Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Year: 1998
Engine: V8
Post NH Title + Registeration as RV HELP!

Hey, so I'm a total noobie and have more questions I was wondering if anyone from NH might be able to help me with!

I just bought my 1998 skoolie to convert and will be trying to change the registration and everything over to an RV/MH as soon as possible so there are no complications with me driving it places non-CDL.
I have the title (signed the back with the seller, but haven't sent it out to have it updated to my name yet.) AND a bill of sale.

From everything I read online, the Webster town Clerk's office is willing to register a vehicle with just the bill of sale and a Vin verification. I'll be going to get the Verification from somewhere this weekend, just so I have it in the future since the Title will take 40-50 days to come back to me updated.

My questions are:
-Does anyone know what the requirements are for NH RV conversions? Like their 4 out of 5 list, I can't seem to find it anywhere on their websites....

-Should I just take the Vin Verification and The Bill of Sale to the town clerk and say, "This is a WIP converted motor home, I want it registered as such?"

-Do I need to have the title updated and changed (via the VT route) BEFORE I can do this?

But I'm not sure if where the original title may be required for this process before I send it out to be destroyed and a new one issued to me proper. However, with the Vin verification I don't technically "need" the title anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to put in some more calls to the DMV for sure about parts of this but most of the people I spoke with so far haven't been very helpful.

Thedinosaurmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Fifteen minutes of searching NH dmv's website and I didn't find any reference to RV or Recreational Vehicle. I did find discussion of "off road recreational vehicles " referring to ATV type vehicles.

I did find mention on DMV.org saying that in NH RV'are treated just like cars.

If it were me...... I would head down to the licensing office with your title and insist that it be registered properly as an RV. If they refuse then leave without changing anything.

Then go the VT route and get an RV registration and take that to NH.

Just a thought....

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC 3500 Cutaway
Engine: 4.8 V8
Rated Cap: 14 passengers
I just registered my bus in Alstead NH and it was easy but I bet it varies from town to town. I just gave them the title signed over to me from the seller and the bill of sale. I didn’t go thru any VIN verification. They asked me the GVWR, mileage, number of axles, number of cylinders, and maybe some other questions I don’t remember. It is registered as a: make GMC, model MOHO, body style MTRHM. I just received my new title from the state. Good luck! I had way more trouble insuring it.
Dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC 3500 Cutaway
Engine: 4.8 V8
Rated Cap: 14 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dclewis View Post
I just registered my bus in Alstead NH and it was easy but I bet it varies from town to town. I just gave them the title signed over to me from the seller and the bill of sale. I didn’t go thru any VIN verification. They asked me the GVWR, mileage, number of axles, number of cylinders, and maybe some other questions I don’t remember. It is registered as a: make GMC, model MOHO, body style MTRHM. I just received my new title from the state. Good luck! I had way more trouble insuring it.
Hold onto your title, the clerk will take it when you register the bus.
Dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, new hampsire, registration