Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

I think you need to go commercial policy with progressiveIt costs more but you'll have insurance
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 81
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: 885 Cummins Turbo (A-855t-11)
Hey all , was just reading this thread. I just registered my 81 crown through AIS .https://www.aisinsurance.com/lp/home1.aspx . We even told them it was only partially converted and they had no problems and insured right away. Seems like this is the solution we are looking for. Told them it was a school bus and everything so it seems legit. Will let you know if we get dropped in the future.
HunteR0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 81
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: 885 Cummins Turbo (A-855t-11)
Just called AIS insurance and they got us insured through progressive..maybe since it's through a 3rd party we wont get the boot....

not going to hold our breath though
HunteR0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Insurance issues-TX

I have been having the same problems. I called AIS but they said they could not insure school buses converted unless it is a professional conversion??? Maybe because it is a school bus and not a coach or whatever. Who is everyone else going through for insurance...even if it is just liability...that is all I really care about anyway. I called a local Texas insurance company and he seemed pretty helpful, but still had to call around a few places. And I have to get my truck insured through whatever company we go through for "risk" issues? Whatever. I really don't care as long as there is some kind of insurance. What other places are people using or do people just not have insurance in skoolies that were converted from school buses.

We are in the process of heading to AZ to buy a 99 Genesis International....maybe can find someone to insure us for the 16 hour drive home? But it will only have school bus marked off...doesn't make sense that we have to break the law to become in compliance with the law. Same as the DMV, we need the bus to do the driving test (Non CDL, Class B..passed written) but can't drive the bus without a Class B license.

A** backwards kind of thinking huh?
thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #75

I'm running into the same issue here: spawn of Satan insurance agents that slam the door in my face on converting a school bus. Right now I can't even find commercial insurance to run it as a bus! I'm beginning to think that in the state of Michigan the requirements are: School purchases bus. School drives bus. School sells bus. Bus gets chopped and engine and trans go into someone's pickup as a street rod and the rest is scrapped because buses can't be insured in the state of Michigan. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Laramie3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #76

Year: 1998
Engine: 6.5L Chevrolet Turbo Diesel
I was looking into Progressive, and a couple of good friends of mine are insurance agents as well. I recently bought a short bus. Finally, it ended up being easiest to purchase an insurance policy through Nationwide - liability by itself costs about $60 a month.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I was looking into Progressive, and a couple of good friends of mine are insurance agents as well. I recently bought a short bus. Finally, it ended up being easiest to purchase an insurance policy through Nationwide - liability by itself costs about $60 a month.
God damn. I pay like 120 a month (National General) for liability (albeit minimum liability in MD is more than most states). I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
...I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
With a penis and a school bus! There goes your neighborhood!

I'm reminded of when I was in my 20's and had a 1984 Dodge Aries station wagon; the insurance cost more per month than loan payments.

I saw a 1975 Winnebago motor home at a police auction; they impounded it after it was abandoned. It was so water damaged that even if the chassis were drivable, the body likely would fall apart before you got very far. Yet, if I got it, my insurer would issue me a policy no questions asked.

Insurance companies put the ASS in ASSume.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #79

Year: 1998
Engine: 6.5L Chevrolet Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
God damn. I pay like 120 a month (National General) for liability (albeit minimum liability in MD is more than most states). I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
Ah yes... I'm 23, so I totally understand what you mean by rates being hiked up a bit.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
got mine with pro, comercial farm use 550. a year till i get converted