Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International
I got my 2001 short Thomas insured through Progressive a couple of months ago, but it was a real headache until it wasn't. $629 for 12 months liability only.
I went through a smaller company called Invest America Ins they are based in Las Vegas so I dont if they do other states or not...heres the number in case you want to check it out 1 702 685 3888. Good luck it can be a real pain.

Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I had all 3 of mine insured through progressive , I was getting a bit of a multi vehicle break but since 2 of mine are over 25 years I switched to hagerty since they are still busses and not converted. That saved me a bundle. Hagerty doesn’t do conversions. I renewed my progressive on the red bus so they still do coverage in Ohio anyway
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
End of July I got insurance with Progressive through my independent agent. $125/yr for liability. I drove the bus home and parked it. Just got a letter from Progressive cancelling my policy as of August 17. Letter says they won't cover bus conversions. Agent was going to replace it with a commercial policy, I told him to wait since the bus isn't going anywhere for a year or so.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #44

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran, IC chassis
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72, 37'
Progressive is out!

Had American Family Insurance for 4 years then they found out it was a conversion when I had a claim. went to Progressive for the last 3 years.
My personal agent for 26 years said sorry progressive no longer insured conversions. Tried a different private insurance company and they called progressive a second try and same answer. Dont bother with progressive anymore
pegabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve, 148k miles
Rated Cap: 25,000 lbs
Progressive said no - we went with Allstate

Progressive said they no longer do skoolies, so we went with Allstate, which insured the previous owner. About $40 per month - liability only.
PDXTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Try State Farm.....mine's only $10.71/mo for liability. (61 y.o., multi-vehicle, clean record)

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:08 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve, 148k miles
Rated Cap: 25,000 lbs
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Try State Farm.....mine's only $10.71/mo for liability. (61 y.o., multi-vehicle, clean record)
Thanks, I’ll check them out!
PDXTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Damn, I pay $30.42 a month to Allstate for liability (that might be because Philly, though - insurance rates are very high here, and they need to be, too).
Old 08-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It just might pay to have Progressive as your insurance company if you get into accidents. Seems they have a policy to deny all claims. May 21 I was in the turn lane and a lady cut in front of me from the west bound lane and I ran into the left rear corner of her car spinning it out. Long story short, I was issued a ticket for following too close. The State Cop wouldn't listen to me about how she cut into the turn lane extremely late. All he had to go on was 100' of skid mark, my impact in her rear and her statement that she was in the lane the whole time. It wasn't till he was handing me the ticket that I remembered I had a camera in the car. Waited till I got home and downloaded the whole day. The woman I hit left the scene in the ambulance because she hurt her ring finger on her left hand. The following day she hired an attorney to come after me. Got a letter from an attorney saying they were filing a lien against me for any medical expenses incurred. I showed the video to my buddy, a Lieutenant on the Sheriff Dept. . He took it upon himself to contact the ticketing officer and have my ticket reversed and called the woman to meet him at the court house to issue her citation for Improper Lane Change. I forwarded the dismissal letter for my ticket from the D.A. along with the video. Progressive is refusing to pay me saying they don't think I was going to turn at that road. I sued her. Her ticket was due yesterday and she opted to go to trial. Has to answer my lawsuit by the 31st.