Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Ohio registration

Hello, I'm looking at a 40' school bus to convert to an RV. I've tried calling the Ohio DMV for information on what is required to register it but they are clueless. Do I need a CDL? Anything else special required to get it on the road? If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Mlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Mlaz,
Hey. We are in the process of doing the same thing in Ohio. In my county, Summit, I called the DMV and they said, no problem. I haven't taking the bus in yet ( it is in MN) but I would suggest to dig in and call another office. They are usually very helpful but there is always a wing nut at a state office. Good luck.
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I live in columbus.. here is what i did..

drove my bus home with a temp tag from the state I got it in (florida)..after getting progressive commercial vehicle for personal use policy.. (if they ask you tell them yes its still a bus.. dont offer the rep any info like "oh yeah im making a camper".. just be quiet..)..

went to one of the DMV agents that can do title work as well... some are only registrations.. some are both.. .. I drove the bus in having an out of state title..

signed an affidavit saying its going to be an RV and no longer a school bus.
the DMV person came outside and verified the VIN on the tag above the driver seat matched.. so dont tear the crap out of your bus and ruin the VIN tag before you get it registered...

paid a few fees and slapped on the plates and been having fun ever since...
the DMV rep looked at it and said "nice bus".. never made mention that it wasnt yet converted.. and I didnt say a word either...

they did tell me things like it couldnt have school lights, stop signs, and cant be more than 49% yellow.. but when he saw it he realized id already had that stuff removed by the bus dealer before I drove it home so he said "oh you are ahead of me.. nice bus!"...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote