Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #1

NJ why is it so difficult?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been researching a ton and are really trying to do our due diligence before even buying a bus. We've been reading and searching through this forum for weeks and calling insurance companies (Progressive, State Farm, All State, Good Sam, National General, AIS, etc) and local agents to ask about insurance in NJ.

The best answer we got was from National General (which does not insure conversions in NJ). They said to call Insureon to have them insure it as a bus in order to drive it home and do the conversion. OR if we get a small bus that is titled as a van and the VIN number is a van then we can probably get a regular policy from one of the big names without explaining it is a conversion.

They also said another option is to get the title changed to an RV and "house the vehicle in another state like PA" (even though we are going to be driving it around the country and living in it full time) and then get a letter from the homeowner/ family member stating that it is being housed in PA (even though it is registered in NJ) and then National General could insure us as an RV. That seems a bit sketchy to us, but maybe it is the only way other than moving to another state and getting an address, license, etc.

Does anyone have any updated info on insuring conversions in NJ? Has anyone had any luck? We seem to be at a dead end and we don't want to give up on this big dream of ours to purchase a bus, convert it, and travel the country just because of this ridiculous NJ insurance problem. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

thesweenraldobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Jersey is INSANE with insurance. It's one of the most expensive states in the country for insurance, and I will never forget how my premium leapt by over 30% in one year when absolutely nothing had changed. I was one year older and more experienced, got no tickets in the past year, got into no accidents in the past year, had the same car, had the same limits. I complained and they said "sorry, that's just what the computer says".

If you had to move to a different state to pursue this dream, would you?
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweenraldobus View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been researching a ton and are really trying to do our due diligence before even buying a bus. We've been reading and searching through this forum for weeks and calling insurance companies (Progressive, State Farm, All State, Good Sam, National General, AIS, etc) and local agents to ask about insurance in NJ.

The best answer we got was from National General (which does not insure conversions in NJ). They said to call Insureon to have them insure it as a bus in order to drive it home and do the conversion. OR if we get a small bus that is titled as a van and the VIN number is a van then we can probably get a regular policy from one of the big names without explaining it is a conversion.

They also said another option is to get the title changed to an RV and "house the vehicle in another state like PA" (even though we are going to be driving it around the country and living in it full time) and then get a letter from the homeowner/ family member stating that it is being housed in PA (even though it is registered in NJ) and then National General could insure us as an RV. That seems a bit sketchy to us, but maybe it is the only way other than moving to another state and getting an address, license, etc.

Does anyone have any updated info on insuring conversions in NJ? Has anyone had any luck? We seem to be at a dead end and we don't want to give up on this big dream of ours to purchase a bus, convert it, and travel the country just because of this ridiculous NJ insurance problem. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
Hi, we also live in THE GARDEN STATE and hoping to get our bus ready for the summer and so far every company that I had called had denied us coverage. How do you solve the issue?
I will truly appreciate any input.
Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Just checking in - did any of you find insurance?

I'm also looking!
cathxrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Nope, we gave up
thesweenraldobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

NJ Policy Quotes

For anyone still searching for an answer:

We are currently located in NJ, where we built our skoolie.

We have a 2003 Freightliner FS-65 that is converted completely already and registered as an RV in Vermont.

These numbers are liability coverage only!

I called AllState in NJ and they quoted the following prices:
- $478 Down
- $372 per Month
- $2232 per 6 Months

They offered to add my car to the policy for:
- $249 Down
- $242 per Month
[This option didn't seem right as I currently pay $117 with Geico]

Adding the car would have lowered the cost of the Bus insurance to:
- $240 Down
- $156.16 per Month
- $937 per 6 Months

~

I called StateFarm in NJ and they quoted the following prices:
- $381 Down
- $302 per Month
- $1815 per 6 Months

They did not have an option available for multiple policy discounts with the bus policy.

~

I currently reside in NJ, but came from FL so I had AllState quote me for the EXACT same coverage in FL with my family's address. This is what I got back:
- $77 Down
- $60 per Month
- $720 per YEAR !

Needless to say, I insured the bus with my home address in FL.
The moral of the story is.. if you want to insure your bus in NJ, you can, but it will cost you exponentially more than usual.

If the dream is worth the sacrifice to you, move away from this god forsaken state and change your address.

- Nowhere To Be Bus
NowhereToBe.Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
The situation is a bit better for van cut-away short busses at least. Mine is insured as a Chevy van (liability only), and between that and my car, I think I pay $1080 per year.

Good to know about full-sized busses though. Disappointing, and maybe that'd be the time to change permanent residence to South Dakota (if we were going full time Skoolie).

Chris
Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Glad you had an easy out. Fortunately I have brothers and a sister all in different states that I can choose from for ease.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Glad you had an easy out. Fortunately I have brothers and a sister all in different states that I can choose from for ease.
That works nicely!