Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Huskerbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 144
Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Nebraska Insurance

I have money set aside, and the auction closes at noon tomorrow, but cannot even get a price on insurance... wont bid until I know for sure I can get home legally, any companies out there?
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,174
Step 1: Call your current auto insurance provider and ask how much coverage they automatically extend to a newly purchased vehicle. Feed them the VIN and verify that the answer is the same. Tell them it's a "former school bus" and see if the answer changes. From what I hear on the forum, it's a crapshoot but some do extend courtesy coverage for 10 or 20 days.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Huskerbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 144
Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
I am quite familiar with this tactic, I am a commercial underwriter and can see the potential for claims issues from a mile away...
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,174
1) If you practice full disclosure and your provider tells you that they will extend the same short-term courtesy coverage to a Bluebird All American that they would to a Chevy Malibu, where's the downside?

2) If you are a commercial underwriter, I would think that you would know enough about the world of insurance that we should be asking you for advice instead of vice versa. Are the various segments of the insurance industry that isolated from one another?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Huskerbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 144
Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
1) If you practice full disclosure and your provider tells you that they will extend the same short-term courtesy coverage to a Bluebird All American that they would to a Chevy Malibu, where's the downside?

2) If you are a commercial underwriter, I would think that you would know enough about the world of insurance that we should be asking you for advice instead of vice versa. Are the various segments of the insurance industry that isolated from one another?
My first call was to my current insurer (Geico) and got shuffled around to several different people and ultimately told no. may be worth a second effort.

I work for a company that insures exclusively, and is owned by the catholic church. So in so many words, we behave rather differently than what you would normally see.
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
My first call was to my current insurer (Geico) and got shuffled around to several different people and ultimately told no. may be worth a second effort.

I work for a company that insures exclusively, and is owned by the catholic church. So in so many words, we behave rather differently than what you would normally see.
I hear you. IIRC Geico has told other people on the forum the same answer, but at the moment I'm not going to research that.

I have a friend who's in the specialty insurance business as well. Her wheelhouse is putting together insurance packages, often backed by a pool of companies, for certain high risk customers. (I'm in the US Hang Gliding Association, and I found out that she put our site insurance together!) She doesn't know squat about car insurance either.

Would what you do be viewed from the outside as a form of self-insurance, or are there conventional insurance companies assuming the risk? Just curious.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Huskerbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 144
Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I hear you. IIRC Geico has told other people on the forum the same answer, but at the moment I'm not going to research that.

I have a friend who's in the specialty insurance business as well. Her wheelhouse is putting together insurance packages, often backed by a pool of companies, for certain high risk customers. (I'm in the US Hang Gliding Association, and I found out that she put our site insurance together!) She doesn't know squat about car insurance either.

Would what you do be viewed from the outside as a form of self-insurance, or are there conventional insurance companies assuming the risk? Just curious.
Well that's a fun coincidence!

Yes, you are spot on!

Its frustrating because I see policies with dozens of buses on them... but I cant use the insurance at my own company
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,286
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Well I now have experience in the whole process. The first fuel stop I made in my bus I clipped a light pole pulling into the gas station and bending it over some. After getting out and informing the guy at the register, who was hispanic and didn't speak english well, looked at me with no concern and seemed to not understand, so I was going to leave it at that,but some lady overheard me and went to the back and let the oriental owner know I had hit his pole. Well as much as I hate to be racist, this guy came out, both barrels loaded just rating hell. At first I didn't want to give him my insurance info for a number of reasons, first it was private property and I'd prefer to handle it out of pocket to avoid my rates going up. 2ndly and most important is after inspecting the pole it is clear it has been hit a number of times and bend over. No repair was made, only pushed back up straight. The base where it is bent over is completely rusted through and torn on 2 sides from not being repaired properly. All I'm accepting responsibility for is some paint. After he ranted for so long and called the police and all I decided it wasn't worth my time fighting this guy and just gave him my insurance card, which he now didn't want, waiting on the cops. I called my agent to let him know what happened and more so to get my policy number as my card got wet in the hospital (another braindead story). Cop showed up, said all he could do is take a report as it's on private property. Keep in mind I'm in a bus with no tag and only a current BOS and title signed over to me. I tell him I'm insured under my current policy for 7 days and that Ga. allows me to drive on the BOS for 30 days (which means nothing to other states) He informs me that I need some sort of tag, but he's letting me side on it. He asks to tak to my agent after I tell him I'm on the phone with them. I show him the screen that says STATE FARM and he asks my agent if I'm covered and is told yes. So he takes info for the report and sends me on my way. The guy immediately called and filed a claim which I will deny fault when I show them the existing damage pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180613_095443.jpg (388.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180613_095432.jpg (355.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180613_094708.jpg (302.9 KB, 1 views)
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Huskerbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 144
Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Goodnes... I would of taped a $20 to and hit the road��

Sorry to hear your trip home went that way...

I am striking out with EVERYONE. Just got off the phone with State Farm... NOPE
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,286
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
Goodnes... I would of taped a $20 to and hit the road��

Sorry to hear your trip home went that way...

I am striking out with EVERYONE. Just got off the phone with State Farm... NOPE
State Farm said no to what, insuring it as a bus? We know they won't. Ask your agent to recommend a competitor to write a "commercial for private use" policy. Set it up on payment so you only put a small down and then monthly payments. This way you can cel the insurance once you get it home, convert it and then insure and title it as an RV.

I could have just driven off, I have no tag or identifying numbers on it. I stayed and did the right thing, another case of "no good deed goes unpunished. I finally sent the pictures to my agent and I think he is still ROTFLHAO
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.