Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Question Permanent Land Dwellers

Hi! I am new here! My husband and I have been dreaming about converting a school bus for months. We have started to look for land to put a bus on permanently, due to having full time desk jobs that we don't want to leave. We live in Southeastern Wisconsin and are having issues with land laws. They state that no mobile home or RV (or anything with wheels for that matter) can be permanently lived in, unless the mobile home is in a mobile home park. So for anyone out there that lives in their bus full time on land, is this just illegal and people do it anyway? Or what is a way of "getting around" this?

Thank you!
-Aly

R&AinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The laws vary from state to state so it's up to someone from your state to relate real experience with the problems of bus conversion. There's always loopholes.

Got a bus yet?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Where I live there is a tolerance for staying 6 months of the year in your RV on your own land (outside city limits).

There is no active enforcement. They only bother you if someone complains.

I do my best to take VERY good care of my neighbors.

I would suggest that you look a bit out of town and see if you can find a place that will let you "fly under the radar".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Keep it licensed and insured and drive it down the road a bit and stay over night and then thy can't say a word. Either gravel or concrete or asphalt a parking spot and put a RV carport to park under. Install holding tank or septic. and get power. You can argue that this is just a temporary parking place and you don't live there . You must be mobile and do it to reset the clock.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
The regulations on what you can do on your land is almost always different from one jurisdiction to another. Just keep in mind that in reality it is never really yours, your just paying x amount for exclusive use.
People hate on HOA's but really your local building code and local ordinances are no different than an HOA.
You will likely have a hard time finding a place that will allow what you desire.
Southeast WI is like North Chicago or South Milwaukee.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
The regulations on what you can do on your land is almost always different from one jurisdiction to another. Just keep in mind that in reality it is never really yours, your just paying x amount for exclusive use.
People hate on HOA's but really your local building code and local ordinances are no different than an HOA.
You will likely have a hard time finding a place that will allow what you desire.
Southeast WI is like North Chicago or South Milwaukee.
Depends on the location. Bourbon County is eastern Ks has no building code.OR the last i knew.

A thing to consider is how quick a Skoolie will go down hill just sitting.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy G3500
Engine: 5.7 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&AinWI View Post
Hi! I am new here! My husband and I have been dreaming about converting a school bus for months. We have started to look for land to put a bus on permanently, due to having full time desk jobs that we don't want to leave. We live in Southeastern Wisconsin and are having issues with land laws. They state that no mobile home or RV (or anything with wheels for that matter) can be permanently lived in, unless the mobile home is in a mobile home park. So for anyone out there that lives in their bus full time on land, is this just illegal and people do it anyway? Or what is a way of "getting around" this?

Thank you!
-Aly
Honest Officer I'm just parked here cause I got a flat tire,
4 years ago
Flhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Double07,

that is EXACTLY how it is, and it will get more elaborate and more expensive.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You can also build a little barn to park your bus in, making it very hard for anyone to see what you're living in.

The real deal is are your neighbors going to complain? Complaints are what gets people busted.

Tags
land, laws, question