Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
Chassis: TBD
Engine: TBD
Rated Cap: TBD
Question permanent legal residence?

for any of you who live in your skoolie permanently: how have you dealt with the issue of a permanent address? i need one for purposes of registration, insurance, voting, etc., but what if the bus is my primary residence? what if i have no "permanent" address? is there a way you know of dealing with this situation?

berndesauermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevy Midbus
Engine: GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndesauermann View Post
for any of you who live in your skoolie permanently: how have you dealt with the issue of a permanent address? i need one for purposes of registration, insurance, voting, etc., but what if the bus is my primary residence? what if i have no "permanent" address? is there a way you know of dealing with this situation?
This link has good info around permanent residency when full timing. There are various mail forwarding services that you can use to get mail also.

http://axleaddict.com/rvs/Full-Time-...tate-Residency

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
How about you get a PO box at the nearest post office?
Old 12-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Most fulltimers use one of the mail forwarding companies in Florida, Texas, or South Dakota. These are the states that are most friendly to this "arrangement". In the case of South Dakota, I made one trip there to establish residency and get my drivers license. The mail forwarder that I use deals with the annual vehicle registration. Works great for me.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
Chassis: TBD
Engine: TBD
Rated Cap: TBD
perfect--thanks so much...
berndesauermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so if you list with one of those companies.. ie one in florida do you pay your income taxes in that state? we are moving our company HQ to florida, however since we are an LLC, they nail us for state income taxes where our houses are.. just wondering how a skoolie full-timer that works On-grid files state and local taxes
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so if you list with one of those companies.. ie one in florida do you pay your income taxes in that state? we are moving our company HQ to florida, however since we are an LLC, they nail us for state income taxes where our houses are.. just wondering how a skoolie full-timer that works On-grid files state and local taxes
Yes, that is correct. You are a resident of that state and everything "works" that way - even when you are not actually there.

In my case, I am employed and I use America's Mailbox (Americas-Mailbox Home - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox) in South Dakota. My domicile/permanent mailing address is the address provided by Americas Mailbox. I have a SD drivers license and license plates on both vehicles. No state personal income tax in SD (or FL). Voting is done via absentee. Bank accounts and such all use that SD address. I have the plan that allows me to see the mail that has arrived (the filter junk mail automatically), select which items I want trashed, and which are to be forwarded to me. Every once in a while (once a month or so) I have the waiting mail sent to wherever I am (usually via USPS general delivery). If an important mail item arrives, they will open and scan the contents for me which I can then view via their website.

And! If you signup with Americas Mailbox and mention my name, I get a credit of some sort!!

Edit: I should probably mention that this is all legal and works for fulltimers as they travel a lot and really do not "live" in any one place. I suspect people have attempted to cheat the system doing this (but actually living somewhere) and I bet the IRS figures it out pretty quick so I'm not advocating that.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Good info...thanks for sharing.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by berndesauermann View Post
Use a mailing address...you may have to have a permanent address to back up THAT address...but once established you're good to go

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I use a relatives address in Florida - but on the tax question: my company says that I can’t work out of state (I do work remotely) - but they say if I travel out of state, I would have to pay income tax in that state (even if it is just for a day). Is there any knowledge on this one? I am sure they track my IP address when traveling - but is that a real thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I use a relatives address in Florida - but on the tax question: my company says that I can’t work out of state (I do work remotely) - but they say if I travel out of state, I would have to pay income tax in that state (even if it is just for a day). Is there any knowledge on this one? I am sure they track my IP address when traveling - but is that a real thing?

I bet so...but state taxes are extremely low...it would just be a paperwork issue...your IP ain't relative to location...GPS, yes

Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

They don't track anyone's address if you are using a VPN ... which for non-private connections you should be anyway.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

I am not any kind of tax guru but I have spent a lot of time working at distant customer sites. I have also worked in one state while living in another. Sone of the states that I worked or lived in had state income tax some did not.

What held true in all of them: State income tax liability was always based upon my State of residence.

I worked for a company in Nevada and lived in Nevada. No state income tax. I moved my home 6 miles. Same job company and location but my new home was in Arizona. I had to pay Arizona income tax on my Nevada income.

Hope that helps.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I don't know about mail-forwarders, but when I tried to get a P.O. box (at the both the U.S. Post Office and private companies) I had to have a local address.

To get established in Oregon (I do plan on staying there at some point soon) I held up in a hotel for 10 days while I waited for the state to mail my new driver's license to my "residence" address (the hotel - they don't mail to P.O. boxes, they said). With that in hand, I got a private P.O. box, and went back to the DMV the next day and changed my mailing address to the P.O. box. Now I'm waiting for my title to come to the P.O. box, but I left the hotel.

It would be nice if they had weekly rates at the hotel, but they did not. Still cheaper than renting an apartment...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I don't know about mail-forwarders, but when I tried to get a P.O. box (at the both the U.S. Post Office and private companies) I had to have a local address.

To get established in Oregon (I do plan on staying there at some point soon) I held up in a hotel for 10 days while I waited for the state to mail my new driver's license to my "residence" address (the hotel - they don't mail to P.O. boxes, they said). With that in hand, I got a private P.O. box, and went back to the DMV the next day and changed my mailing address to the P.O. box. Now I'm waiting for my title to come to the P.O. box, but I left the hotel.

It would be nice if they had weekly rates at the hotel, but they did not. Still cheaper than renting an apartment...
Here, some motels are weeklies...maybe laws are different in OR

Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what I was told about working out of state,.. if you perform work ON something in that state.. ie if your company does business with someone in that state then your company must file taxes there.. if you are an employee your work is for your company and your company hires out to the customers so your personal income taxes are for your state of residence. if you own your own Business and your business has direct customers in other states, then your business must file taxes there..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #17

Yes you must pay Federal and State taxes on any income earned in
that state, if of course that state has a state income tax.
Mckeesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #18
Bus Nut

You can use a PO Box for most things. Somethings like voting require a fixed(living, residence) address, many times you can be creative with these sometimes not.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
...your IP ain't relative to location..