Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #221
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCummins View Post
I have had National General (Good Sam) for 8 years. When I called, I told them it was a school bus - no problems. Called back and changed it to a MH when I was approved with a State Patrol inspection, and official title change - no problem. About $25/ mo.
I currently own 3 busses (2 MH titles, 1 bus title) They even let me swap which bus is currently covered under the policy, as 2 of the 3 usually sit and are not used.

I continually read about all the insurance woes, but for me, it was a very simple process (once I found American General / Good Sam)

If you go online, Good Sam even has a category under their roadside assistance policies specifically for Skoolies!
Just as a reminder, every state is different when it comes to insurance underwriters. I contacted Good Sam, they got me an insurance policy with Progressive RV, who's allowed to underwrite here in New Jersey. When Progressive dropped me, I contacted Good Sam to see if they had another authorized provider for NJ, to which they did not.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #222
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sometimes its even at the county / garaged address level too.. its all a risk facxtor to them, if the risk factor reaches a threshold they dont write a policy... and that includes you in that risk factor too... while driving records info cant be pulled for more than a few years back, insurance claims CAN for *ALL* types of claims other than health (hippa laws apply)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sometimes its even at the county / garaged address level too.. its all a risk facxtor to them, if the risk factor reaches a threshold they dont write a policy... and that includes you in that risk factor too... while driving records info cant be pulled for more than a few years back, insurance claims CAN for *ALL* types of claims other than health (hippa laws apply)..

-Christopher

Howdy, new to the forum but I've researched a bunch. I was denied coverage by National General ( first thru good Sam and then through AIS) the reason was not the bus but me. They said I was to high profile a person to insure. (Famous) I feel discriminated against, kinda weird. I have insurance through farmers on several other vehicles. They won't insure my bus either. Have you ever heard of that happening to a skoolie ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dougmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #224
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive never heard of high profile being assessed in risk.. but insurance companies use many formulas to asses the risk of an individual.. as youve seen from reading these forums, insurance is touch and go person by person.. for instance the policies on my 2 busses are in effect from progressive commercial, but others with similar setups are denied or cancelled.. the person's risk factor plays a part as well as the vehicle.. RV insurers dont like to insure skooliesi n progress.. though some get them.. you can try CALLING progressive COMMERCIAL (dont go online!!!!!). and dont call consumer.. and see if they will insure your bus.. its a BUS for personal use.. Not a camper!!, once you have the conversion complete then often one of the RV insurers will insure you.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #225
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmoreland View Post
Howdy, new to the forum but I've researched a bunch. I was denied coverage by National General ( first thru good Sam and then through AIS) the reason was not the bus but me. They said I was to high profile a person to insure. (Famous) I feel discriminated against, kinda weird. I have insurance through farmers on several other vehicles. They won't insure my bus either. Have you ever heard of that happening to a skoolie ?
Not to get personal but if you're 19 yrs old, single, and 3 DUIs you're screwed. Normal tickets are dropped from your record for auto insurance after 3 yrs. I dunno if these guys look further than that or not. I don't think they do since they only found my 2 recent tickets. Apparently 48, divorced, and ignoring signage and a speeding ticket isn't the way to go either since I seem to be paying more than anyone else that has offered to say what they are paying.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #226

Quote:
ive never heard of high profile being assessed in risk.. but insurance companies use many formulas to asses the risk of an individual.. as youve seen from reading these forums, insurance is touch and go person by person.. for instance the policies on my 2 busses are in effect from progressive commercial, but others with similar setups are denied or cancelled.. the person's risk factor plays a part as well as the vehicle.. RV insurers dont like to insure skooliesi n progress.. though some get them.. you can try CALLING progressive COMMERCIAL (dont go online!!!!!). and dont call consumer.. and see if they will insure your bus.. its a BUS for personal use.. Not a camper!!, once you have the conversion complete then often one of the RV insurers will insure you.
-Christopher

Thanks. I'll try that. National General googled me and said my profession was high risk. Oof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dougmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #227
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmoreland View Post
said my profession was high risk. Oof.
What the hell?!!? You're a crash test dummy? It's none of their damn business what you do for a living. Taxi, truck, city bus driver should be the only thing that matters and that would help not hurt.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #228

Quote:
-Christopher
This does not work in Michigan.
BVicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #229
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I got an Allstate policy. It's 770.00 a year but it's FULL COVERAGE. 250 deductible for towing. It's gonna be 250 for a big wrecker to show up and hook up. Ask you insurance agent to check out Allstate. I re-titled the bus at the title bureau from a school bus to motor home. I got motor home plates. I went to my insurance agent and told her I needed to insure a motor home that is a school bus conversion. All she needed to do per Allstate is come take a few pics of the bus to ensure there are no seats in it still and that it's actually converted. It was a very easy process and I'm all ready to hit the road. AIS is a PITA and Good Sam isn't much better. Allstate is worth the extra money for piece of mind. People need to stop trying with Progressive. It specifically says on their website "NO SCHOOL BUS CONVERSIONS." And if you get a commercial policy and they send a representative out and see that you have a conversion, they can deny your claim. Don't risk it. Most of the other majors won't insure a conversion either. Put the burden on your insurance agent. You pay their salary so make them do some legwork.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote