Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 06:21 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberace_Exploded View Post
I own three buses, I have also had to purchase three trip permits in Oregon and for Washington, crossing into Oregon State. Oregon does NOT require any driver to have a CDL when driving a bus weather that is a school bus or a large tour bus unless over 40,000 lbs ( I believe that's the tonnage) Oregon will require a licensed driver, even if they are from another state they must have a valid proof of ID, they also require insurance on the bus, if I were you, I would ensure the bus as a personal driver only meaning, let the insurance company know you are using the bus as a personal vehicle to drive to get groceries or pick things up around town. Progressive Insurance commercial division offers this for about $300 yearly if you keep mileage lower side. The trip permit is $38 as I recall.

Oregon also requires the bill of sale to be signed buy the legal owner and the owner's name who sold it to you must appear on that document. If the bus is being purchased from the child that was willed the bus through the death of a parent then the bus must also have the proper paperwork: death certificate and proof the court has granted power to sell under the child's name on behalf of the deceased.

this rocks!!! yeah orogressive is going to insure it.. they have both of my other busses as you mention, personal use of a commercial vehicle.. since both my other busses are still busses, they have no issues.. and this one will be the same, it will be like my others and Not converted.. and its title will stay Bus.

the seller has clear title and has everything good there.. he is a legit car dealer in oregon so I'll have a proper bill of sale and the title in hand to go to the DMV for the trip permit..

great post thanks for the info!

im interested to hear about your 3 busses too!!
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #22

Try your local DMV you should be able to get a temporary transport tag. Here in NC they are valid for 10 days I think.
Shortbusgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I actually registered a bus in Ohio to drive to NJ... Ohio was very easy to get a Temp tag to drive it... they only needed to see the paperwork and my ID's to get the temp tag... perhaps you can get the paperwork and just get a temp tag from Ohio and then drive it back and get a perm tag?
Thomas810 is offline   Reply With Quote