Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.5 Liter Diesel
Rated Cap: 20
Nebreaska title/Ins regs

Hi all,
I'm new to the site. I did browse all the topics on this forum and didn't see any posts listed as NE. Any info or help from anyone in the know on NE rules and regs for decomissioned school busses would be appreciated.
I know in WI you can't keep it yellow, but I can't find any such info on the NE DMV page. I did find the RV classification info (4 of a list of possible permanent life support systems must be installed such as refrigerator, toilet w tank, water system with sink and faucet etc etc).

I'm looking at buying a 95 Chevy cutaway 90k miles, and it is currently titled in NE I believe. It is yellow and has all the original lights, stop sign etc. It's had the lettering redone to reflect a Far Side reference "MIDVALE SCHOOL FOR THE GIFTED".

Just trying to figure out if I should leave it as a bus, take out some seats, convert it... what's cheapest, etc.

Pics below:

JStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Nebreaska title/Ins regs

What I ferreted out from Nebraska Revised Statutes:

"When any vehicle with a manufacturer's rated seating capacity of eleven or more passengers used for transportation of students is sold and used for any other purpose than for transportation of students, such vehicle shall be painted a distinct color other than that prescribed by the State Board of Education and the stop arms and system of alternately flashing warning signal lights on such vehicle shall be removed. It shall be the purchaser's responsibility to see that the modifications required by this section are made. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class V misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than one hundred dollars."

They don't specify whether the entire vehicle's color has to be changed but one can assume that, or at least that the color must be changed so that it obviously isn't a school bus in service. If I decide to keep the basic rear-end design I probably will use either white or a shade of yellow that's far enough away from "official" NSBY.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.5 Liter Diesel
Rated Cap: 20

Thanks for (long awaited) info! Was thinking this was maybe a dead board.

I ended up buying the bus and it's still yellow and has all lights and signs operational at this point. I intend to use it for Burning Man so I don't think I'll go to the trouble of getting it painted or having stuff removed until we're back. I can afford the fine if I should get it and it's cheaper than the cost of repainting an entire school bus! (What a rip too, no one tells you the law when you title/register it. Guess they just hope to catch you out there and rack up a fine)
JStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

I know this is a very old board but I wanted to provide this information for anyone who may be searching for it. This is directly from the Nebraska DMV

“Conversion of School Bus to Mobile Home - When any school bus is sold and used for any other purpose than for transportation of school children, the following must be done:

 Bus must be painted any color other than “school bus” yellow;
and
 The stop arms and alternating, flashing warning signals must be removed.

To be considered a mobile home, the unit must provide at least four of the following:
 cooking
 refrigeration or ice box
 self-contained toilet
 heating and/or air conditioning
 a potable water supply system, including a faucet and sink
 separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply
 an LP gas supply

The body type on the Certificate of Title may be changed to mobile home.“
Busnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote