Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Oregon - temp tag and drive home?

hi there.. im looking at buying a bus in Oregon.. my questions revolve around how to obtain a trip permit and the proper type I need to drive it out of state..

im not looking to title and register it permanently in oregon, just be legal to drive it the 3000 miles back to ohio..

is oregon DMV likely to require me to produce a CDL or DOT number for a personal bus tag? it appears i'll need a heavy vehicle trip permit?

who has bought one in oregon and drove it home out of state?

once in ohio its easy for me.. ohio is pretty cool about them and my insurance is easy esp since the prospective possible bus is 40 years old.

trying to see if this is even feasibly possible before i go bid on a bus out there only to find im in red-tape to obtain it and drive it home..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No idea about the laws out there. But could they send you the paperwork so you could just get a tag in OH?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No idea about the laws out there. But could they send you the paperwork so you could just get a tag in OH?

ohio is going to want to inspect it to make sure the VIN matches is the issue with that.. its worth a call to the DMV on monday morning though to see if i can do that.

if it were still yellow and fully outfitted as a school bus I might be inclined just to drive it.. but as expected a 40 year old bus has been painted..

-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Here's some interesting read on Ore. There's all kinds of info on how to get vehicles to Ore., but nothing about getting a temp tag to get the hell out of Dodge other than "visit your local DMV for a temp tag.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/page...rippermit.aspx
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ohio is going to want to inspect it to make sure the VIN matches is the issue with that.. its worth a call to the DMV on monday morning though to see if i can do that.

if it were still yellow and fully outfitted as a school bus I might be inclined just to drive it.. but as expected a 40 year old bus has been painted..

-Christopher
Maybe you can get a "heavy vehicle trip permit".
Quote:
Allows the use of unregistered:

Motor vehicles with a registration weight (ORS 801.420) over 8,000 pounds.
Motorized fixed load vehicles.
This permit cannot be used on:

Tow/recovery vehicles; or
Motor homes.
Requirements:

$43 fee for 10 consecutive days; and
Combined weight (ORS 801.199).
To apply for this trip permit, see "Buy a Trip Permit" above.

Weight-Mile Tax and Over-Dimension Permits

Vehicles with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds may be subject to weight-mile tax. Vehicles with a combined weight over 80,000 pounds require an over-dimension permit.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Maybe you can get a "heavy vehicle trip permit".

thats exactly the one im looking at.. trying to figure out if they are going to make me get a DOT number.. that top line of heavy vehicle trip permit makes me wonder.. this is one of those deals i have a feeling I wont know until im standing at the DMV desk and either get a totally cool employee or one that wheres their hat low and back..
-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
thats exactly the one im looking at.. trying to figure out if they are going to make me get a DOT number.. that top line of heavy vehicle trip permit makes me wonder.. this is one of those deals i have a feeling I wont know until im standing at the DMV desk and either get a totally cool employee or one that wheres their hat low and back..
-Christopher
I think when you're standing in front at the DMV counter you are going to find how easy it is to get a 3-10-30 day temp tag to get out of Dodge. I just drove home from there with no issues without a tag.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think when you're standing in front at the DMV counter you are going to find how easy it is to get a 3-10-30 day temp tag to get out of Dodge. I just drove home from there with no issues without a tag.

your bus is yellow and looks like a school bus still though... this one has already been painted since its a church
-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Get a bill of sale. Drive home and hope for the best! I have gotten away with this when buying a car in Virginia. I had a buddy drive me out. I got the title work done at a notary and a bill of sale. We headed home and got pulled over in PA. Cop asked about tags. I told the truth and he let us roll.

Not sure if this would work for you, but I might have gotten lucky. I had my driver's licence, Insurance card (told cop I called insurance company at time of purchase and added it) and the paper work from notary.

Seems like a lot of paperwork for a cop to try and pin something on you is my idea.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
for what it is worth I live in Oregon and bought my bus that was 90 minutes away (in Oregon). no plates, no temp tags. rolled the dice and got it home with no problems. Depends on the mood of the trooper that pulled you over (if it did happen)... plus you have more states to drive through. hmmm. not sure Christopher. best of luck.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
Bus Geek

i have enough info to be dangerous.. even though the bus is white N red it is still all original, fully seated with windows so it doesnt look like anything worth pulling over... its 40 years old ....

