Mini-Skoolie

You know what **** this **** sell the dam f-ing bus
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #122
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
All most of us want to do is pull out the seats and make a comfortable place to camp.

The parts that make the bus start, stop and go down the road are still the same as it was when that same government said it was safe enough to carry my kids around.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #123
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah well I've made mine a nice house on wheels
And now I can't even get a commercial policy for it
Because it was converted . I rushed the conversion to get the cheaper r v Insurance
Go figure why does no one cover these buses
I'm sick of it and wasted a lot of money
Old 06-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #124
Mini-Skoolie

Any body want to buy an un insurable bus
Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #125
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short bus dweller View Post
Any body want to buy an un insurable bus

pictures and a price would help
Old 08-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #126

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevrolete
Engine: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I had gotten Progressive through Good Sam and after 2 weeks, I got a cancellation notification in the mail based on an "invalid body style". From what I've seen on the board, they're pretty much kicking their school bus conversions...under the bus
We almost got insured online through progressive but when i clicked the BUY button, safari wouldn't load the page. to make sure i didn't get charged more than once and to see if it went through, i called them. speaking to the person directly, she asked if it used to be a school or transit bus. I said yes, it was a school bus and now it is an RV (bus conversion). She said examples of school bus and transit busses are Thomas Built and Blue Bird (we have a blue bird) and it is listed as not acceptable vehicle for policy. I asked how others were able to purchase progressive insurance when they have done the exact same thing we have and she said "they probably flew under the radar and if they are inspected, their insurance will get dropped." Having a lot of trouble getting insured here in KY.
bluemooncircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #127
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
All most of us want to do is pull out the seats and make a comfortable place to camp.

The parts that make the bus start, stop and go down the road are still the same as it was when that same government said it was safe enough to carry my kids around.
Yeah, safe enough to take a hit in the side from a U-Haul truck, resulting in two bus passengers having minor injuries (ten plus the driver not hurt). Here's the U-Haul:

I found no picture of the bus via Google; however I remember the wreck and the bus remained usable. Probably the kids wouldn't have been "treated and released" if they had been in a minivan instead. And if a U-Haul hit an old RV, you could use a second U-Haul to haul away the pieces of RV.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Check out this story from Consumer Reports on auto insurance. Also have a good laugh at Flo's expense (the magazine's front cover).

The Truth About Car Insurance: Readers React - Consumer Reports
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #129

I just got insurance yesterday on my 1991 36 foot International. Got it through National General (Good Sam) it was 209.00 a year, liability only and they needed to see photos. But the photos I had were pretty bad, just bought it today and it is only half converted, and what is done is pretty funky, and they got me squared away within a day. It was even cheaper for my other car so I switched that car too. This guy was fantastic. Here is his contact info.

Nick Davy
Licensed Insurance Agent
Phone: (314)-493-8743
Portland, Oregon
daphnetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #130
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AmTran/Genesis FE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466 mechanical
Rated Cap: 77 pass.
Haven't gone through it yet, but here in God's country, MN, we can get insurance through what's called the Minnesota state fair plan.
Basically you need to find an agent that will take the time to go through all the paper work to apply, have your photos, meet all the requirements as an RV, and wait. The law in MN allows for any vehicle to be insured, but it is looked at as a High Risk I think. The insurance guy I found said it will probably cost me $100 just for him to do the paper work, He did add that liability is usually quite low.
Night Roller is offline   Reply With Quote