Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #61

MR Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTC View Post
Do you have a number for your broker, I am definetely having trouble finding insurance on my 1999 Thomas
Me to No luck getting Insurance..I Have a 1996..

MR Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #62
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
okay guys and gals. after burning a trail through the insurance companies and getting zero quotes, i visited a broker yesterday. she exhausted her resouces it seemed when she said "wait a minute, i insured a peterbuilt as a non-commercial personal use vehicle for a guy to tow his boat".

so, she looked at progressive (oh, boy, here we go again) for commercial vehicle insurance on a bus and whalla! it seems the way progressive thinks is this.......they list vehicles for their intended purpose, not for what they will currently be used for. if you have a commercial vehicle you can use it for personal use. huh? wtf? so she went that route and it spit out a good policy.

went to dmv, and the lady handed me a tag that read SCHOOL BUS. noooooooo, i will get busted, i need a tag that says truck, or rv or something besides school bus. so, she went back and came out with a tag that read private bus.....now were cooking. left dmv registered and tagged as private bus at $127 total, good for 2 years.

btw, insurance was 422 a year for 25/50/25 liability. i bought 6 months for 211.

i had previously had a trooper come out and do a physical inspection in prep for titling as a rv. he told me for that to happen, i would have to get a permit to dismantle, then another to reconstruct so the vin could be reassigned as rv. man, that seemed like a way to get caught up in bureaucratic never land so i got skeered!

end of story................i have a legal bus!
hope this helps the next guy trying to sort through all this mess.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yep, Progressive Commercial policy written at a local agent's office is the way to go.
Glad you're good to go. Feels great, eh?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #64
Site Team

yes it does ECCB> it was a big worry wondering if i had done all the work and not be able to get legal. all this time i was thinking a commercial policy meant i was wanting to use it for commercial purposes. i have a buddy that pays over $1200 a year for commercial insurance on his bus, so thats what i was thinking. but he runs tattoos out of his bus so he reallly is doing the commercial gig.

remember john travolta on welcome back kotter? im so confused!!!!!!!! lol
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: ahhhh 40'
Engine: 3116
Rated Cap: big pile seats
insurance flopped

Progressive cancels you after 1 payment.

Good Sam wont insure you if you only insure the bus, must insure another vehicle for some reason.

Now what should I do.

stuck in fla
Mschoonmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #66
Bus Geek

My Progressive policy (through an agent) has been going just fine other than having to pay for it.
Good Sam will insure just a bus, but only after the conversion is completed to their liking.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #67
Site Team

i got my policy papers and card in the mail, but no cancelation.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
No what he is saying is bought a commercial policy that is for personal use. Which means he doesn't have to have it converted to have it insured. When you insure it for no payload reasons… its a different game.

Many of those who are trying to get progressive to insure it as an RV usually get cancelled.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Yeah Progressive told me they do NOT cover converted buses. Unless they are "professionally converted".
Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #70
Almost There

The ups and downs

I had to go commercial insurance through an agent with progressiveIt costs just about $3000 a year 265 per
I need cheaper so I'm trying the on line thing just gave them another 111.00 for a 450 a year. Policy
But I'm thinking after reading this I'll be canceled also
I do hope they give me back my money I'm in New York just did this yesterday March 2
yeah I could not find any To be able to bring from South Carolina where I bought it at auction
Except that commercial policy it's now registered as a suburban
Hoping to find cheaper Insurance
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #71
Almost There

I think you need to go commercial policy with progressiveIt costs more but you'll have insurance
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 81
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: 885 Cummins Turbo (A-855t-11)
Hey all , was just reading this thread. I just registered my 81 crown through AIS .https://www.aisinsurance.com/lp/home1.aspx . We even told them it was only partially converted and they had no problems and insured right away. Seems like this is the solution we are looking for. Told them it was a school bus and everything so it seems legit. Will let you know if we get dropped in the future.
HunteR0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 81
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: 885 Cummins Turbo (A-855t-11)
Just called AIS insurance and they got us insured through progressive..maybe since it's through a 3rd party we wont get the boot....

not going to hold our breath though
HunteR0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Insurance issues-TX

I have been having the same problems. I called AIS but they said they could not insure school buses converted unless it is a professional conversion??? Maybe because it is a school bus and not a coach or whatever. Who is everyone else going through for insurance...even if it is just liability...that is all I really care about anyway. I called a local Texas insurance company and he seemed pretty helpful, but still had to call around a few places. And I have to get my truck insured through whatever company we go through for "risk" issues? Whatever. I really don't care as long as there is some kind of insurance. What other places are people using or do people just not have insurance in skoolies that were converted from school buses.

We are in the process of heading to AZ to buy a 99 Genesis International....maybe can find someone to insure us for the 16 hour drive home? But it will only have school bus marked off...doesn't make sense that we have to break the law to become in compliance with the law. Same as the DMV, we need the bus to do the driving test (Non CDL, Class B..passed written) but can't drive the bus without a Class B license.

A** backwards kind of thinking huh?
thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #75

I'm running into the same issue here: spawn of Satan insurance agents that slam the door in my face on converting a school bus. Right now I can't even find commercial insurance to run it as a bus! I'm beginning to think that in the state of Michigan the requirements are: School purchases bus. School drives bus. School sells bus. Bus gets chopped and engine and trans go into someone's pickup as a street rod and the rest is scrapped because buses can't be insured in the state of Michigan. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Laramie3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #76

Year: 1998
Engine: 6.5L Chevrolet Turbo Diesel
I was looking into Progressive, and a couple of good friends of mine are insurance agents as well. I recently bought a short bus. Finally, it ended up being easiest to purchase an insurance policy through Nationwide - liability by itself costs about $60 a month.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I was looking into Progressive, and a couple of good friends of mine are insurance agents as well. I recently bought a short bus. Finally, it ended up being easiest to purchase an insurance policy through Nationwide - liability by itself costs about $60 a month.
God damn. I pay like 120 a month (National General) for liability (albeit minimum liability in MD is more than most states). I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
...I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
With a penis and a school bus! There goes your neighborhood!

I'm reminded of when I was in my 20's and had a 1984 Dodge Aries station wagon; the insurance cost more per month than loan payments.

I saw a 1975 Winnebago motor home at a police auction; they impounded it after it was abandoned. It was so water damaged that even if the chassis were drivable, the body likely would fall apart before you got very far. Yet, if I got it, my insurer would issue me a policy no questions asked.

Insurance companies put the ASS in ASSume.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #79

Year: 1998
Engine: 6.5L Chevrolet Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
God damn. I pay like 120 a month (National General) for liability (albeit minimum liability in MD is more than most states). I am also a 20 year old with a penis though and that tends to hike things up a bit.
Ah yes... I'm 23, so I totally understand what you mean by rates being hiked up a bit.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:03 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
got mine with pro, comercial farm use 550. a year till i get converted
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote