Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: E-450 Collins
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
Oregon Short Bus Questions???

Hey all,

I have recently been making grandiose plans of converting a 5-6 window E450 bus and living full-time on the streets of Portland, OR. I figured I would do a conversion and park it in neighborhoods and such like I see a lot of folks do around here.

However, a co-worker overheard my plan and said that some of his friends had had a ton of difficulty with new laws and crackdowns in Oregon. According to him, Oregon law states:

-Anything longer than 24 feet is illegal to park in a street. Even if the hitch makes it 24" 1', it is illegal to park on a city street.

-In order to register a vehicle as an RV, it cannot be a home conversion. It must have the bed, plumbing, and stove installed by a professional. (So much for being the pioneer/covered wagon state)

-An E350 counts as a van but an E450 would count as a bus and require a CDL as well move it into a more expensive registration category based on its weight capacity. (I am going to be getting a CDL for work though so I am less worried about this. Although he also said that it would be a lot harder to get an E450 worked on.)

Does anyone else have any more information? I won't have time to call the DMV until early next week but there is the potential that I would be purchasing a 6 window E450 (in NY) next week.

I do have some money saved and could potentially go to a professional for a little help in the conversion (although I really wanted to avoid that altogether) but those other restrictions seem like a huge setback in my visioning. Back to the pre-drawing board? Rent someones yard or driveway to park in (bleh)? Register it in NY? Feeling rather disheartened...

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

jmccoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

This defines bus and motor home. In oregon. http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bil...rs/ors801.html
Punkrock126 is offline   Reply With Quote