Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #201
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Well it's not definite yet, but definitely looking up.

I got ahold of Max (TN Redneck's insurance guy from a few posts back), dropped his name and said I wanted the same thing. He asked a few questions, asked for some photos, and it's with underwriting now so we'll see what happens. They wrote his policy so I don't see any issue getting mine.... it will be 81 down, 65 a month until it's done, then will probably go down. That's with titling and registering as a passenger vehicle like he did.

I'll update when I know for sure, and if the rates change significantly.

If it works out I might move my car and motorcycle insurance to there too, kind of keep everything under one roof.

EDIT: Max came through! Jasmine is now insured.
If you could retitle it as an RV without converting (reference my "How to register a bus as an RV without converting" thread) would it be any less of a hassle with these insurance guys? Something like, 'Hey, I'd like to insure my RV ...' instead of 'my bus'...

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #202
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
If you could retitle it as an RV without converting (reference my "How to register a bus as an RV without converting" thread) would it be any less of a hassle with these insurance guys? Something like, 'Hey, I'd like to insure my RV ...' instead of 'my bus'...
I don't know, it might..... only thing that might cause an issue is the VIN will still decode as a bus, no matter what the title says. Would be worth a try though.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #203
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Got a very appealing quote from progressive this evening for my suburban... Note that they do not consider multi-vehicle discounts for the commercial/personal bus and personal vehicles. The two policies are separate.
But, I would receive a multi-vehicle discount if I add the boat & suburban.
They have accident forgiveness discount, no accident anniversary discounts, and different tier level discounts.
And I was looking at only saving $116 over a 6 month to drop from full coverage ($1000 deductible) and going to liability only.
The suburban is my only personal vehicle, and I wouldn't be able to replace it with liability only insurance.

So, on payday... I'll be switched over 100% to progressive for all my vehicles.
I really like the auto-debit each month... My current insurance company is very hit or miss when they debit my account. My bus insurance debits the account flawlessly on the same day of month.

Just something for y'all to think about when using progressive insurance.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #204
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
they gave me multi vehicle when i added my second bus... and now I have multi-driver too.. no charge.. so If i chose to let someone other than me drive one of the busses on occasion, I could...

then again maybe because both busses are on the same policy?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #205
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
I'm about to buy my first bus I'm a week or two. It is from a school yard and I need to figure out how to register and insure her so we can be on the road. I think I am going with the VT registration. But do I need a trip permit to driver her home? Or can I drive it home with the schools registration? I currently have progressive insurance. Do I simply go online and add the bus as an RV for the trip back? Or does it show up as a school bus? I'm starting to get confused!
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #206
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
I'm about to buy my first bus I'm a week or two. It is from a school yard and I need to figure out how to register and insure her so we can be on the road. I think I am going with the VT registration. But do I need a trip permit to driver her home? Or can I drive it home with the schools registration? I currently have progressive insurance. Do I simply go online and add the bus as an RV for the trip back? Or does it show up as a school bus? I'm starting to get confused!
Rules vary by state but generally you will need to visit your local licensing office, online or in person, and get a "trip permit". Here in WA they cost $30 and are valid for 3 or 4 days. The bus seller will usually remove the license plates from the bus before you pick it up.

As far as insurance goes, most policies I have dealt with have 2 weeks of coverage that extends to vehicle purchases. Call your insurance agent to check your policy. If your existing insurance does not have this coverage then your insurance agent is the best place to start as far as getting coverage for the trip.

Good Luck!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #207
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
Disclaimer: All my comments are my own understanding/experience. Check with the state laws/regulations that pertain to you.

I'm unclear as to whether or not you are a VT resident. You will be required to register the bus in the state in which you are a resident / where the bus is kept within a certain period of time. To drive it home, you do not have to have it registered. For WI you have to title/register your new vehicle within 2 business days.
You will most likely not be able to insure your bus as an RV as it will come up in their system as a school bus (eventually... you could insure, it but they will likely kick you off in a month, and if you got into an accident they may not cover you anyway). You may be able to register it commercially as a non-passenger bus as I did. You can call Progressive and see if they will cover the bus temporarily under your current insurance (I highly doubt it). BTW, I recommend NOT saying that it is a school bus, insurance companies usually shut the door when they hear "school" bus. I believe it is written in their terms of service somewhere.

Progressive: "A class A non-professional bus conversion has the following characteristics:
Motor home facilities built into a Class A type bus shell, but does not include changes made to school buses or public transit buses, as these vehicles are unacceptable.
Conversion is performed by the owner of the vehicle."
Case and point. The legality of school bus conversions is very confusing.

The other concern you should be aware of is the legality of driving the bus. Generally, you have to have a passenger bus CDL license to drive a school bus (based on seating capacity).

You also mentioned in another thread you wanted to live in it while working on it. There are legality issues regarding that as well but I won't get into that.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a skoolie, just make sure you are aware of the risks. I drove my bus home without insurance (I thought my insurance would temporarily cover it, and asked later. It would not) or a CDL.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #208

National general

I'm thinking about getting insurance with national general does anyone have info on this company? Good idea or bad idea?
BigBird<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #209
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Generally speaking there are insurance agencies that will sell you a policy, only to cancel it weeks later. Still, there are exceptions. Most of us have the Progressive commercial policy.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #210

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: DT466
to summarize....

I have read every post of this thread. Please let me know if I actually got it all straight, or correct me where I am wrong.

But first, my specifics:
I live in NC. I am going to buy an older school bus (early 90s) from out of state, most likely. The school bus will have all the seats when purchased, and it will probably be 40' long. My bf and I aim to convert it over the next 6 months, and then hit the road and live full time in it. We want liability insurance, not comprehensive.

Based on the other posts, it seems like I need to get a Progressive Commercial policy to drive the bus home. I should expect that they will eventually cancel the policy and even if they don't cancel it, I will still need to eventually get RV insurance once I can get the bus converted and registered as an RV since Progressive would deny any claims once it is converted?
Lizbitz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #211
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbitz67 View Post
I have read every post of this thread. Please let me know if I actually got it all straight, or correct me where I am wrong.

But first, my specifics:
I live in NC. I am going to buy an older school bus (early 90s) from out of state, most likely. The school bus will have all the seats when purchased, and it will probably be 40' long. My bf and I aim to convert it over the next 6 months, and then hit the road and live full time in it. We want liability insurance, not comprehensive.

Based on the other posts, it seems like I need to get a Progressive Commercial policy to drive the bus home. I should expect that they will eventually cancel the policy and even if they don't cancel it, I will still need to eventually get RV insurance once I can get the bus converted and registered as an RV since Progressive would deny any claims once it is converted?
Lizbitz,

I would suggest that you contact your current insurance carrier and ask some questions.

For many of us, our existing auto policies automatically extend to new purchases. I have leveraged this for 3 bus purchases. That got me 15 days to drive it home & pull the seats. Then I was able to get permanent coverage through State Farm.

Best of luck on your quest!!

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #212
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbitz67 View Post

But first, my specifics:

GO THROUGH A LOCAL AGENT!!!!! you won't be cancelled if you AVOID the online application and go to a local agent.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #213
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
GO THROUGH A LOCAL AGENT!!!!! you won't be cancelled if you AVOID the online application and go to a local agent.
And use this site- Trusted Choice to find one, if you don't have one already.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #214
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71
I have had National General (Good Sam) for 8 years. When I called, I told them it was a school bus - no problems. Called back and changed it to a MH when I was approved with a State Patrol inspection, and official title change - no problem. About $25/ mo.
I currently own 3 busses (2 MH titles, 1 bus title) They even let me swap which bus is currently covered under the policy, as 2 of the 3 usually sit and are not used.

