Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Need help to get on the road

Hi guys I'm new to the skoolie thing, i just recently bought a 2002 thonas saf-t-liner with the dream of converting it to a motor home to be able to travel with my family we are in a tighter budget since my wife had to stop working to take care of my daughter with cancer, I been trying to insurance while working on my bus I try calling almost all the insurance companies and only 2 would insure my bus but it has to be completed and I would have to summit pictures, I was wondering if any of you guys could help us may be letting us borrow some pictures or even better is you guys know where can I insure it in florida before it's done, we would really appreciate it

Shibunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
There are quite a few Florida skoolies that should reply fairly soon.
If not PM ECCB. He is busy right now cause he just sold a SKOOLIE in FLO. And is bringing his new one in from Texas.
Or try wanderwoman who is from the area and on the road with insurance.
They can speak specifically for Florida insurance.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibunn View Post
Hi guys I'm new to the skoolie thing, i just recently bought a 2002 thonas saf-t-liner with the dream of converting it to a motor home to be able to travel with my family we are in a tighter budget since my wife had to stop working to take care of my daughter with cancer, I been trying to insurance while working on my bus I try calling almost all the insurance companies and only 2 would insure my bus but it has to be completed and I would have to summit pictures, I was wondering if any of you guys could help us may be letting us borrow some pictures or even better is you guys know where can I insure it in florida before it's done, we would really appreciate it
As long as you haven't tried to insure it as an RV through their site, Progressive Commercial will insure you. A commercial policy for private use, its pretty easy.
What do you do for work?

When trying to buy insurance there's one thing to avoid- that's TMI or Too Much Information! Don't mention "conversion" until its completely done.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Hi I have called them already and that was the first thing they asked me so I told them it want gonna be converted the problem is the title is already transferred as a motor home, I called goodsam and another company and they gave me a quote for around 600 per year which it was reasonable, I thought it wasn't bad at all but it needs to be completely done and have to send them pictures I have not gave them the vin# or actual info of the bus
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hi I have called them already and that was the first thing they asked me so I told them it want gonna be converted the problem is the title is already transferred as a motor home, I called goodsam and another company and they gave me a quote for around 600 per year which it was reasonable, I thought it wasn't bad at all but it needs to be completely done and have to send them pictures I have not gave them the vin# or actual info of the bus
A lot of folks mistakenly think having it titled as MH is beneficial, which until its actually converted it is not.
You can probably go online and setup a policy, and ignore the MH aspect. Insure it as a bus.
https://www.progressive.com/commercial-insurance/
I had one titled as a bus and one titled as MH. Both insured through progressive commercial. I was very clear with them that no conversion was being done and that the city required MH on the title to park my bus, which was true.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I'm a handy kind of guy, so my buses are for "mobile storage".
Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
After pulling all the seats out of my bus in some guys yard in southern California where I bought it, i just proped up a counter and put a camp stove and a bunch of food on it...then got a mattress and laid it on some saw horses with a tapestry hanging off the front so you couldn't tell any different. with my father sleeping in a camp chair, I snapped a few pictures and sent them to my insurance company (GMAC/national general) and was insured in a couple of days.i then pulled it all out and stuffed it,along with the seats, in to the back of the truck we drove down in and hauled it all back north 700 miles to Oregon where I got to start working on the real conversion
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I just filled that "Quote" page in.

$270 per year 100/300/50

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Thhank you for the advice but here in florida according to all the agents I talk this is the only state they won't insure the bus unles is completely done and just a couple companies would do it that's what they have told me and I try the commercial insurance and it's 300 bucks more than the motor home insurance
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thhank you for the advice but here in florida according to all the agents I talk this is the only state they won't insure the bus unles is completely done and just a couple companies would do it that's what they have told me and I try the commercial insurance and it's 300 bucks more than the motor home insurance
I live in FL. I've told you how I got insurance. Just got a guy insurance who bought my last bus, too. Just this week.
Best of luck, man.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
every state is different.. in ohio progressive was easy.. one of my busses is titled as a MH but still has some seats... progressive has never said a word and ive renewed it already.. the other bus is titled / registered as a bus and they have never said a word.. renewed that one too.. progressive is based in Ohio and I think has a major presence in florida so might be a reason why its been different to get it...

the main Gist of insurance to me seems to be you need one policy for while your bus is still a bus and then another for after its converted fully..

if you tell progressive you are making a camper / home. you will get denied on a commercial policy.. if you tell them its a bus they are fine.

in fact one word answers that are not total lies are good..
"is it a bus? yes"
" is it staying a bus? yes" - once its no longer a bus you will swap insurance companies so you arent lying.. its a bus till you convert it..

I never asked progressive what the threshold is for them to define it as a Motorhome vs a bus.. mine is easy as unless i have my cooler , air mattress, and portable A/C, generator on board it looks like a bus.. most of the seats on one side are still intact.. and I have 2 bench seats mounted to plywood up front that i can take in and out. so its pretty much a bus..

as ive mentioned in various other threads, insurance is about numbers... can an insurance company offer a product in an area to a specific customer and make money? thats the risk question they ask...

each and every one of us is at a different address and are different people with different risk factors associated.. (age, history, driving record, address, occupation, etc)...

the premium game - stakes are high, one loss can make you totally unprofitable for that insurance company.. ie - if I go too fast in my $50,000 truck on the ice and total it... pretty much every premium payment ive made is wiped out and then some... even after 20 years with the same company.. worse yet if in totalling that truck I hit a mini van full of kids and send 3 of them to the hospital....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote