Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Our nh troubles

After having a van chassis bus i thought registration would go through with the same ease but was i wrong, we found a bus paid for it got the paper work went to the dmv office and got a 20 day plate to drive it home. A week or 2 later we went to our town hall and tried to get it registered, the title said school bus and i told her what i wanted to do was to convert it but just needed to get it registered for now. After a few phone calls i was told the state had to look at it and inspect it to get the title changed. At hat point i said that was fine i could do that down the road after i convert it and said what about registering it as a truck or bus, well going the truck route would require the same state police inspection, how about a bus then " your not aloud to register it as a bus those require special plates and several other things". The biggest issue in this matter was my 20 day tag had expired so it could not legally be driven to the inspection station plus even if i tried having only 20 days to completely repaint and strip the bus fix any issues that come up with stripping the bus and get it inspected which were only done once a week in a four hour window while working full time just to be able to title it as a truck then do our conversion. So thanks to this forum i sent my paperwork of to vermont and now have the vehicle in my name while im putting all this money into it. Being a neighboring state to vermont and doing many trips to the state im ok with taking a little time out of one of those trips to get it inspected up there to meet vehicle safety inspection requirements

MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
You may want to consider going the Vermont route.

Take a look at this: How to immediatEly register your bus as an RV without conversion: - Page 85 - School Bus Conversion Resources

They will register it as an RV by mail with no inspection. Once you have it registered in VT as an RV you can take you paperwork to NH and register there. Or, if you are going to be on the road, keep it registered in VT.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
We did wind up going the vt route and got our plates. I just put this up to let others know of some concerns if they were to do this as well in nh
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I'm currently doing this in NH. Its taken me 2 years. I'll start another thread on it.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I'm currently doing this in NH. Its taken me 2 years. I'll start another thread on it.
Found, and commented upon! [emoji106]