Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Progressive has online bus conversion options

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant
There's, as I see it, three ways to go about it: One by a coach/bus already titled as an RV/Motorhome/House Car. Two get it insured and then get it titled. Get it titled as an RV and then get it insured. Simple Yeah?

Never Mention the word Bus: Never mention the word bus. Never mention the word bus. The Rout I take is to always insure first and insure, in my case, as a house car: OK How? I'm not saying mine is the only way, but this is the way it has worked for me: If it's an International Bus, then it's an International Motor Coach. I have used Farmers. Yes it's expensive up front, typically about 238 bucks: I do have to provide photo's. However, let's get real. How difficult is it to glean photo's of interiors of RV's? Pretty simple. I've done it. Once insured I go to my Local DMV I take the Bus, because I have to in this instance, as it had never been titled or registered in the State. Seats Stripped out, some carpet thrown down, a couch and a dresser. I was in and out in 20 minutes with New title as a house car. This is not hypothetical: I have done this three times:

All I can surmise is both authorities, either the DMV or the Insurer, are willing to accept what the other determines. I believe walking into the DMV with papers insuring my vehicle as a motorhome carries a lot of weight with the DMV. They don't know if it was a home and I'm stripping it, All they know is it isn't seated like a bus and it has been insured. Prior to four months, I notify Farmers of my cancellation and then shop for insurance for a vehicle formerly insured as a House Car, currently titled as a house Car: And the I just insure it with the company I insure my car with.

Also, i might add, that if you have house and car insurance already, through a local subsidiary or broker, these vehicles can be added for a nominal fee, and usually with little hassle at all, if you have any kind of relationship whatsoever with your local insurance agent...........

You're making it sound easier than it is. I had to go to 5 different DMVs before it got signed off.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Any and all info regarding getting insured/titled/tagged needs to start out with where the state is that it happened in. Otherwise it is useless info. Not difficult. Just start the post with the two letter postal abbreviation. For New Mexico (which is still in the US and you don't need a passport to enter the Land of Entrapment), I would start a post like this....

NM: This is the email I got from the NM DMV/MVD on titling a skoolie conversion from private bus to motorhome...

For LOCAL DMV it would be helpful if the actual location of the DMV was included. This would be beneficial to skoolie owners that may live nearby if they are having problems with their local DMV. Then they could go to the easier DMV.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54

Where I live in Canada, we have "public insurance" wich is where the one vehicle insurance company is owned by the government. Anyway, why not insure your non fully converted bus as a truck? From what I understand it is only a bus if it seats more then 10 passengers. Yes, it might take some explaining but who cares, you can legally drive you bus/truck. Another option is to get a move permit, you just apply with the insurance company and it's like $50 for the day (you don't even need a safety!) and you can haul your bus wherever.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh2901
I am getting ready to purchase a crown and want all the ducks in a row. Progressive will insure on their website. You select RV, then Other and they have an option for professional conversion or non professional conversion. I selected less than 30 days a year of actual use and the basic was 210 a month and the plus was 387. I have to research the what their plus is and decide on AAA RV or what for motor club/prepaid disaster towing. Done! I did not purchase the policy but I know I can do it on the spot wit a cell phone when doing to pick up.
Thank you for this info, we were at a dead end for ins. but this saved the day! Hopefully they'll keep us!!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Between here and the FB page heard of many getting cancelled. So don't be shocked. Don't mean to be debbie downer but if you got it insured and its up and going…. keep it paid and current.

Good luck.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Between here and the FB page heard of many getting cancelled...
I suspect there is multiple postings from a single poster as well. So it looks like more. It would be helpful if the ones who got Progressive, et al, would post if/when the drop occurs.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Whats funny is after reading this post I went to the website and put in the info to sign up with my bus as a school bus conversion and it said they would not insure it. So there is a hole in there somewhere. On a lighter note I did the same thing on their commercial side and put it as a non cargo/personal use bus and it gave me a quote of 439 a year, which I think is outrageous but it does mean I can get it insured to move it from place to place if needed?

I will go and fill out the bus conversion application again and take some screen shots.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I just got my cancellation notice from Prog.... 2 weeks and gone. EDIT for correction of date...ONE week!

Now Tuesday I did change the title from SB to motorhome coach so I went back online and bought a policy for a Cl A MH and so far so good. I listed it as a Bluebird model 27A.

Time will tell.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #29
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond
I just got my cancellation notice from Prog.... 2 weeks and gone.

Now Tuesday I did change the title from SB to motorhome coach so I went back online and bought a policy for a Cl A MH and so far so good. I listed it as a Bluebird model 27A.

Time will tell.
how did they reimburse you after cancellation?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal
Quote:

Time will tell.
They say they owe me and will credit my CC. All but $6 for the 2 weeks ins.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal
Quote:

Time will tell.
They say they owe me and will credit my CC. All but $6 for the 2 weeks ins.
have you recieved credit yet?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
have you recieved credit yet?
Got it today..
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #33
Site Team

was curious, on my motorcycle insurance, progressive sent a letter saying they would cancel but to this day, the policy is still in effect. it even shows when i log into my account online.

they (progressive) are screwing alot of people up with the dmv. as soon as they send cancellation notice to the state, the state puts a flag on your license and the fine to remove the flag is $225!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #34
Bus Nut

We really need to have people give more info on this. I know a lot of people are saying they are having issues getting insured but how what where and why they are doing this isn't really being put on here. I think the biggest factor is where you are in your bus conversion… i.e. fully converted…. not converted… or partial converted. People who are fully converted should have little to no problems with getting insured by a company that does converted school buses.

So additional info would help those whom are struggling that are in the partial to non converted category.

I performed this experiment on progressives website, which I believe that someone here just got through doing. Here are screen shots of that action.

Input of my information

the results of that info

I did go over to the commercial side and put in that info and selected that I was a non load carrying bus for pleasure use. It was a little high but it is still an option versus no insurance at all.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

Yes the commercial side may be ones only help.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Cancelled by Progressive again.

The title now shows motorhome coach, yet they cancelled because "It's a converted school bus".
Just re applied through the commercial side. Pro conv.

EDIT; I just noticed I made an error on the VIN for my coach. No wonder I got cancelled. Emailed a correction to Flo and Co.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cmmins
Rated Cap: 71

I had progressive for about a month, then they said they don't insure converted school buses. so i called the agent that sold me insurance she said she would contact progressive,they told he was school bus. i told her title says motor home. had to send pictures and copy of title. 2 days later she call told me progressive doesn't insure anything that was a school bus. i would have to use progressive commercial insurance. talked to commercial department, the said they don't insure motor homes. needless to say canceled.
go00nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #38
Bus Nut

reading this really makes me mad. Hate to see people being cancelled.

I guess i really need to get my conversion finished. I am insured with my auto with National General. So I am hoping this falls in to place and works out.

If not I guess I will have to do the commercial thing.

Not sure they will like it but I guess I could make the down payment and use it for the weekend or when ever i was going to use it and then cancel?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
reading this really makes me mad. Hate to see people being cancelled.

I guess i really need to get my conversion finished. I am insured with my auto with National General. So I am hoping this falls in to place and works out.

If not I guess I will have to do the commercial thing.

Not sure they will like it but I guess I could make the down payment and use it for the weekend or when ever i was going to use it and then cancel?
If this happens very much, they'll just start making us bus owners and conversion owners buy six months or even a year at a time.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Even if they do…. if you cancel they have to refund the portion you don't use.