I continually read about all the insurance woes, but for me, it was a very simple process (once I found American General / Good Sam)

If you go online, Good Sam even has a category under their roadside assistance policies specifically for Skoolies!
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #215
Bus Nut

I added my suv onto my policy with National Geeral when i got the bus insured. My suv was with geico. Had ticket 3 yrs ago . I am getting raped at$192.13 a month. Twice they never called back as they said they would. i complained and got the policy. NO! Towing and other things as well. Dominique stuck it to me because i complained about him. On June 6,2017 i will be a safe driver again and will go else where.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #216
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCummins View Post
If you go online, Good Sam even has a category under their roadside assistance policies specifically for Skoolies!
I just checked and couldn't find it, could you share a link please? That sounds SO COOL! Specifically for Skoolies???

Lizbitz67:
I have also just finished reading this entire thread, Ha, we were reading it at the same time..

I have Progressive right now on my van, but my local agent might not be helpful.... Or I mean to say, give some fight to help me out with insuring my skoolie when I buy it. I don't know, have yet to talk to her. Thinking about waiting and going to the DMV for a permit to drive it before I go to my agent to check, permit in hand, hopefully helpfully.

Then based on everything else I've read about, I'll look into insurance as an RV after conversion and registering with the state as an RV, (I should be able to meet the 4 of 6 Illinois requirements), with Good Sam, National General, or Nationwide. If they can't help me, might try AIS. Anyone tried them?

Also other local agencies in this area like State Farm might actually possibly be amenable to something like this. There's a guy in town with an apparently legal car that's like a little racecar with an open body. It's illegal to drive 4 wheelers/ATV's on the roads, but EVERYONE who has one in this town does it, no one cares, it's cool, it's just how things are here... lol So there's a chance they'll be potentially lenient. Or mb not. I'm very much a modern hippie lady to the new eye.

So, is that a decent assessment of the process I can expect to take on registering and insuring and driving legally?
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #217
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Where are you located?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #218
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
I just checked and couldn't find it, could you share a link please? That sounds SO COOL! Specifically for Skoolies???

Lizbitz67:
I have also just finished reading this entire thread, Ha, we were reading it at the same time..

I have Progressive right now on my van, but my local agent might not be helpful.... Or I mean to say, give some fight to help me out with insuring my skoolie when I buy it. I don't know, have yet to talk to her. Thinking about waiting and going to the DMV for a permit to drive it before I go to my agent to check, permit in hand, hopefully helpfully.

Then based on everything else I've read about, I'll look into insurance as an RV after conversion and registering with the state as an RV, (I should be able to meet the 4 of 6 Illinois requirements), with Good Sam, National General, or Nationwide. If they can't help me, might try AIS. Anyone tried them?

Also other local agencies in this area like State Farm might actually possibly be amenable to something like this. There's a guy in town with an apparently legal car that's like a little racecar with an open body. It's illegal to drive 4 wheelers/ATV's on the roads, but EVERYONE who has one in this town does it, no one cares, it's cool, it's just how things are here... lol So there's a chance they'll be potentially lenient. Or mb not. I'm very much a modern hippie lady to the new eye.

So, is that a decent assessment of the process I can expect to take on registering and insuring and driving legally?
https://www.goodsamroadside.com/rv/ra/enroll/

(to be clear, you need to be re-titled as an RV)

In the 'RV Type' choose 'bus conversion' I have a Blue Bird, when I got to the 'model' option, it did not give me the option for TC2000, so I left it blank and was able to proceed.
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #219
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCummins View Post
https://www.goodsamroadside.com/rv/ra/enroll/

(to be clear, you need to be re-titled as an RV)

In the 'RV Type' choose 'bus conversion' I have a Blue Bird, when I got to the 'model' option, it did not give me the option for TC2000, so I left it blank and was able to proceed.
Thank you!!!

That's so awesome! Got the link saved! And I'm in Southern Illinois!
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #220
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I just went to Good Sam and signed up for a year. It's on sale. $114 for newbs only for the platinum coverage. I'm not licensed as an RV due to state insurance restrictions. This is a bluebird so I logged it as a Wanderlodge, which is actually 4' longer than my bus. They don't even ask for any vehicle information.

Anyway, it's on sale for four more days. The Platinum level covers trailers, motorcycles or anything you can put with a motorhome/conversion.