Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Lightbulb NY Conversion DMV

After weeks of research, going over tons of articles, videos, blogs, and etc... I finally just called Albany and waited the 30-45mins it took to get off of hold. This is what I found needed to change the title and registration.
If you currently do not own the bus and it is not currently registered, you must first apply for the Title only. Once you have completed the work on the bus, take pictures for DMV records ( they want documentation of all changes), NY RV Insurance, NY Licenses, 26,000 #'s or up to 40Ft only needs a Class D license, you will also need form MV-82 (Register and Title App). Regarding your Inspection according to the DMV Technical Assistance line RV inspection is no different from your daily use vehicle. Just make sure all lights, brakes, wiper blades, and etc... are working.

To be considered as a RV converted from a bus the following need to have taken place:

4 out of the 6:
*Perm inside cooking (propane or electrical)
*Refrigeration
*Toilet with exterior exhaust vent and service
*AC & Heating with separate power source the the vehicles power
*Potable water source to include (sink, faucet, and tanks with exterior service points)
*External power source (generator, solar, etc..)

This should get most people like us get a good start in NY. Hope your journey is eventful.

TaraRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Thanks for sitting on hold to get this info! Hopefully they won't change any of those requirements in the next fiscal year!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Wish I'd seen this earlier I could have saved you some time. I'm between Rochester and Buffalo and when I changed the title and got my bus registered as a commercial vehicle so I could move it around the local DMV gave me a printout of the requirements to be an RV.
Are you near me?
steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRenee View Post
After weeks of research, going over tons of articles, videos, blogs, and etc... I finally just called Albany and waited the 30-45mins it took to get off of hold. This is what I found needed to change the title and registration.
If you currently do not own the bus and it is not currently registered, you must first apply for the Title only. Once you have completed the work on the bus, take pictures for DMV records ( they want documentation of all changes), NY RV Insurance, NY Licenses, 26,000 #'s or up to 40Ft only needs a Class D license, you will also need form MV-82 (Register and Title App). Regarding your Inspection according to the DMV Technical Assistance line RV inspection is no different from your daily use vehicle. Just make sure all lights, brakes, wiper blades, and etc... are working.

To be considered as a RV converted from a bus the following need to have taken place:

4 out of the 6:
*Perm inside cooking (propane or electrical)
*Refrigeration
*Toilet with exterior exhaust vent and service
*AC & Heating with separate power source the the vehicles power
*Potable water source to include (sink, faucet, and tanks with exterior service points)
*External power source (generator, solar, etc..)

This should get most people like us get a good start in NY. Hope your journey is eventful.

the federal rules that govern the state rules say that the four items you choose must be present. being present is much different than present and functioning. the nice folks at the dmy like to tell people their opinion about state law instead of of what state law actually reads. it would behoove you to closely read the state law as written and follow that instead of a man or woman 's opinion . rules of statutory construction; the law is precise; when things are mentioned as a group in state law; ALL OTHER THINGS ARE OMITTED. example: persons, individuals, corporations, trust,llc, llp, are all a group of things mentioned. no where is a living man mentioned in that group , therefore a living man is excluded. and you thought and were taught a person is a living man......by design.

if your not a man our doing it all wrong-kp
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincaneasybakeoven View Post
the federal rules that govern the state rules say that the four items you choose must be present. being present is much different than present and functioning.
That's why when I talked to NJMVC two years ago, I had them email me a copy of their guidance so that I could be legal, which includes a functional water source.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMVC
 Remove emergency lights including the side mounted stop sign
 Repaint the exterior of the vehicle (Cannot remain any shade of yellow)
 Install a permanent bed or sleep sofa
Install a permanent sink or bar sink (Must be in working order)
 Install a permanent stove or microwave
(Emphasis, mine)

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
That's why when I talked to NJMVC two years ago, I had them email me a copy of their guidance so that I could be legal, which includes a functional water source.-

(Emphasis, mine)
Install a permanent sink or bar sink (Must be in working order) ha that's easy a 5 gallon bucket in the cabinet above the sink with a piped hose end sprayer, a 5 gallon bucket below with a drain all permanently installed. Install a permanent stove or microwave~~~~~ 1 coleman stove with propane conversion 2 propane powered chafing dish warmer 3 small popup stove that folds down against wall or on brackets on to outside for outside cooking like the popups do.~~~you can have a permanent installation with quick disconnects and things that can be unscrewed by hand. replace show bolts with usable wingnuts.

if your not a man our doing it all wrong-kp
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoutdoorrec View Post
Wish I'd seen this earlier I could have saved you some time. I'm between Rochester and Buffalo and when I changed the title and got my bus registered as a commercial vehicle so I could move it around the local DMV gave me a printout of the requirements to be an RV.
Are you near me?
Where did you get your bus insured? I'm in NY and having a hell of a time.
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterW View Post
Where did you get your bus insured? I'm in NY and having a hell of a time.
And what DMV was that?
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoutdoorrec View Post
Are you near me?

I work in Rochester headed to buffalo this weekend
Dmaxx85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
All of this seems to vary a lot by location in NY. I'm in the Binghamton area, and had no trouble insuring the bus through my State Farm agent (the day I bought it, he e-mailed me a temporary insurance card that I could pull up on my phone).

When I finally had clean title in hand (different story), I filled out the forms and went to get it registered as a "home on wheels," which is the NY classification for RVs. They looked at the title and said, "This is a school bus." I said, "Yeah, but the previous owner converted it, and I want it titled as an RV."

Was the conversion complete? No. But they didn't ask questions about that; the thing they fixated on was the fact that if the seats had been removed (and they had), the weight would be different, so I needed a weight slip.

I drove over to a scrap metal yard a couple of miles away, rolled the bus onto their scale, and had them print out a slip for me. Took it back to the DMV, and the lady behind the desk gave me my registration sticker and plates. She said, "I'm glad this worked out for you. I've always wanted to convert a school bus."

Best of luck to the rest of you in the Empire State!
desertfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Oh, I'll also add that sometimes it's better to just not ask too many questions about what you're *supposed* to do. The more you officially know, the more the DMV has to hold you to that knowledge.

When they told me I needed a weight slip, I said, "OK, but I need to drive the bus in order to get it weighed, and you're telling me I can't legally do that yet." The lady went and talked to her supervisor and said, "The *official* answer is that you would need to have the bus towed to the scale." Then there was a long pause and she said, "That's the...official answer."

Some of these people want to bust you, and some want to just get you out the door. By the time I had this all wrapped up, I'd made it to the front counter three or four times, and that was a hassle, but it probably would have been more of a hassle if I'd gotten the complete "official" checklist, and then they'd held me to it. In the end, they were ready to just get me out of there.
desertfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

This is great info! I don't have a bus yet, but live in WNY and have worried about what a mess DMV would make of this. Thanks!
Highwaygirl1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

DesertFather, can you message me the name of your agent? I’m in WNY and need to pick up my bus in a couple weeks. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #14

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6-Cylinder Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 kids, 47 adults, 17434
Where can you get a full-size bus inspected? Most garages won't take it since it won't fit.
Ragliacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #15

I'm in Binghamton getting ready to start my conversion ...
Jmills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ny buss conversion, ny title