Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

Pre-Conversion Insurance in Michigan

Hello Everyone,

One of my dreams in life has always been to convert an old school bus into a motorhome. I have finally got to a point in my lift where this might be a option for me to explore. In starting to look at the logistics of this endeavor I am running into one big unknown, Insurance. I contacted State Farm (My primary for my house and other cars) and they said they would cover it in the converted stage but not pre-conversion. I have called 4 insurance company and the big one who used to do person use buses and who many others use as an underwriter said they do not do it anymore. One small local agent is checking into wither they cover them at all, and the best answer I have gotten so far is farmers who said that might be able to do it but the cost might be higher. Because I do not want to buy a bus before I can make sure the insurance end is covered. I gave them a VIN from a comparable bus of the type I am looking to but(a Thomas FS65).

So my question to this fine forum is if none these options do not work out what might be some of my other options to at least legally get my bus home (Most Likely going to buy from out of state)? One thing I saw at the top of this forum is the Vermont plate. Would I be able to get out of Michigan insurance for that? Any and all input on this would be a huge help.

Thanks again

flymasterjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Skoolie

Have you tried National General or Good Sam?

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
State Farm, whom I'm covered by now on my truck and home, and life, wouldn't cover it during the build, as you mentioned, but will once it's converted. they directed me to a competitor in town who could write a "commercial for personal use" policy for $171/yr through Progressive. I have found my experience to be quite simple while others who went directly to Progressive were unsuccessful.
I didn't see where you're from (go to the UserCP and fill out your profile). In Ga. you can drive on the bill of sale for 30 days and State Farm will insure "any new/used purchase" for 7 days to get it home. Even the bus that they won't write a policy on was covered under this period. Check your local state laws first.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #4

Sorry for the delay, I talked to someone at the local state farm and they said that they would cover one pre conversion, also I will call good sam and give that a try along with Allstate. Progressive was no luck and national general would not take it.

Thanks again o1marc and sutphinins for the quick replay and advice.
flymasterjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have had great luck with State Farm.

3 buses pre-conversion and 1 complete.

Things do vary considerably by state and carrier.

State Farm also covered my purchases for two weeks compared to one week that they offer Marc in Georgia.

I would consider following up, maybe with a different (SF) agent, and don't mention conversion.Let them know that the seats have been removed and you are using it for personal use. Ask for a "commercial vehicle for personal use " policy.

Failing there, call Progressive Commercial. Don't use the website. Or, a local independent agent.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would consider following up, maybe with a different (SF) agent, and don't mention conversion.Let them know that the seats have been removed and you are using it for personal use. Ask for a "commercial vehicle for personal use " policy.
This. Leave the word conversion out when talking to the insurance companies. Progressive, I know from personal experience, records your conversation even so calling back later after you've already gotten a quote won't work either. I ended up doing thru someone in the yellow pages. When all the paperwork showed up, it was underwritten by Progressive.

Anywho, going thru insurance problems with the state now. In order to be registered, it has to have liability. My bus has storage insurance on it but since it's stored on base it has to be registered as well. The state is trying to fine me now. My insurance company sent a letter that the state called them. The state hasn't even bothered to notify me yet. They want t wait until the daily fees start.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have a number of bitches about Washington State but this is one place where there is a bit of common Sense.

I can suspend coverage on a vehicle if I am not driving it. All it takes to reinstate is a phone call.

The bus that I had a tree fall on, I had suspended all but comp. It cost me just a few dollars a month to keep comprehensive and it covered (generously) when the tree fell on it. Paid almost as much as the purchase price of the bus. Then I sold it for $500 more than the purchase price.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
, and don't mention conversion.Let them know that the seats have been removed and you are using it for personal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
This. Leave the word conversion out when talking to the insurance companies.

That's terrible advice. If you're going to convert it to an RV while it's insured, get it insured properly in the first place. Or don't register it while you're converting it if you can't get it insured while under conversion & don't drive it on public roads.

I'll share a story my boss told me. A farmer was letting this guy fish in the pond on his property. One day the guy brings his kid along. Well the guy gets drunk and passes out, and his kid drowns in the pond. This guy sues the farmer, and wins, and the farmer loses everything. The farmer did nothing wrong yet he lost.

Can you get insurance by not mentioning conversion? Possibly. Is it actually going to cover you? Probably not. Is it worth the risk? Not at all.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
That's terrible advice. If you're going to convert it to an RV while it's insured, get it insured properly in the first place. Or don't register it while you're converting it if you can't get it insured while under conversion & don't drive it on public roads.

I'll share a story my boss told me. A farmer was letting this guy fish in the pond on his property. One day the guy brings his kid along. Well the guy gets drunk and passes out, and his kid drowns in the pond. This guy sues the farmer, and wins, and the farmer loses everything. The farmer did nothing wrong yet he lost.

Can you get insurance by not mentioning conversion? Possibly. Is it actually going to cover you? Probably not. Is it worth the risk? Not at all.
I believe my policy through Progressive is a "Commercial for personal use", doesn't matter what I'm doing with it during that time. You can convert it during this time and still be covered. I'm surprised by how many go directly through Progressive and get turned down, and then go through an independent agent that ends up getting you a policy through Progressive.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I'd not be so hasty. What's wrong with insuring a bus as what it is? What if someone needs to drive DURING the conversion. Its not terrible advice to suggest doing something completely legal. All he was suggesting was that you don't want to say the word "conversion" until its done. Nothing nefarious in there. I've got a commercial for private use policy. Its completely legit. Once the bus is fully camperized I can insure it as a motorhome. No one's going to insure it as such until that's done. I've gotten into a fender bender long ago with a bus. Had a policy. USAA was like "haha we're not going to pay, come at me bro".
Insurance is a piece of paper that lets you drive on public roads.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have a number of bitches about Washington State but this is one place where there is a bit of common Sense.

I can suspend coverage on a vehicle if I am not driving it. All it takes to reinstate is a phone call.
The insurance company allows me to do that. It's the state that's a bunch of a$$holes. As I had storage coverage, the insurance company wasn't obligated to notify the state. The state took it upon themselves to call the insurance company. That is a dick move.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
USAA was like "haha we're not going to pay, come at me bro".
Mo, it's a legalized and required (most places) ponzi scheme. Why they are allowed to make a profit is a mystery to me.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
I'd not be so hasty. What's wrong with insuring a bus as what it is? What if someone needs to drive DURING the conversion. Its not terrible advice to suggest doing something completely legal. All he was suggesting was that you don't want to say the word "conversion" until its done. Nothing nefarious in there. I've got a commercial for private use policy. Its completely legit. Once the bus is fully camperized I can insure it as a motorhome. No one's going to insure it as such until that's done. I've gotten into a fender bender long ago with a bus. Had a policy. USAA was like "haha we're not going to pay, come at me bro".
That situation where an insurance company won't pay is why you want to be upfront with an agent in the first place. I like insuring these conversions, but I want to make sure you've got a policy that will actually do something for you. I might not be able to provide comprehensive or collision coverage, but at least you know if you hit someone your liability will pay for them.

I'm not saying you're doing anything illegal or nefarious, only that the insurance company most likely doesn't provide coverage for you while you're converting it if you haven't gotten the green light beforehand.

I had a situation when I first started getting these calls where a guy had a legitimate business use for the bus and could get things ready to convert it outside the bus. So we did a commercial auto policy for his bus, knowing that the carrier he was with did not allow conversions. When he was ready to convert it he was going to turn the tags in and cancel that policy, do what he needed to do and then get back with me to get a quote on a converted bus. At the time National General didn't allow under conversion in VA and he was able to use the bus as a mobile workshop under a commercial auto policy.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
Bus Geek

But I was upfront and they didn't pay. Its just a piece of paper to keep in the glove box and show to cops if asked.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
But I was upfront and they didn't pay. Its just a piece of paper to keep in the glove box and show to cops if asked.

Oh.

Was it a liability claim (you damaged someone/something else) or a property damage claim (damages to your vehicle)? If you didn't have comprehensive and collision I can see why they would say no to a claim to damages to your vehicle. If it was for other people I'm surprised to say the least.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh.

Was it a liability claim (you damaged someone/something else) or a property damage claim (damages to your vehicle)? If you didn't have comprehensive and collision I can see why they would say no to a claim to damages to your vehicle. If it was for other people I'm surprised to say the least.
One thing about a bus, in general they're unaffected by fender benders with cars. I had no damage, or at least not much. I just barely scraped an suv pulling out of the place with my very first bus. They denied me after they'd already started the policy. I had to pay the guy I hit nearly 5 grand out of pocket. I'd expect the same today. Thankfully I've gotten much better at driving buses since then. USAA can go right on to hell, I tell ya what!

Called those goons before picking up the bus, two hours later I was on the hook for five grand.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
USAA can go right on to hell, I tell ya what!

Called those goons before picking up the bus, two hours later I was on the hook for five grand.
On what grounds?

I've had USAA for almost 30yrs. I've had both good and bad experiences with them on claims.

The first was good '00 Neon I ordered brand new. Wrecked it (I was at fault) 2yrs and 30,000 miles later. They gave me my purchase price minus $900. I called them up to make sure it was correct because I didn't want a bill later saying they overpaid. They said it was correct. I made money wrecking that car.

Second time was with the VW wagon. I was NOT at fault. Ever try to buy a wagon with a manual transmission? I've had three now and I've driven WAY out of town for all three. USAA was trying to use a automatic sedan as one of the comps for the value. I don't think so. After going around and around with them for more than a month, they came up something like $1500 from where they started. And still $1500 short. I decided to settle with the other insurance company. One phone call and a week later (for them to go appraise it) and they gave me a number. SOLD!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
Bus Geek

They basically told me to kick rocks. Their legal dept was deployed and that was that. I couldn't afford to fight them.
But I've got a fancy piece of card stock that lets me drive on the roads!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #19
Skoolie

You usually hear good things about USAA. Maybe the agent that did the original policy didn't talk to an underwriter. It seems like a lot of the older agents see underwriters as a hurdle more than a resource. I've been told I talk to underwriters too much, but I was asked to insure a cannon and didn't hesitate to pick up a phone and talk to an underwriter, and got it approved.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
They basically told me to kick rocks. Their legal dept was deployed and that was that. I couldn't afford to fight them.
But I've got a fancy piece of card stock that lets me drive on the roads!
Yeah, but they had to give you a reason. Curious as to what that was. Prior to the VW, I would be sticking up for them. Since then not so much. They pissed me off royally so that isn't it.

I still have them since they are cheaper than everywhere else I've checked in the past. I do like their banking side still.