Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Progressive has online bus conversion options

I am getting ready to purchase a crown and want all the ducks in a row. Progressive will insure on their website. You select RV, then Other and they have an option for professional conversion or non professional conversion. I selected less than 30 days a year of actual use and the basic was 210 a month and the plus was 387. I have to research the what their plus is and decide on AAA RV or what for motor club/prepaid disaster towing. Done! I did not purchase the policy but I know I can do it on the spot wit a cell phone when doing to pick up.
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Re: Progressive knows bus conversions

I had gotten Progressive through Good Sam and after 2 weeks, I got a cancellation notification in the mail based on an "invalid body style". From what I've seen on the board, they're pretty much kicking their school bus conversions...under the bus

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

Quit dealing with these companies directly and get yourself an insurance broker. My bus is insurred as a 1977 Chevy C/60, libality only, with no specifics ever asked about what it was exactly. I gave them the VIN and they never asked if it were a grain truck, fire truck, school bus, farm truck or otherwise.

After reading about all the troubles everyone here seems to have I called her and was basically told that by dealing directly with the insurance company you get questioned a lot more but when a private broker signs someone up they aren't as picky because the broker is suppose to know the rules so they don't look as close.

That all being said, I'll probably get an email from Progressive soon saying they're going to kick me off because it's a skoolie. That's how my luck usually goes .....
Old 06-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamper
Quit dealing with these companies directly and get yourself an insurance broker.
I've got two looking for me right now.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog

Its going to sound dumb but if I get insurance and they kick me to the curb in two weeks, its a disappointment but I will have been able to legally move from the seller to the storage yard where the real work will happen, and I can deal with getting it re-insured much later.
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh2901
Its going to sound dumb but if I get insurance and they kick me to the curb in two weeks, its a disappointment but I will have been able to legally move from the seller to the storage yard where the real work will happen, and I can deal with getting it re-insured much later.
I had my insurance before I had my bus. Which was good, because I picked it up in Maine and drove it back to NJ with it. Not something I recommend- marathon 9-ish hour drive, 4 hours of sleep, 11-ish hours back to South NJ.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 Gasser
Rated Cap: 66

well get ready for a world of issues. I have been fighting this with NUMEROUS companies and with agents/brokers. Everyones says no problem then it goes to the under writes and things sh#t the bed. Doesn't really matter what company you deal with most of them will only insure converted school buses. Seems the word on the street is they are a bigger liability when not converted. Thing is you have to insure it to get it to places to get it converted?

For those who have their stuff insured…. please keep it paid and up to date. Only issue i think you will run in to is if you have a mishap and have to make a claim well the devil in the details will come out as they always do with insurance companies. So choose your fight wisely.

The only real option when your in conversion process is to get it insure commercially while converting. Thing is no one will put in writing what they deem as "converted?" Seems my criteria and theirs seem to be different?

I have had others from here contact me and say…. give these guys a call….. NOTHING HAS WORKED. So again if you got yours to go through please keep it current. As this night mare seems to have no end in sight other than a commercial policy

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh2901
I am getting ready to purchase a crown and want all the ducks in a row. Progressive will insure on their website. You select RV, then Other and they have an option for professional conversion or non professional conversion. I selected less than 30 days a year of actual use and the basic was 210 a month and the plus was 387. I have to research the what their plus is and decide on AAA RV or what for motor club/prepaid disaster towing. Done! I did not purchase the policy but I know I can do it on the spot wit a cell phone when doing to pick up.
Thanks for that. I just signed up and got basic for 125 a year. It was easy. I went in entered the year, selected the make as other and the model as other professional bus conversion. After that, enter the rest of the info and it's all a piece of cake. GMAC and Foremost wanted pictures, my blood type, and stool samples. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it is registered as an rv by the state, it is one regardless of what the insurance company wants to call it. That's why I bought a bus that already had the converted title.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 Gasser
Rated Cap: 66

Good luck with that….. the underwriters seem to be related to Satan so just be aware.

I agree if the state deems it a rv then it is but……. if you have a bus type like I do…. GMC B6000 and its not a choice to selects as an rv…. well your down hill slide will start to happen.

I am really getting frustrated at this whole process. Not sure why people won't put in writing whats converted and what is not

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Good luck with that….. the underwriters seem to be related to Satan so just be aware.

I agree if the state deems it a rv then it is but……. if you have a bus type like I do…. GMC B6000 and its not a choice to selects as an rv…. well your down hill slide will start to happen.

I am really getting frustrated at this whole process. Not sure why people won't put in writing whats converted and what is not
I don't think you read quite what I wrote. You're exactly right, underwriters are the spawn of satan, but the way I did it, I didn't even talk to any of them. I'll pm you with pictures on how to do it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote