Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Oklahoma tagging options

I’m looking for someone in Oklahoma who can help me out with tagging info. My bus is a 1997 Thomas 7.3 international T444e. It GVWR is 29k. I’m wanting to find out my options as my plans are to make it into a toy hauler/rv. I do not have CDL. Don’t really want to get them if I don’t have to. Thanks for any info.

Bearrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Register in VT by mail until your conversion qualifies as an RV
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Can you tell me more about the process? This is all prettty new to me.
Thank you
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I would suggest that you figure out the Oklahoma process before you decide.

The VT process is outline here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

If you go this route you could register as an RV without having done the conversion.

Once it is titled/registered as an RV in one state it is generally very easy to register in another state as an RV without having to prove it is complete.

Again, figure out Oklahoma's process first. It may be easier than you think.

Here in WA it is very straightforward. They do have some requirements but no inspection. Some have taken considerable license in the interpretation of the requirements.

I took the seats out and put in the following :

Air mattress
Camp stove
Inverter (120watt if I recall)
Camp toilet (5 gallon bucket with seat/lid
Ice chest

After pulling the seats, I spent about 20 minutes on the "conversion".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would suggest that you figure out the Oklahoma process before you decide.

The VT process is outline here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

If you go this route you could register as an RV without having done the conversion.

Once it is titled/registered as an RV in one state it is generally very easy to register in another state as an RV without having to prove it is complete.

Again, figure out Oklahoma's process first. It may be easier than you think.

Here in WA it is very straightforward. They do have some requirements but no inspection. Some have taken considerable license in the interpretation of the requirements.

I took the seats out and put in the following :

Air mattress
Camp stove
Inverter (120watt if I recall)
Camp toilet (5 gallon bucket with seat/lid
Ice chest

After pulling the seats, I spent about 20 minutes on the "conversion".

What is the advantage to registering it in Vt.? Some say cheaper insurance, but the cheaper insurance is for a converted RV. If I convert my title to an RV in VT. and State Farm doesn't see the required improvements they won't insure it, so much for saving money. I know we use the Vt. title/registration a bunch on motorcycles, but that is just to get a title for a bike that was sold without one. Ga. will not issue a title on anything older than 25 years. You can register without a title, but they will not issue you a new one without an old one first. Having the Vt, title will get me a title in Ga. I personally use no title as a bargaining point, though it has no bearing on legality in Ga.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Some states just don't allow it.

Some only after the conversion is done, but towing or flatbedding is a PITA.

Cheaper, easier than other paths.

But only for some, just mentioning as one option.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #7

I appreciate all the info. From what info I can find it would be easier to register it in VT. Then I could insure it and drive it while in the process of converting. To change the title in Oklahoma you have to show all the the progress before they will change it from what I understand. Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearrjones View Post
I appreciate all the info. From what info I can find it would be easier to register it in VT. Then I could insure it and drive it while in the process of converting. To change the title in Oklahoma you have to show all the the progress before they will change it from what I understand. Thanks again!
You'll likely not be able to insure as an RV. You'll have to have a Commercial for Personal use policy. While Vermont gets you out of the registration issue without any inspections, your insurance company will want to inspect it or have detailed pics of the conversion before they'll insure it as an RV at the cheaper rate. State Farm here wants nothing to do with it until the conversion is complete.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You'll likely not be able to insure as an RV. You'll have to have a Commercial for Personal use policy. While Vermont gets you out of the registration issue without any inspections, your insurance company will want to inspect it or have detailed pics of the conversion before they'll insure it as an RV at the cheaper rate. State Farm here wants nothing to do with it until the conversion is complete.
Pretty much on spot except that State Farm does offer "Coomercial for personal" in some markets. I have insure 3 with them so far.

Have you found what Oklahoma requires? Do we have any Oklahoma members that can share their experience?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Look around for a friendly local agent. Calling the insurance co's direct will rarely get you anywhere.

"Virtually move" if possible / necessary to a different state.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Look around for a friendly local agent. Calling the insurance co's direct will rarely get you anywhere.

"Virtually move" if possible / necessary to a different state.
I have a good long standing relationship with my agent. Im 33 and have been dealing with her since I was 16. So hopefully I shouldn’t have a problem but we’ll see. I was hoping some Okies would chime in with their experiences.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearrjones View Post
I have a good long standing relationship with my agent. Im 33 and have been dealing with her since I was 16. So hopefully I shouldn’t have a problem but we’ll see. I was hoping some Okies would chime in with their experiences.
Everyone experiences something different, even in the same states. I highly recommend contacting your insurance agent before ever making a purchase and asking a lot of hypothetical questions. Am I covered on a new purchase for a period of time on my existing policy? (might get you home without having to purchase new policy)
Will you insure a school bus?
Will you insure an RV converted bus?
What policy would need for a school bus. What policy will I need for an RV?
What are the requirements to consider it an RV?

If you get all these answered your registration and title process will go much smoother.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Most agents have no clue and are not willing to spend the time to get up to speed on such a difficult niche.

So if your existing one says it's not possible, say fine and start calling around to find the one(s) that already know what's possible in that state.