Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Question Oklahoma - Bus Conversion Requirements

Hello all! I have been perusing the forum for a while now. It took me a while to decide for sure that a skoolie was the "RV" for me. Now that I have I was wondering if anyone from Oklahoma has gone through the process.

I was told to fill out a Body change affidavit and then send that and the title in. They would then decide if anything further would need to be done. Such as an inspection, pictures, etc. This is all I got from contacting the Oklahoma Tax Commission Motor Vehicles Division on the requirements.

The term, "recreational vehicle", shall include only a vehicle which is permanently constructed and equipped with living quarters, having its own sleeping and kitchen facilities, toilet facilities, including permanently affixed water tanks, holding tanks and toilet, which is propelled by a motor installed thereon and not towed by another motor vehicle but shall not include any vehicle of the so called "camper" type from which such living facilities are removable.

Not much to go on as far as specifics. She really couldn't give me a definite yes or no on a compost toilet.

It is just me and two dogs. I don't require much as I am trying to live a more simple lifestyle. Now my questions are:
* living quarters - can a simple chair be considered "living quarters" if not what are they are referring too?
* sleeping area - if I just put a mattress on the floor would that suffice?
* water & holding tanks & toilet - I was hoping to use a compost toilet so only adding a water and gray water tank thus eliminating the black tank. Would that be permanent enough?
* kitchen facilities - refrigerator, sink is a definite but would an induction plate and a microwave work in place of a stove or would I need a stove. I am assuming the plate would not be permanent enough?

Any tips on what you installed or didn't install in order to get your title changed to RV would be a great help. I am not real mechanically incline so the less I have to do the better off the skoolie would be until I can get the money to have it done that is. I really just want to keep it as simple as I can.

I do plan to profession have solar installed but above that I would prefer to do most of the other work myself or at least as cheap as possible.

One final question in regards to drivers license for Oklahoma. Did you need to get a CDL or an endorsement for air brakes (if the bus had them). I have read that RV's do NOT require any but just want to make sure that skoolie that are considered RV's do not as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

starting out as well

I am in Oklahoma and we'll and just starting out. So I am definitely interested in what you find out as well!
SmithCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Same here! Good to know.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: c70
Engine: 8.2l dd
so as far as the body change when i talk to them a few years ago. they said have to have bath room kitchen bedroom living room holding tanks and a way to charge batteries other than the motor and have to have at least 4 of the five you are porbly going to have to do more than a hot plate i am fixing on doing my paper work for the body change on myine. also as long as it is still titled as a school bus you will be requraide to have a class b cdl with air braks school bus and pasanger endorments.
i got a job at a school system that would pay to train me to get my licens and if your just driving in ok and get the tidal changed to rv you will be ok to drive in oklahoma with a regurar class d but i heird that other stat will requaire a cdl and will get you as you dirve in to there state and make you have to pay some one to drive or will tow it if you dont have the cdl.
michellep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Heck yeah! now we be representin'
I knew I wasn't the only okie here

Old 07-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:40 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

http://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/701-9.pdf this is the paper that is need to change the title yeah there is a few of us in oklahoma
Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep View Post
http://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/701-9.pdf this is the paper that is need to change the title yeah there is a few of us in oklahoma
awesome, it's going in the save pile
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
Someone who works for the fine state of Oklahoma knows exactly what their minimum thresholds are. In NC they are called "license and theft" division...they are the law enforcement section of our honorable DMV, not to be confused with the law enforcement of our honorable county sheriff or our honorable state trooper.

Anyway, I called them and got my marching orders from the horse's mouth. I also took some print outs (including lovable loo) of exactly what I wanted to use to meet their 4 of 6. My suggestion is contact whichever office would do an inspection if one were required and see what they say.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

Just purchased a school bus in OK and this is what I was told

According to DPS, my current license is fine for me to drive the bus because it is titled as a van and it weighs less than 26,000 lbs. If I wish to transport children other than those "in my own household" then I would be required to obtain a passenger endorsement and/or a Class B license. According to the OK Tax Commission, the bus is properly titled and registered.

