Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444E Navistar
Rated Cap: 48/72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
So does that mean if you convert it yourself you have to leave the title as a bus?

I'm sure there are ways around it, honestly we haven't looked into the process to change our title because we were just happy to have it on the road. I guess getting it weighed is the main priority when trying to reclassify, because it's something like 26,000lbs or more required a CDL regardless of personal use or not with a bus. (So said the DMV lady with her giant rule book she tried throwing at me! Lol). I was also told that with an RV status a lot of cities have a 48hr or 72hr limit for street parking. With a BUS status we can follow parking signs as a car would unless specified otherwise. As all my Info, it's gathered from Internet searches and word of mouth so I can't say for 100% that's the case everywhere.
BeverlyTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
I'm curious, since I'm looking at getting insurance for a similar situation, who are you insured through, and how much are you paying?
SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Progressive commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
I'm curious, since I'm looking at getting insurance for a similar situation, who are you insured through, and how much are you paying?
We went with progressive because gieco(which I use for my car) wouldn't insure the bus. It is very reasonable and actually less expensive than my car insurance(however that has collision, the bus just had liability) just over a $100 bucks a month, and they offered an even cheaper rate if you paid the premium in full in advance.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyTheBus View Post
I was also told that with an RV status a lot of cities have a 48hr or 72hr limit for street parking. With a BUS status we can follow parking signs as a car would unless specified otherwise.
Well that's an angle I hadn't considered before! Thus far I had only come up with seat belts as a reason why a bus title is better than an RV title: it seems many states require passengers wear seat belts in an RV. But buses, many lacking seat belts, seemingly get a free pass. I intend to install and use seat belts but it'd be nice to retain a little weasel room in case somebody wants to stand up and move without fear of being caught un-seat-belted at just that moment.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Well that's an angle I hadn't considered before! Thus far I had only come up with seat belts as a reason why a bus title is better than an RV title: it seems many states require passengers wear seat belts in an RV. But buses, many lacking seat belts, seemingly get a free pass. I intend to install and use seat belts but it'd be nice to retain a little weasel room in case somebody wants to stand up and move without fear of being caught un-seat-belted at just that moment.
Didn't know that about the seat belts! We left three seats in with seat belts just incase our friends with kids wanted to come along at some point. Makes sense that they aren't required, we never had to wear them while riding to and from school! 🚌👍🏼
Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

Sorry to post on an old thread.
I too live in Ny. Eastern Long Island to be more specific. Do you think I would run into problems registering a bus in my area. I haven't bought a bus yet but am currently searching but the registration and insurance are huge hurdles to overcome. Any advice is appreciated.
rcampanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
So obviously I'm quite a ways away from you, and in a very different area, but the laws should remain the same. My only interaction with a DMV was with the Hauppage DMV when I was registering a police interceptor down there. I'd say pick how you want your bus titled, and go in and see what happens.
SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#busdmv, #nydmvbus, #nystatebus, #registerbus