Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Just a little tip that I have found after looking at license requirements in several states.

Buried deep in the CDL requirements is a listing of EXEMPTIONS. Look for the EXEMPTIONS page to see if you qualify as an EXEMPTION. It will NOT be in the first few paragraphs either.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
well, we went yesterday to the tag office and got a tag. We left the title as bus so to get a tag we needed a business insurance policy at ~$500/year for liability.

I learned several things in talking to various NC tag offices yesterday morning:
1. transferring out of state titles to NC does not incur a late fee (!)
2. our out of state transfer (since we got a tag at the same time) came with a 1 year inspection waiver (I wasn't sure this would happen since I suspected our bus would require a different type of vehicle inspection)...just a title transfer does not require liability insurance but will trigger an inspection when you go back for the tag.
3. a GA title does not have a location for a notary seal so it did not need to be notarized...however, the title application for NC does need a seal and the DMV will do the notary for $5 or $6 for 2 signatures.
4.our new insurance binder (this claim lacks thorough investigation at this point) will insure our bus as an RV (with the accompanying drop in premium of half) regardless of the titled type if their criteria for RV is met...

next step is getting the non-CDL class B -P license for two and then we'll see more about this insurance deal.

We got the insurance through an independent agent for a regional insurance group...it was a bit slower (less computer automated at the office) but saved us about $700/yr over Farm Bureau prices so I consider it time well spent! Our policy set-up took about an hour.

The link for the documents you'd need to just retitle in NC are here: www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/transfer/
if you want to retitle and get a tag at the same time, go here:
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #23

Seroflorus, This is all super helpful information, as I have just bought a bus in Raleigh, NC. I'm trying to sort all this out right now. What is the insurance company you're using? Thanks.
ethompson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethompson66 View Post
Seroflorus, This is all super helpful information, as I have just bought a bus in Raleigh, NC. I'm trying to sort all this out right now. What is the insurance company you're using? Thanks.
I am in swansboro,n.c. And nationwide had no problem insuring mine! We have been with them for over 10 yrs but they didn't even question it ? Talked to the local office told them what we were doing and we were insured at TAX value. I think we pay 11-12 a month. Can't register as an RV until I have met the requirement's but why if I am registered for a lot less? The only change I have dealt with in the last 4-yrs is originally I only did normal vehicle inspection but the last two I have had to full DOT but I have (advanced vehicle maitenance out of Wilmington) a truck maitenance company that works on all of the company's truck's that I work for and we have met. They know me so for inspection they won't fail me (yet) just make comment's on the report and say owner will fix? But that Meen's next year inspection time! They need to see that I have made an effort to address the issue's! Some are minor that any truck on the road will have? Not enough to fail but they will document it in a heartbeat! Just to show the DOT they know what they are looking at and that they are doing there job as DOT inspector's
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I am in swansboro,n.c. And nationwide had no problem insuring mine! We have been with them for over 10 yrs but they didn't even question it ? Talked to the local office told them what we were doing and we were insured at TAX value. I think we pay 11-12 a month. Can't register as an RV until I have met the requirement's but why if I am registered for a lot less? The only change I have dealt with in the last 4-yrs is originally I only did normal vehicle inspection but the last two I have had to full DOT but I have (advanced vehicle maitenance out of Wilmington) a truck maitenance company that works on all of the company's truck's that I work for and we have met. They know me so for inspection they won't fail me (yet) just make comment's on the report and say owner will fix? But that Meen's next year inspection time! They need to see that I have made an effort to address the issue's! Some are minor that any truck on the road will have? Not enough to fail but they will document it in a heartbeat! Just to show the DOT they know what they are looking at and that they are doing there job as DOT inspector's
Jolly Roger, Thanks for the great information. Actually, I already use Nationwide, but they told me it would be over 60 bucks a month, because it had to be commercial insurance instead of regular auto insurance. Can you tell me a little more about your policy so I can go back to them with more specific requests?

What is the difference between a regular inspection and the "full DOT inspection" that you are talking about?

Also, my online research indicates you can reduce the weight limit of your vehicle on your title by filling out form MVR-618. Has anyone had experience doing this? Then-- is the 26,001 weight requirement for Class B driver's license based on the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) printed on the plate above the driver's seat or is it based on the weight limit on the title?

Thanks in advance for your help.
ethompson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
Our policy is with Atlantic Casualty Insurance Co. 30/60/25 (state minimum is enough until we're ready to roll). The certificate lists the 'producer' as:
Strickland Insurance Brokers Inc
400 Commerce Court
Goldsboro, NC 27534

Our bus is over the 26,001 GVWR limit so our current policy is a business policy. When we finish the conversion, I will have it retitled and the insurance rate will drop...then go right back up b/c there's no way I'm traveling with minimum insurance...not with these crazy drivers (and you know big vehicles need more stopping distance...meaning a bigger gap for crazy drivers to jump into and there goes my stopping distance). Not so much concerned about who'll win the on-road wrestling match as concerned about crazy driver blaming me.

I'm glad to hear that chain insurance companies are taking on conversions again...I understood they were thin on the ground for a while. Also, it sounds like I need to call Nationwide; $132/yr doesn't sound like business rates and since I'm not a business...'course it would go right back up for the reason (among others) mentioned above.

On the inspection thing...my bus would technically be class A and I read on an RV forum here http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=40426.0 and/or here http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/in...ic=934.15;wap2 that RV inspections 'needed to happen' in a garage that the bus could drive into...I also heard there's one in Raleigh. Howard RV is in Wilmington (an excuse for a quick run to the beach?) and also one in Hendersonville (not Howard) which would be a good reason to hit the mountains too.

Here's a link to the Howard RV pdf outlining what is included in the NC annual RV vehicle safety inspection: http://www.hrvc.com/console/files/NC...2011.15.12.pdf I haven't done a bus inspection yet so I don't know how they differ but I assume the RV one is simpler.

If your bus is a behemoth of the road like ours and you decide to leave it titled as a bus, you may need a CDL (apparently depends on weight and title)...if so, DON'T remove anything until you've passed the driving test...you need a complete bus to take the bus driving test and no seats is a deal breaker. Also, the CDL class B test costs $30 but the non-CDL class B (for the newly retitled house car) is free.

Hi Moderator(s)...two of the three links here did not function properly when using the hotlink button in post editor. the format printed "initial open bracket URL="http//:whateverthelinkis"][/URL final close bracket" and displayed nothing...faulty something until I took out the = and the set of coded quotation marks.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Newby caught in Confusion!!

I have been a school bus enthusiast my entire life. I live in NC and have found the perfect bus to do a conversion on. It is currently registered as a bus. My problem is finding a company to buy insurance from. If I go the commercial route I need to list a CDL qualified operator. For me to get a CDL I need a bus for the driving test.... To get insurance as an RV it needs to be completed... Does anyone in North Carolina have any suggestions?? HELP
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
My bus is registered and insured in north Caroline as a school bus for 14$ a month and I do not plan on re-registering it as an RV because of the extra money once re titled.
Depending on the area/county you live in and the bus you have/want to buy is the problematic factor?
I bought mine from my local (28584) district and had no problem with any of it ? My insurance is through nationwide. But I have been with them for along time.
Pm me if you would like more.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #29

Hi all. New to the site and love what I have seen so far. We are military and currently stationed in NC. We are in the research phase of jumping into the converted bus life. I read on another thread about a company that sells busses (in FL) and will retitle them as an RV (for a fee) when you purchase a bus from them. Does anyone know if this RV title would be accepted as such in NC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shooter1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:34 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You DON"T have to go and overpay for a bus at that dealer to get it titled as an RV. Its a SIMPLE affadavit that takes ten seconds to fill out. Doesn't cost anything. If they are charging a fee for this designation change on TOP of their huge dealer prices then that's just really sad. Charging the customer for something that's free.
BGA is the company. They technically break the law by falsely stating that the vehicle has the minimum amount of RV specific modifications. Its just a way of trying to make you feel like paying their exorbitant prices is worth it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You DON"T have to go and overpay for a bus at that dealer to get it titled as an RV. Its a SIMPLE affadavit that takes ten seconds to fill out. Doesn't cost anything. If they are charging a fee for this designation change on TOP of their huge dealer prices then that's just really sad. Charging the customer for something that's free.
BGA is the company. They technically break the law by falsely stating that the vehicle has the minimum amount of RV specific modifications. Its just a way of trying to make you feel like paying their exorbitant prices is worth it.

I learned the hard way about the RV title conversion.. BGA is an excellent group of people and helpful.. but you pay for it.. maybe ion some states its harder I dont know.. but I learned in Ohio they dont even inspect a bus to retitle as RV.. like EC says you sign a piece of paper and done.. all they inspect is to make sure the VIN on the title is the VIN on the bus...

as for insurance you dont need a CDL to get commercial insurance.. at least not in Ohio and with progressive Commercial.. seems in some states people on progressive get cancelled .. but many here have progressive "Commercial vehicle for personal use" policies.. you DONT GO oNLINE!! to get it.. you call on the phone to the COMMERCIAL progressive.. thye are 2 separate entities and 2 separate phone numbers!

I pay somewhere around $850 / Year Total for FULL COVERAGE on TWO BUSSES!! liability only is less..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

ECCB,
Thanks for the reply. It seemed their prices were certainly high, but I had a terrible experience with a motorcycle in NC years ago. I found out the hard way that NC is one of the toughest states to get older or non-standard vehicles titled. I just didn't want to face that headache again. I am actually a resident of Florida, so it may be worth looking into what their procedure is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shooter1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #33

NC School Bus Conversions

Greetings all:

I am a school bus fleet manager at a Charter school in NC. I sell a LOT of older buses to people wanting to do Skoolie conversions and they get bad information from a lot of sources. This thread is old, but it has some good information and it also has some incorrect information as well.

In NC, if you purchase an old school bus that is classified as a passenger bus that either exceeds 26000lbs GVW OR carries more than 16 passengers, you will have to get at least a Class B CDL with a passenger endorsement. Unless you reclassify the vehicle as a "House Car" with the State of NC.

Here is the link to the form that is to be completed to accomplish that:

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR51.pdf

You can not merely take the seats out of the bus. We purchased a 20 passenger Class A bus (Van type) and figured we could remove 3 seats and slide by without CDL. State says no. They said the vehicle was classified as a 20 passenger when it was manufactured and it would be considered as such even with the seats out. Even though it is well under 26000 GVW and has hydraulic brakes. The passenger capacity throws it into the CDL class.

Wherever you live, it would be prudent to check the forums for people in your state that have done conversions and have them give you names and contact numbers. I would NOT take anyones word (including my own) without making the phone calls or sending the emails to verify everything. What you may find is that 2 different inspectors in different places in the same state may give you 2 different variations on how they intrepret the process.

In the end, in NC it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you can get the title changed to a house car . I have also listened to arguements from buyers that their buddy did this and that and whatever and its all good. What that sounds like to me is they just haven't gotten caught by the right guy yet. Theres a big difference between getting pulled over by a local Barney Fife and getting pulled by a NCDOT Highway Patrolman. And as I'm sure a lot of you know, these things are built like tanks and if you have a chargable accident, a lawyer would have a field day if you arent't properly licensed.
specauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #34
Almost There

In raleigh as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
My bus is registered and insured in north Caroline as a school bus for 14$ a month and I do not plan on re-registering it as an RV because of the extra money once re titled.
Depending on the area/county you live in and the bus you have/want to buy is the problematic factor?
I bought mine from my local (28584) district and had no problem with any of it ? My insurance is through nationwide. But I have been with them for along time.
Pm me if you would like more.
Hey jolly I was thinking of leaving the bus as a bus as well it sounds easier geico told me they would insure me but I could only get liability any recommendations I’m about to head down to new bern ave as we speak to try and get tags
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #35

Y'all are just fine leaving your rigs titled as buses...as long as you have a Class B CDL with a passenger endorsement. The title classification was never an issue as far as getting the vehicle insured, but if you have an accident in that vehicle with it classified as a bus and you don't have a CDL , you are driving without a license.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #36

Engine: 5.9 L Cummings deisel
we went threw the process of converting and having the inspection to convert the title to house car. Inspector who came out was really nice and it went well. Then dmv told me 2-3 weeks for new title. 4 weeks into waiting I called to check on it. The woman actually laughed as she told me she didn't know why any one would tell me that time frame; That's how long a regular title takes. So we're sitting at 6 weeks and its still working it's way thru Raleigh agency depts.
lgtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtwood View Post
we went threw the process of converting and having the inspection to convert the title to house car. Inspector who came out was really nice and it went well. Then dmv told me 2-3 weeks for new title. 4 weeks into waiting I called to check on it. The woman actually laughed as she told me she didn't know why any one would tell me that time frame; That's how long a regular title takes. So we're sitting at 6 weeks and its still working it's way thru Raleigh agency depts.

Did you just remove the bus seats and do the necessary additions on the MVR-51 list and then call an inspector? I appreciate actual experience, people that are buying our buses are arguing with me based on things they see on forums about what they do and don't need to do. I fear there are people out there that are converting buses, titling and insuring them without changing the vehicle type on the registration/title. I'm sure that is fine as long as you have a CDL. I've sold 5 buses that people are wanting to convert, all NC residents, in the past few months and have several more coming up in the near future and I want to make sure I tell them accurate info, not speculation. My recommendation is to do what you did and go through the proper procedure and get it re-titled in lieu of getting a CDL. That way if you sell it increases the number of potential buyers.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #38
Almost There

E450

I have a short bus that has all seats taken out with a weight of 14000 lbs so I don’t even need a cdl pretty cool
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #39

yes. Printed that form and used it as a checklist as we planned and built.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by specauto View Post
Did you just remove the bus seats and do the necessary additions on the MVR-51 list and then call an inspector? I appreciate actual experience, people that are buying our buses are arguing with me based on things they see on forums about what they do and don't need to do. I fear there are people out there that are converting buses, titling and insuring them without changing the vehicle type on the registration/title. I'm sure that is fine as long as you have a CDL. I've sold 5 buses that people are wanting to convert, all NC residents, in the past few months and have several more coming up in the near future and I want to make sure I tell them accurate info, not speculation. My recommendation is to do what you did and go through the proper procedure and get it re-titled in lieu of getting a CDL. That way if you sell it increases the number of potential buyers.
Yes. Printed out the form and used it as a checklist through planning and build.