Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Need help to get on the road

Hi guys I'm new to the skoolie thing, i just recently bought a 2002 thonas saf-t-liner with the dream of converting it to a motor home to be able to travel with my family we are in a tighter budget since my wife had to stop working to take care of my daughter with cancer, I been trying to insurance while working on my bus I try calling almost all the insurance companies and only 2 would insure my bus but it has to be completed and I would have to summit pictures, I was wondering if any of you guys could help us may be letting us borrow some pictures or even better is you guys know where can I insure it in florida before it's done, we would really appreciate it
Shibunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 842
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
There are quite a few Florida skoolies that should reply fairly soon.
If not PM ECCB. He is busy right now cause he just sold a SKOOLIE in FLO. And is bringing his new one in from Texas.
Or try wanderwoman who is from the area and on the road with insurance.
They can speak specifically for Florida insurance.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,241
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibunn View Post
Hi guys I'm new to the skoolie thing, i just recently bought a 2002 thonas saf-t-liner with the dream of converting it to a motor home to be able to travel with my family we are in a tighter budget since my wife had to stop working to take care of my daughter with cancer, I been trying to insurance while working on my bus I try calling almost all the insurance companies and only 2 would insure my bus but it has to be completed and I would have to summit pictures, I was wondering if any of you guys could help us may be letting us borrow some pictures or even better is you guys know where can I insure it in florida before it's done, we would really appreciate it
As long as you haven't tried to insure it as an RV through their site, Progressive Commercial will insure you. A commercial policy for private use, its pretty easy.
What do you do for work?

When trying to buy insurance there's one thing to avoid- that's TMI or Too Much Information! Don't mention "conversion" until its completely done.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Hi I have called them already and that was the first thing they asked me so I told them it want gonna be converted the problem is the title is already transferred as a motor home, I called goodsam and another company and they gave me a quote for around 600 per year which it was reasonable, I thought it wasn't bad at all but it needs to be completely done and have to send them pictures I have not gave them the vin# or actual info of the bus
Shibunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,241
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibunn View Post
Hi I have called them already and that was the first thing they asked me so I told them it want gonna be converted the problem is the title is already transferred as a motor home, I called goodsam and another company and they gave me a quote for around 600 per year which it was reasonable, I thought it wasn't bad at all but it needs to be completely done and have to send them pictures I have not gave them the vin# or actual info of the bus
A lot of folks mistakenly think having it titled as MH is beneficial, which until its actually converted it is not.
You can probably go online and setup a policy, and ignore the MH aspect. Insure it as a bus.
https://www.progressive.com/commercial-insurance/
I had one titled as a bus and one titled as MH. Both insured through progressive commercial. I was very clear with them that no conversion was being done and that the city required MH on the title to park my bus, which was true.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,241
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm a handy kind of guy, so my buses are for "mobile storage".
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Foot of the siskiyou mountains Oregon.
Posts: 98
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
After pulling all the seats out of my bus in some guys yard in southern California where I bought it, i just proped up a counter and put a camp stove and a bunch of food on it...then got a mattress and laid it on some saw horses with a tapestry hanging off the front so you couldn't tell any different. with my father sleeping in a camp chair, I snapped a few pictures and sent them to my insurance company (GMAC/national general) and was insured in a couple of days.i then pulled it all out and stuffed it,along with the seats, in to the back of the truck we drove down in and hauled it all back north 700 miles to Oregon where I got to start working on the real conversion
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I just filled that "Quote" page in.

$270 per year 100/300/50
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Thhank you for the advice but here in florida according to all the agents I talk this is the only state they won't insure the bus unles is completely done and just a couple companies would do it that's what they have told me and I try the commercial insurance and it's 300 bucks more than the motor home insurance
Shibunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,241
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibunn View Post
Thhank you for the advice but here in florida according to all the agents I talk this is the only state they won't insure the bus unles is completely done and just a couple companies would do it that's what they have told me and I try the commercial insurance and it's 300 bucks more than the motor home insurance
I live in FL. I've told you how I got insurance. Just got a guy insurance who bought my last bus, too. Just this week.
Best of luck, man.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.