"officer im going to a classic car cruise..."

-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
your bus is yellow and looks like a school bus still though... this one has already been painted since its a church
-Christopher
Wait, dont you have God on your side when driving one of those? Aren't you insured by a higher power?

Cops only pull you for tags so they can look for drugs and alcohol and other nefarious items. Chris, you are the least likely to get a ticket for tags in this kind of situation. If you didn't get pulled over with me driving you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I picked my bus up in Oregon and brought it back to Washington. Before I left I purchased a WA temporary tag to accomodate the drive home.

It appears that Ohio offers something similar. From the BMV website:

"If you choose to have a 45-day temporary tag issued, it must be obtained before you transfer the vehicle title into your name. Once an Ohio title is established, you will only be able to purchase permanent Ohio license plates."

I found that here: State of Ohio BMV
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Wait, dont you have God on your side when driving one of those? Aren't you insured by a higher power?

Cops only pull you for tags so they can look for drugs and alcohol and other nefarious items. Chris, you are the least likely to get a ticket for tags in this kind of situation. If you didn't get pulled over with me driving you have nothing to worry about.

ha!! or me being WAYY beyone my normal hours of awake-time driving the bus half asleep!! i already had 500 miles down before i picked you up lol

-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I picked my bus up in Oregon and brought it back to Washington. Before I left I purchased a WA temporary tag to accomodate the drive home.

It appears that Ohio offers something similar. From the BMV website:

"If you choose to have a 45-day temporary tag issued, it must be obtained before you transfer the vehicle title into your name. Once an Ohio title is established, you will only be able to purchase permanent Ohio license plates."

I found that here: State of Ohio BMV

all depends on whether they will issue that temp tag without inspecting the VIN first on the bus.. normally they want to look under the hood at the VIN to make sure the actual vehicle and title VIN match. but maybe with pics of the vehicle and bill of sale and title i can snag that plate.. im gonna try..

first thing first i gotta get the bus lololol
-Christopher
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I drove mine back from Kankakee, IL to Billings, MT with just the drive-off in the back window. Nary a cop in sight. Of course, SBY and School Bus on front and back makes it almost invisible. When I got home, I went straight to MVD. It was registered as a bus ($$$), but I haven't moved her since 2015. I'll have her re-titled as an RV = someday.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

My new bus still has the county tag on it and the insurance card in the plastic holder on the header.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
My son-in-law picked his up in Beaverton, Or and drove it to my house to get it checked out before driving to San Antonio, Tx, all on a temp permit from Oregon that he picked up from DMV just up the street from where he picked up the bus. This was about two years ago.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #19

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International Harvester, Thomas, Leyland and Eagle
Chassis: Carpenter, Thomas, Leyland & Eagle Coachworks
Engine: Three separate engines
I own three buses, I have also had to purchase three trip permits in Oregon and for Washington, crossing into Oregon State. Oregon does NOT require any driver to have a CDL when driving a bus weather that is a school bus or a large tour bus unless over 40,000 lbs ( I believe that's the tonnage) Oregon will require a licensed driver, even if they are from another state they must have a valid proof of ID, they also require insurance on the bus, if I were you, I would ensure the bus as a personal driver only meaning, let the insurance company know you are using the bus as a personal vehicle to drive to get groceries or pick things up around town. Progressive Insurance commercial division offers this for about $300 yearly if you keep mileage lower side. The trip permit is $38 as I recall.

Oregon also requires the bill of sale to be signed buy the legal owner and the owner's name who sold it to you must appear on that document. If the bus is being purchased from the child that was willed the bus through the death of a parent then the bus must also have the proper paperwork: death certificate and proof the court has granted power to sell under the child's name on behalf of the deceased.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
Bus Nut

I drove our bus from Kentucky to California got pulled over in Az and paid the weight fees for that state. Bill of sale in hand and co race the state you buy it in for a one way trip permit. One day or a month, it’s a one way ticket $25. Under 26,000 gvw you won’t need a commercial
License. If you get it registered as a motorhome then I’m not sure what would happen.
Cheers
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote