commerical use policy. I screwed up by saying on the online quote that I had removed the seats and I wasn't prepared with an answer when the guy on the phone pushed me about why I had taken the seats out.

What are some appropriate answers for the next time I try to talk to an insurance company? If I say it's for a sole proprietorship, like, I'm using it to move goats in my farm? But I don't own property, or a business . And can you recommend anyone in NC?

I'm trying to move the bus 6 miles up the road in 4 weeks, I have a CDL driver to move it, and I've started the Vermont title conversion process but USPS seems to have lost the envelope according to the tracking number so I'm trying to just get it covered for the drive. I did go ahead and pick up AAA in case I need to tow, but they won't until it's retitled.

Yes, I knew this part was gonna suck.

elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I took the seats out of mine so I could make room to carry my quads.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I took the seats out of mine so I could make room to carry my quads.
I'm using it to house goats on my friend's farmland?

I'm just imagining all the follow up questions like, no I don't have a farm tax ID number...
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
Asheville Eh? I'm here in Weaverville. I'm curious as to what you find out. I've had to move my bus a couple times but I am able to keep it parked now so I'm avoiding insurance until my build is further along. If your seats are already out you shouldn't need to have someone with a cdl move it
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Asheville Eh? I'm here in Weaverville. I'm curious as to what you find out. I've had to move my bus a couple times but I am able to keep it parked now so I'm avoiding insurance until my build is further along. If your seats are already out you shouldn't need to have someone with a cdl move it
Hi neighbor!

It's a whole damn thing and depends on who you're talking to. I'm in Candler but I'll be going up to Burnsville to talk to a private insurance co that insured a friend's bus as a "goat house".

What I've learned about "seats out = no CDL" is that the "legal" answer and the "can you get away with it" are different and I have bad luck. I'm hiring a friend with a CDL to move it bc it's like 35ft long and it scares me a lot. I'll learn to drive it later....

How did you move it without insurance?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Elliott,

Congrats on the bus!

Regarding CDL & insurance.

I have been able to move my new bus purchases with insurance as my carrier extends coverage to newly purchased vehicles automatically for two weeks. I emailed my agent asking her to verify that my coverage extended to my new purchase VIN#12345667? When she responded Yes I printed that out and along with my insurance card from my truck was my proof of insurance.

CDL requirements vary considerably by state. Here in WA if it weighs over 26k lbs, regardless of seats, you must have a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. Check your states requirements.

I title my buses as RV as soon as I get them. That keeps me CDL legal.

I have to insure "commercial for personal" until I get the conversion finished.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Elliott,

Congrats on the bus!

Regarding CDL & insurance.

I have been able to move my new bus purchases with insurance as my carrier extends coverage to newly purchased vehicles automatically for two weeks. I emailed my agent asking her to verify that my coverage extended to my new purchase VIN#12345667? When she responded Yes I printed that out and along with my insurance card from my truck was my proof of insurance.

CDL requirements vary considerably by state. Here in WA if it weighs over 26k lbs, regardless of seats, you must have a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. Check your states requirements.

I title my buses as RV as soon as I get them. That keeps me CDL legal.

I have to insure "commercial for personal" until I get the conversion finished.
Smart. I have been turned down for a "commercial for personal use" policy specifically because I admitted to taking the seats out for conversion. I need some better excuses.

Who do you have for post-conversion insurance? I don't think I'll have this thing retitled in 4 weeks, but I'm trying to do the Vermont thing right now. I've just found companies who refuse to offer RV coverage to retitled skoolies.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt 466e
Make sure you are pursuing a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy and not a "Personal Commercial" policy. They aren't the same thing. You don't need proof of a business because you are using it for personal use.

Concerning NC specific law I pulled the following from a Raleigh law office:

A CDL is required of drivers, paid or volunteer, who drive the following types of vehicles:

Class A – Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicleweight rating, GVWR, of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excessof 10,000 pounds.

Class B – Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class C – Any vehicle not described in Class A or B above but is: Designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under C.F.R., Part 172, Subpart F.

You do not need a CDL to drive RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MILITARY EQUIPMENT, FIRE and/or EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT, or CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I enjoy finding antique furniture and stuff to restore, go to auctions and estate sales, need to move it between my home(s) and storage locations.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I enjoy finding antique furniture and stuff to restore, go to auctions and estate sales, need to move it between my home(s) and storage locations.
Oh that's good.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
In North Carolina your drivers license is good for 26'001 pounds of GV
I am titled as a bus for personal use.
My insurance company will cover me for 30-days for new vehicles.
Just say it's a bus for personal use.
Elizabeth velthoven with nationwide in Hampstead,nc
Don't have her number in front of me yet. Don't mention anything but bus for personal use and if they ask give them as little as possible.
To move it 6-miles?
I am an old Texas boy so would probably have haul a tractor over to where the bus is and hit the road with nothing and Let the tractor follow me out to hold traffic back for a little?
Put an in transit sign in the window?
Last time I brought an old truck to my house with NO tags or insurance or bill of sale the officer gave me a warNing and said next time go to the DMV and get temp. Tags?
I said I thought they were only given to dealership's?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
In North Carolina your drivers license is good for 26'001 pounds of GV
I am titled as a bus for personal use.
My insurance company will cover me for 30-days for new vehicles.
Just say it's a bus for personal use.
Elizabeth velthoven with nationwide in Hampstead,nc
Don't have her number in front of me yet. Don't mention anything but bus for personal use and if they ask give them as little as possible.
To move it 6-miles?
I am an old Texas boy so would probably have haul a tractor over to where the bus is and hit the road with nothing and Let the tractor follow me out to hold traffic back for a little?
Put an in transit sign in the window?
Last time I brought an old truck to my house with NO tags or insurance or bill of sale the officer gave me a warNing and said next time go to the DMV and get temp. Tags?
I said I thought they were only given to dealership's?
I'm definitely country enough to move it without tags (love the tractor idea! We have one of those). I moved an RV a few years ago with a 10 day tag and was planning that again.

Thanks for the name recommendation! I'll see if I can find her.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
I'm definitely country enough to move it without tags (love the tractor idea! We have one of those). I moved an RV a few years ago with a 10 day tag and was planning that again.

Thanks for the name recommendation! I'll see if I can find her.
Customer service
910-270-3017
Was going to take a pic of my policy front page but guess my camera ain't working? Sorry
Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Dealing with a load of goats I figured you might have a tractor and that's why I mentioned it?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh that's good.
Mama was strict, raised a sneaky boy
Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Smart. I have been turned down for a "commercial for personal use" policy specifically because I admitted to taking the seats out for conversion. I need some better excuses.

Who do you have for post-conversion insurance? I don't think I'll have this thing retitled in 4 weeks, but I'm trying to do the Vermont thing right now. I've just found companies who refuse to offer RV coverage to retitled skoolies.
My insurance company requires that I send pictures showing completion and will convert the policy to RV.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #17

Year: 1957
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 391 Ford Industrial motor out of a Brinks truck
Rated Cap: 32 passenger
RE: Insurance

My experience has been that no insurance company will register a 'school bus' or 'bus conversion', although to be fair it's been probably 40 years since I've tried. Instead I tell them it's an 'RV' at which point they want a year, make, and model. So I say it's a 1957 Ford chassis with a Wayne body, and that covers all the slots they feel they need to fill out. I do NOT ever say that it's Ford B600 or mention the word 'bus' because either way then they'd know it's a bus and they'd say 'sorry sir but we do not insure buses'.

What you gotta live with is that this gets you a proof of insurance card so that you can drive legally, and that's all. A cop who sees that card will check off that box in his head and you'll be okay. HOWEVER if you ever do have an accident resulting in an in-person investigation by an insurance company person you're probably screwed, because every insurance company will try to weasel out of any coverage you've paid for through any loophole they can find. It's less than ideal but it's the only thing to do that's ever worked for me. If anyone knows of any insurance company that will actually insure a privately owned bus conversion RV I would love to know about it!
American Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Trekker View Post
My experience has been that no insurance company will register a 'school bus' or 'bus conversion', although to be fair it's been probably 40 years since I've tried. Instead I tell them it's an 'RV' at which point they want a year, make, and model. So I say it's a 1957 Ford chassis with a Wayne body, and that covers all the slots they feel they need to fill out. I do NOT ever say that it's Ford B600 or mention the word 'bus' because either way then they'd know it's a bus and they'd say 'sorry sir but we do not insure buses'.

What you gotta live with is that this gets you a proof of insurance card so that you can drive legally, and that's all. A cop who sees that card will check off that box in his head and you'll be okay. HOWEVER if you ever do have an accident resulting in an in-person investigation by an insurance company person you're probably screwed, because every insurance company will try to weasel out of any coverage you've paid for through any loophole they can find. It's less than ideal but it's the only thing to do that's ever worked for me. If anyone knows of any insurance company that will actually insure a privately own bus conversion RV I would love to know about it!
Stick around and read all the insurance threads on this forum. Many of us have no issues at all in insuring a qualified RV.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Liability - only, vs comprehensive?

makes a huge difference
Old 10-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #20

No CDL in NC for vehicle under 26,000lbs
Peaceful Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote