Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
GOT COVERAGE THROUGH PROGRESSIVE

I have two Crowns. Both were insured through National General (Good Sam). I got a cancellation notice effective May 1 because National General changed their policy on school bus conversions. They will not insure a bus that has not been converted into a motor home. Once converted they will insure if you provide them pictures and underwriting approves it.

One Crown has been converted. However, since the other non-converted Crown was also on the policy they cancelled them both. When I called they said the 1988 Crown could be reissued a policy if I provided them with pictures of the conversion. The 1986 Crown tandem could not under any circumstances be covered since it was not yet an RV. I asked how I was supposed to get insurance in the interim and they suggested their commercial division. I talked with the commercial group at National General and they said that their division had also just changed their policy and will no longer cover non-converted former buses, period, end of story, no exceptions.

I called Farmers, my personal auto insurance company and they also refused to cover my Crowns.

Based on earlier posts on this thread I then called Progressive. I got full coverage for the 1988 Crown that has been converted ($500 deductible on comp/collision) and $500,000 liability coverage. Even the uninsured protection was $500,000. It will be covered as an RV and it will cost me $700 per year. The 1986 tandem Crown was covered by their commercial division. They would also offer full coverage. However, since the bus is going to be in a garage getting converted, I saw no need for full coverage yet. I got $500,000 in liability coverage for $609 per year. Once it is converted to a motor home, I will go for full coverage on it through Progressive. They were easy to deal with. I am paying more for the 1986 Crown than I wanted. However, as a commercial policy I think it is reasonable. Once it is converted, then it will move to the RV division and I will get the same reasonable pricing for full coverage.

I know some probably think I have gone overboard with my liability level. However, Crowns are really big and really heavy. If I hit something, the other party will almost certainly get the worst of it. I want to have lots of protection. Plus, my umbrella personal liability insurance requires that my auto policies have $500,000 coverage.

I was feeling so lucky to have National General coverage after all the horror stories on this thread. Then boom, I became part of that horror story. Progressive was easy to deal with, even when I was upfront and clear about my two Crowns. They did not even hesitate and immediately offered coverage. They have a new fan in me. I intend to move my personal auto policies to them. Farmers was totally unhelpful and waited until two days before my National General coverage was lapsing to tell me they would not cover me. Been with them for over 30 years. They will be losing me as a customer.

I am in California. So, I don't know if Progressive will be this understanding in every state. However, if you can get Progressive, you probably will not get jerked around. By the way, I called their 800 number and talked directly with corporate. I did not go through a local Progressive agent.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
I called Farmers, my personal auto insurance company and they also refused to cover my Crowns.
Farmers, at least here in NJ, uses Foremost for their RV insurance. And they'll cover a bus conversion- so long as its a professional conversion. How do I know this? I spoke to both Foremost directly (my cousin's an independent insurance agent) and the local Farmers office.

You may have gotten lucky with the one on Progressive RV
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
I am in California. So, I don't know if Progressive will be this understanding in every state. However, if you can get Progressive, you probably will not get jerked around. By the way, I called their 800 number and talked directly with corporate. I did not go through a local Progressive agent.
Hmm. I tried a local independent agent (referred to by of all folks, my bus's former owner*) and they couldn't get anyone they tried to write me a policy. According to their website, Progressive is one of the companies they use. Maybe my problem is that I'm not in California the agt. said the wrong thing, or, the agt. didn't say the right thing.

*Former owner was a d/b/a operating the rig as a party bus.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I live in North Carolina and insurance was no problem with nationwide? We are registered and insured as a medium duty bus (40-passenger) and no special driver's license until I break 26,001 pound's. insurance 12$ a month registration 30$ a year and the only new thing that I had to start doing last year was DOT inspection 55$ a year and they can be picky but as long as I address the concern's from the previous inspection (reported) they just bring the new concern or issue to my attention. I hope it is not that tough in TEXAS my wife and I have been trying to go HOME for quite a few year's and the bus/rv is to give us somewhere to live while we find the land we want and live in while we build our own house. Please keep me posted on your adventure's in texas with this so that I can prepare? We get closer to making the move every year?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #85
Skoolie

Progressive seems to segment their risk market on a state-by-state basis. It has less to do with laws / regulations / insurance requirements in the state, and more to do with whether or not the company thinks it is profitable to insurance against a specific type of risk. This is important to know when looking for insurance coverage for something that differs from a car / regular RV.

My advice to anyone looking for insurance on their skoolie is to do some prep-work before speaking with the insurance agent. If you have a good relationship with your insurance agent, they will be more likely to go to bat on your behalf if the company they represent doesn't insure school bus conversions on a frequent basis. Make sure you understand your state's definition of an "rv" versus a "conversion".... and the difference in definitions between different insurance companies.

As a previous insurance rep for State Farm, I can tell you that our agency insured a handful of skoolies, but other agencies were hesitant to do so. If your agent can explain to their underwriter what you are trying to achieve, you're already one step ahead. I think many insurance companies will insure skoolies if the subject is approached correctly!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #86
Bus Nut

As of now in n.c. We have to register as a bus until I meet the requirement's of the DMV to register as an rv. A way to store food a way to cook food a way to clean up and properly dispose of the food a working water and acceptable septic for the amount of occupant's and a few other minor thing's but if they want to increase my insurance because I re-register as an rv then I will remain a bus?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #87
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Great news b/c we got insurance with progressive through an independent agent but it is commercial (not a problem) and I am paying $1400 a year (PROBLEM!). I kind of didn't care at the time b/c I needed it so we could drive the bus from AZ to TX, but now we were able to get it inspected as a Motor Home (it is bare metal inside) but when we went to get it registered at the DMV they said it had to have a bed and a kitchen, but registered it as a truck for us. I am wondering if I can't get a lower rate now until I fully convert it, bc basically it is a truck according to TX. What do yall think? I don't want to open my mouth and screw myself you know? I just feel $1400 is ridiculous for just liability.

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I'd start calling around & get prices for a "truck" if a truck is all the DMV says it is then cancel your existing policy.

What does the title call it?
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #89
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Quote:

I have two Crowns. Both were insured through National General (Good Sam). I got a cancellation notice effective May 1 because National General changed their policy on school bus conversions. They will not insure a bus that has not been converted into a motor home. Once converted they will insure if you provide them pictures and underwriting approves it.

One Crown has been converted. However, since the other non-converted Crown was also on the policy they cancelled them both. When I called they said the 1988 Crown could be reissued a policy if I provided them with pictures of the conversion. The 1986 Crown tandem could not under any circumstances be covered since it was not yet an RV. I asked how I was supposed to get insurance in the interim and they suggested their commercial division. I talked with the commercial group at National General and they said that their division had also just changed their policy and will no longer cover non-converted former buses, period, end of story, no exceptions.

Based on earlier posts on this thread I then called Progressive. I got full coverage for the 1988 Crown that has been converted ($500 deductible on comp/collision) and $500,000 liability coverage. Even the uninsured protection was $500,000. It will be covered as an RV and it will cost me $700 per year. The 1986 tandem Crown was covered by their commercial division. They would also offer full coverage. However, since the bus is going to be in a garage getting converted, I saw no need for full coverage yet. I got $500,000 in liability coverage for $609 per year. Once it is converted to a motor home, I will go for full coverage on it through Progressive. They were easy to deal with. I am paying more for the 1986 Crown than I wanted. However, as a commercial policy I think it is reasonable. Once it is converted, then it will move to the RV division and I will get the same reasonable pricing for full coverage.

I know some probably think I have gone overboard with my liability level. However, Crowns are really big and really heavy. If I hit something, the other party will almost certainly get the worst of it. I want to have lots of protection. Plus, my umbrella personal liability insurance requires that my auto policies have $500,000 coverage.

I was feeling so lucky to have National General coverage after all the horror stories on this thread. Then boom, I became part of that horror story. Progressive was easy to deal with, even when I was upfront and clear about my two Crowns. They did not even hesitate and immediately offered coverage. They have a new fan in me. I intend to move my personal auto policies to them. Farmers was totally unhelpful and waited until two days before my National General coverage was lapsing to tell me they would not cover me. Been with them for over 30 years. They will be losing me as a customer.

Hey gmarvel, did you have any other vehicles in that policy or just the two buses, I'm in California and have my bus insured with national general, they made me transfer all my vehicles to that policy in order to give me a policy for the bus.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #90
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
As of now in n.c. We have to register as a bus until I meet the requirement's of the DMV to register as an rv. A way to store food a way to cook food a way to clean up and properly dispose of the food a working water and acceptable septic for the amount of occupant's and a few other minor thing's but if they want to increase my insurance because I re-register as an rv then I will remain a bus?
This brings up an important point that many people miss when they insure their skoolies. First and foremost, the point of insurance is to provide liability if ever an accident / damage is the owner's fault. But let's step beyond that for a minute. Let's think about you as the property owner. The reason insurance underwriters do not want to insure a skoolie as a "bus" is because their definition of a "bus" is exactly what you bought prior to your conversion. The cost to replace a school bus is much less than a vehicle with an interior, a bathroom, a kitchen, etc.

No one wants to pay an arm and a leg for insurance, but let's be honest here, folks: the replacement cost for your skoolie will exceed the replacement cost of your standard school bus. If you want a lower premium for your insurance, and you assert that your skoolie is nothing more than a school bus, you're probably going to be holding the short end of the stick if ever something happens.

Bottom line: It's important to understand that the insurance companies' definitions of "school bus" and "RV". For them, it has less to do with DOT standards, weight, etc. and more to do with what it would cost to give you exactly what you had at the time the loss occurred. If you're intent on having cheap insurance, you should also be okay with the insurance company giving you a much less settlement if you ever experience a loss.

- Sara R.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Good article Sara...I'm in Georgia and have insurance thru National also. Liability only, no comp/collision. I understand totally what you said and with that said, we have (intentionally) gotten 100K/300K for liability because we feel that if we were to cause an accident it would only be right for us to come up with as much money as we can afford for medical. Having more than the required 5K/10K helped considerably when I was hit by an uninsured driver a long time ago.

I honestly feel that a skoolie the size of ours will most definitely cause some issues with the person we may run into and seriously wish we were in a position to dish out a little more for a larger amount.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
I have the Crown tandem that is not yet converted under a commercial policy. The commercial division never even asked me about other vehicles and insured me right away. Again, I was talking directly with corporate. The other bus was insured as an RV with full coverage. This was through their "normal" auto and RV division. They also did not require that I insure the other vehicles. I have a suburban, a porsche, and two VW beetles with Farmers. When they are up I intend to seriously move my book of business to Progressive as they were quick and helpful. I got nothing from Farmers except a final rejection a couple of days before my National General policy was cancelling. It took them two weeks to get back to me.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Thank you Sara! I think most of us thank about the cheapest insurance so we have more to spend on our dreams of what our skoolie is going to be? My edumecated wife thought about that when we first bought the bus and that is why I know my states requirement's for an RV but I never thought about it insurance wise?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
I just switched my insurance from National General to Progressive. I got NatGen insurance when I bought the bus in September 2013 and paid $1,400 / year for MD minimum liability with them. This was largely because I was 19, male, and had a speeding ticket and "unlawful use of license" ticket (caught driving after under 18 driver curfew).

Just on a whim (well, after making another monthly payment of $106 for my bus to sit, insured, in the driveway) I went to Progressive's site and saw they had an automated quote option for NON-Professional bus conversion under Motorhome insurance. I put in an estimated value of $15,000. It did not specify that it could not be a school bus. So I went through with it, put in my info, and picked the BEST coverage I could, and it is $698 per year. HUGE difference, less than half as much for better coverage. I attribute it to me being older, having no accidents in my documented history (or history ever!) and the tickets I got in 2011 were obsoleted due to them being over 3 years old.

I submitted this and paid the first month, submitted a week ago so I figure a real person has had time to look it over and they haven't rejected coverage yet, so that is a good sign that it is a real deal. Huge amount of money saved and I feel a lot safer if an accident happens!
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #95
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Has progressive changed their policy?
I don't think they have-
https://www.progressive.com/rv/bus-c...ssa-insurance/

Quote:
A class A non-professional bus conversion has the following characteristics:
Motor home facilities built into a Class A type bus shell, but does not include changes made to school buses or public transit buses, as these vehicles are unacceptable.
Conversion is performed by the owner of the vehicle.
Keep your fingers crossed but don't be surprised if you get a cancellation notice in a month or two. Best of luck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Ha you're right. It didn't say that when I was signing up for it (or I didn't read it). Can't wait for that cancellation notice!
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hey MAYBE you'll get lucky and it will never be sent. Stranger things have happened!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 AM   #98
Almost There

Try 3000 $
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Has progressive changed their policy?
I don't think they have-
https://www.progressive.com/rv/bus-c...ssa-insurance/

Keep your fingers crossed but don't be surprised if you get a cancellation notice in a month or two. Best of luck.
Maybe you'll be OK as long as you don't admit that (1) it's a school bus, and (2) you won't sleep with Flo.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #100
Skoolie

WV requires a Certificate of Insurance to get the title and the registration.