According to Lt. Wilson at the Oklahoma Highway Patrol 918/627-0440:

The bus cannot be used for hire or to transport children under the age of 18 outside of my own household without the passenger endorsement on my license unless the parent/guardian of the child is also a passenger.

3 point harness seat belts are only required for persons driving or traveling in the front of the bus and for children requiring booster seats

The name of the school district must be removed/blacked out--No other changes to the color or even "school bus" required

The stop sign must be covered/painted over or removed from the sign-arm

All other equipment required for any moving vehicle (e.g., break lights, turn signals, headlights, horn, windshield wipers) must be in working condition
The vehicle must be properly registered and insured and must have personal (not commercial) tags

I insured mine with Progressive insurance. I think I saw somewhere that GMAC also will cover them.
brickwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

just got myne change to a rv i had to feel out the body change http://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/701-9.pdf
put down that it had perment mounted and plumbed fresh and wast tanks. had a kitichen a bed room a bath room and a living space a way to charge other than the auto system solar power and that all changes were perment
then i sent it to the tax commision down at the captial in okc to tital consotent . they sent me back my old tital and a paper on top telling the tag agens what to do then took down to a tag offace and they changed it and are send me a new rv title also i sent all of my resets too
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
How did it registered as a van?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
How did it registered as a van?
So it just depends what part of the state your in for what the tell you to fill out. Crazy
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

Year: 1990
insurance and tag / Oklahoma

I am having trouble getting mine insured, therefore I can't get it tagged unless I black tag it. I bought a 90 model bus that was converted and painted for a church. Im going to be using it for a place where members of oiur car club can relax during long car shows. Not transporting anyone. Im going to be removing all seats and installing nicer benches along the side and fixing it up that way. My insurance (progressive) says I have to insure it under a commercial vehicle??? How do I get away from that??? Any thoughts or help. I just bought it, probably wont be moved until first part of next year. Hopefully someone here in Oklahoma can help!! Thanks
jamesac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesac91 View Post
I am having trouble getting mine insured, therefore I can't get it tagged unless I black tag it. I bought a 90 model bus that was converted and painted for a church. Im going to be using it for a place where members of oiur car club can relax during long car shows. Not transporting anyone. Im going to be removing all seats and installing nicer benches along the side and fixing it up that way. My insurance (progressive) says I have to insure it under a commercial vehicle??? How do I get away from that??? Any thoughts or help. I just bought it, probably wont be moved until first part of next year. Hopefully someone here in Oklahoma can help!! Thanks
I've got Progressive's Commercial for Personal Use

post#179

Post#182 & #183
Old 11-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have both of my busses insured using progressive's Commercial vehicle for personal use poilicy... just because you insure it for commercial policy doesnt mean you have to register it that way...

one of my busses is registered as an RV, the other is registered as a club wagon / ride-share bus (under CDL non commercial use)..

im in OHIO but most states have the ability to register a bus under 26k GVWR and under 15 capacity in a non CDL role..

I have full coverage including comprehensive / collision on both busses for declared value and they are cool with it..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #17

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
DO you have your bus registered in Oklahoma? We just bought ours and I am trying to determine how to insure it so that I can drive it until it is converted. Any information you can provide would be a great help.
RedDirtSkoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #18

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
Any information on this would be greatly helpful. We just bought our bus and are totally lost on the insurance and registration currently.
RedDirtSkoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Post Red dirt

Look into “ commercial vehicle for private use”. Leave only seating for 16 maximum. I have not done that, but other people have. Then, you can do what is needed to RV the bus.

William- kansas
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:33 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Does anyone know someone in oklahoma who will help on a bus conversion that is about 80% of the way done? It's mostly electric work and engine work...
Kimmyd1822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus conversion, oklahoma, requirements, school bus, title