Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Need insurance? Try this - seems 'no problem'

This nice lady is part of AIS' commercial division, and was very pleasant and helpful. She gave me a quote on a liability-only commercial policy, with all cards on the table: "it's a school bus which I'm driving home and will start by tearing out most of the seats." The cost seemed quite reasonable... especially after a couple of days of "Nope", "Sorry", "Can't" and "Bad news, sir."

I have no idea how her company's rates compare with other options out there... but if you have no other options the price she quotes may suddenly seem extremely reasonable.
Marie Ruiz
mruiz@aisinsurance.com
voice 866 570-7335 x 78802
fax 800 498-3293
She says she would be happy to see what she could do for anyone interested in contacting her about insuring a Skoolie, and she can write a policy for all states except AK and HI. I plan to call her up when we get a bus.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Yes she is polite but with my bus with a Class A Motorhome Title she told me it must be completely converted and with nice paint and mut send photos of same.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yes she is polite but with my bus with a Class A Motorhome Title she told me it must be completely converted and with nice paint and mut send photos of same.
I am strongly considering not changing the title to rv, rather leaving it a bus, getting bus for non commercial use insurance, and getting my air endorsement on my license. May be easier to get the endorsement on my license than to deal with the insurance problems
The menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The menagerie View Post
I am strongly considering not changing the title to rv, rather leaving it a bus, getting bus for non commercial use insurance, and getting my air endorsement on my license. May be easier to get the endorsement on my license than to deal with the insurance problems
And to get the title, all I have to do is trot in to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Done.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
And to get the title, all I have to do is trot in to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Done.
Is that what you are doing as well?
The menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The menagerie View Post
Is that what you are doing as well?
That is my plan: the nice people at the DMV say I'm welcome to register it as a bus in my name - it's the insurance company that I need to worry about. And Ms Ruiz (referenced above) had no trouble offering me a policy for $442 a year for liability as a commercial policy.

I cannot use my bus for commercial purposes, of course, without a CDL, but this plan seems to meet the need for registration and insurance as I gut it and use it as a moving van. Once I get it to Idaho, get housing, and unload my stuff I'll be selling it - we're not of the station in life that would include having an RV. Even as frugal an RV as this.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
That is my plan: the nice people at the DMV say I'm welcome to register it as a bus in my name - it's the insurance company that I need to worry about. And Ms Ruiz (referenced above) had no trouble offering me a policy for $442 a year for liability as a commercial policy.

I cannot use my bus for commercial purposes, of course, without a CDL, but this plan seems to meet the need for registration and insurance as I gut it and use it as a moving van. Once I get it to Idaho, get housing, and unload my stuff I'll be selling it - we're not of the station in life that would include having an RV. Even as frugal an RV as this.

heres the thing I found... when I got my second bus, I didnt remove any of the school decals, lights, stop signs or anything.. I just drove it as a school bus.. no one bothered me.. my guess is from 100 feet it may as well be a school bus so no one cares.. I wouldnt paint it or anything.. if you are making one trip any drivetrain will work... find the cheapest bus you can .. yank the seats, insure it as a Bus for personal use, keep it title as a bus, fill it up, drive it nicely and carefully, unpack it and sell it... simple easy done.. for one trip I wouldnt worry about titles, or finding the best bus.. it just have to drive 3000 miles Once and its done..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
...if you are making one trip any drivetrain will work... find the cheapest bus you can .. yank the seats, insure it as a Bus for personal use, keep it title as a bus, fill it up, drive it nicely and carefully, unpack it and sell it... simple easy done.. for one trip I wouldnt worry about titles, or finding the best bus.. it just have to drive 3000 miles...
Mebbeso... regarding the drivetrain, though: since I'll be going through the Rockies and perhaps the Sierra Nevada range, it would seem that I prolly ought to avoid the AT545. But I get your point: underpowered? I can live with it for one trip. Expensive to maintain? Won't be maintaining it long. And so on. Huh.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

My bus was super easy to insure. After i got it registered as an rv i emailed photos of it to my insurance company. I also gave them a vin number. I have american family ins and for full coverage i pay only 29 dollars a month.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: 3600
Engine: dt408
so what did u end up doing for insurance?
BrandinoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:59 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandinoBeatz View Post
so what did u end up doing for insurance?
I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer...that post is 6 1/2 years old and they haven't been around in years. But in case it helps, I've had no issues using Progressive Commercial on unconverted buses (a Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use policy)...and Farm Bureau Financial has also been good to work with.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote