Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466/5 speed spicer
Rated Cap: 72
possible way to get insurance before completing conversion

Many people seem to be having the worst time with that P.... company (who shall go otherwise nameless), but I managed to get insurance with them for my bus at the very beginning of my conversion and only 2 days after I bought it as a yellow-stop-sign-equipped regularly outfitted school type bus.

This is what I did: I called up my insurance policy with whom I have had an auto policy for about a year and told them I just bought a school bus and that I ripped out all the seats (except two in the front) and painted it grey. I told them that I was using it to do non-commercial woodworking and other types of projects and that I needed the space for a hobby-type workshop and/or to haul unsplit cords of firewood back to my house and for a variety of other chores. They asked me how far I planned to drive and since I am not really going anywhere during the conversion, I said that I would barely be driving it all. The policy is for less than $50/month- still expensive, but it will go down when the conversion is complete and I re-register it with good sam as a completed conversion. Good luck to all who are starting the process. If I can answer any questions about what happened to me, I'll be happy to.

slideforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: B700
Engine: 5.9L 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger
who is your insurance policy holder?
LRflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Skoolie

I just told my insurance I had a bus, it was for private use. I was given insurance, later the underwriter asked for a picture inside which had no seats.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466/5 speed spicer
Rated Cap: 72
like I hinted before, my company is progressive. I think it's totally reasonable to use a vehicle as sturdy and as cheap to purchase (relatively) as a retired school bus for a variety of purposes other than its original use.

Sometimes the insurance companies need to understand this as well.
slideforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Remember, you're talking about progressives, er, progressivism, er, morons. Yeah, that's the one!