Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need Ins help in the Maritimes, Canada

I've been paying $149 a year for total coverage of my schoolie for a couple of years now. Its a 82 Int 1700s with drivetrain and suspension out of a 5 ton dumptruck. (8.2turbo/5spd) The interior is out of a smashed up class A and there is a 16ft vehicle area in back with a ramp to haul the racecar.
So...I was paying $149, then when we go to pay the bill for another year (on house/cottage/car/truck/motorhome) we find out the bus went from 149 to $1300!!!!
The wife called them and they said "if you don't like it, go somewhere else"

My problem is, in the Maritimes (when I tried to get ins before) I called everywhere and since it is not a "professional conversion with a plate identifying a manufacturing facility" they won't insure it. I went back to my current ins company at that time and said they were already insuring it, reactivate it. Now two years later I get a massive bump in price.

My question, who else in that Maritimes (or anyone for that matter) has a schoolie and where do you get your ins from? I tried "silver wheels" which is a hotrod type insurance place but they balked as well.

Help!!

goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Crisis averted!
Aviva insurance will do skoolie conversions in the maritimes, $300 a year full coverage with $1000 deductible. Done deal, got it through rbc ins broker in Halifax.

Oh, also found out State Farm does it as well but are only in N.B., Ontario and B.C.
And they were bought out by Desgardain ins.

Thanks all
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote