Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Good article Sara...I'm in Georgia and have insurance thru National also. Liability only, no comp/collision. I understand totally what you said and with that said, we have (intentionally) gotten 100K/300K for liability because we feel that if we were to cause an accident it would only be right for us to come up with as much money as we can afford for medical. Having more than the required 5K/10K helped considerably when I was hit by an uninsured driver a long time ago.

I honestly feel that a skoolie the size of ours will most definitely cause some issues with the person we may run into and seriously wish we were in a position to dish out a little more for a larger amount.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
I have the Crown tandem that is not yet converted under a commercial policy. The commercial division never even asked me about other vehicles and insured me right away. Again, I was talking directly with corporate. The other bus was insured as an RV with full coverage. This was through their "normal" auto and RV division. They also did not require that I insure the other vehicles. I have a suburban, a porsche, and two VW beetles with Farmers. When they are up I intend to seriously move my book of business to Progressive as they were quick and helpful. I got nothing from Farmers except a final rejection a couple of days before my National General policy was cancelling. It took them two weeks to get back to me.

Danville, California
http://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Thank you Sara! I think most of us thank about the cheapest insurance so we have more to spend on our dreams of what our skoolie is going to be? My edumecated wife thought about that when we first bought the bus and that is why I know my states requirement's for an RV but I never thought about it insurance wise?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #94
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
I just switched my insurance from National General to Progressive. I got NatGen insurance when I bought the bus in September 2013 and paid $1,400 / year for MD minimum liability with them. This was largely because I was 19, male, and had a speeding ticket and "unlawful use of license" ticket (caught driving after under 18 driver curfew).

Just on a whim (well, after making another monthly payment of $106 for my bus to sit, insured, in the driveway) I went to Progressive's site and saw they had an automated quote option for NON-Professional bus conversion under Motorhome insurance. I put in an estimated value of $15,000. It did not specify that it could not be a school bus. So I went through with it, put in my info, and picked the BEST coverage I could, and it is $698 per year. HUGE difference, less than half as much for better coverage. I attribute it to me being older, having no accidents in my documented history (or history ever!) and the tickets I got in 2011 were obsoleted due to them being over 3 years old.

I submitted this and paid the first month, submitted a week ago so I figure a real person has had time to look it over and they haven't rejected coverage yet, so that is a good sign that it is a real deal. Huge amount of money saved and I feel a lot safer if an accident happens!
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 AM   #95
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Has progressive changed their policy?
I don't think they have-
https://www.progressive.com/rv/bus-c...ssa-insurance/

Quote:
A class A non-professional bus conversion has the following characteristics:
Motor home facilities built into a Class A type bus shell, but does not include changes made to school buses or public transit buses, as these vehicles are unacceptable.
Conversion is performed by the owner of the vehicle.
Keep your fingers crossed but don't be surprised if you get a cancellation notice in a month or two. Best of luck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Ha you're right. It didn't say that when I was signing up for it (or I didn't read it). Can't wait for that cancellation notice!
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #97
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Hey MAYBE you'll get lucky and it will never be sent. Stranger things have happened!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #98
Mini-Skoolie

Try 3000 $
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Has progressive changed their policy?
I don't think they have-
https://www.progressive.com/rv/bus-c...ssa-insurance/

Keep your fingers crossed but don't be surprised if you get a cancellation notice in a month or two. Best of luck.
Maybe you'll be OK as long as you don't admit that (1) it's a school bus, and (2) you won't sleep with Flo.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #100
Skoolie

WV requires a Certificate of Insurance to get the title and the registration.