Old 10-04-2015, 03:12 AM   #131
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I got insured through Progressive, but I actually called USAA, and then they forwarded me to a Progressive agent.

I would imagine you might be able to get someone from The Escapees RV/Motorhome club to help you out if you are/become a member.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #132

Insurance

My wife and I just bought a 1980 Blue Bird and plan on converting it, does anyone know the technical terms used to request insurance during the conversion? As well as what the insurance type might be once it's converted? Any help is great. We are new to this world but look so foward to being a part of it.
bar7fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I had USAA/Progressive RV insurance. I got cancelled in less than a month. Progressive doesn't insure converted school bus RVs and USAA does not insure commercial vehicles.

After I got cancelled I got a commercial policy through progressive. I'll switch to an RV policy when i'm done converting.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #134

Thanks for the heads up
bar7fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #135
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: me
Engine: Cat 3126
If this post is to political, please feel free to delete it

We are getting cancelled by PROGRESSIVE on our Converted Bus. Long story short they don't want to because what it is... I am only trying to get Liability here... I will call around and Im not to concerned cause I "should" be able to find coverage but here is my question to y'all
Is it right the government to REQUIRE BY LAW a PRODUCT that DOES NOT have to be sold to you by the PRIVATE FOR PROFIT insurance company? Even if, your vehicle is 100% Street legal (which mine IS) Every insurance company has the RIGHT to deny you and you are left unable to drive your vehicle. And then if you can not get the PRODUCT and get caught driving without, you can get fined then ultimately jailed.. not saying I will do this but wow...
mdl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #136
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Can one of the mods change the title of this thread to "PROGRESSIVE WON'T COVER CONVERTED SCHOOL BUSES SO DON'T BOTHER" and make it a sticky?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #137
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1700
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Rated Cap: 27 (adults)
Progressive will only insure coach style buses. The only company his national general, choose your words carefully but never lie to them and you will get liability insurance no problem it took me two tries with different sets of pictures
Famousinternetjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I had my insurance before I had my bus. Which was good, because I picked it up in Maine and drove it back to NJ with it. Not something I recommend- marathon 9-ish hour drive, 4 hours of sleep, 11-ish hours back to South NJ.
I bought mine in Columbus, Ohio and drove it to near Galveston, TX. I had liability but no tags or CDL. I puckered at every weigh station along the way but the Police must have had better things to do. I made it home and registered it as a Motor Home, so now I can drive it like a car!
I caught a two hour nap north of Nashville, and two hours near Baton Rouge.
Bacliff Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #139
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1700
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Rated Cap: 27 (adults)
Contact an independent insurance broker, and have them apply with national general, I just did this in the last four months and got liability for 200 bucks and change a year! This is really your best bet, and you should have zero problems, there is a way, as long as your not in someplace like NJ where hey have too many rules. There is also the national risk pool, which is basically a legal measure in place to make insurance available to everyone. An insurance broker can explain it to you, but basically if you go that route somebody has no choice but to underwrite you for liability. Seriously this is the only and best way to get insured everything else is just gonna leave you frustrated and sad
Famousinternetjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #140

Year: 2001
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20
I have been around the block and back all day yesterday and most of today trying to get insurance on what "should" be a 2001 Chevy Express G3500. I've been told no on everything from gross vehicle weight could be over 10k lbs to the underwriters are cautious because this could be a "party bus" to if it has bus doors instead of the passenger door, then they cannot insure it to the conversion has to be done "professionally". I'm currently waiting on a call back from MBA to see if they can help. I only have been asking for temp liability only until the conversion is done and I can have it re-titled as an RV . Ugh, what a mess.
mowracer is offline   Reply With Quote