Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Progressive insurance

Well I guess I will see how this works....went to see my insurance agent yesterday about insurance on my bus. I told him straight out that it is a school bus registered as a motorhome. I also told him I had heard that Progressive’s policy was to not insure converted buses.

He just laughed and said “I have been doing these for years, it’s not a problem “. I once again stressed the fact that that I did not want to get canceled in a few weeks, or be denied a claim at any point. His response was that it takes an insurance agent that knows how to do it correctly and Progressive will cover it.

So.....FULL comprehensive insurance on my 1993 International Genesis motorhome is running me $352.00 a year. I figured $29.33 a month for full coverage was very doable! This is in Washington state.

Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
hey Kent!!

Good news on the insurance.

Are you back in WW? Anything going on with your bus that I can give a hand with?

At a minimum, we need to get together for a pint or dinner.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
hey Kent!!

Good news on the insurance.

Are you back in WW? Anything going on with your bus that I can give a hand with?

At a minimum, we need to get together for a pint or dinner.
Hey Steve,
The bus at this point is just a great big “U-Haul”. Not doing much more than finish loading it up for the move.
I am in Walla Walla right now but don’t know for how long. Perhaps the rest of October! We should do our own little Octoberfest !!
The house goes on the market this next week and at that time the bus will go into storage so it’s not taking up parking space.

I’m not convinced that the local fuel stations have switched to the winter blended diesel yet so went and picked up anti-gel for 100 gallons. Will go fill the bus tomorrow to the tune of around $300

It is nice to be able to drive it again! It’s been sitting for over a year so doing all the usual things, filters, belts, etc... It does start right up and runs fine thanks to the solar power battery tender.

Talk to ya later, we’ll have to have that pint sometime.

Kent
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Perhaps dinner at Whiskey Canyon in Waitsburg?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3600 vista
Engine: Navistar ,DT466E
Rated Cap: 32 / 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
Well I guess I will see how this works....went to see my insurance agent yesterday about insurance on my bus. I told him straight out that it is a school bus registered as a motorhome. I also told him I had heard that Progressive’s policy was to not insure converted buses.

He just laughed and said “I have been doing these for years, it’s not a problem “. I once again stressed the fact that that I did not want to get canceled in a few weeks, or be denied a claim at any point. His response was that it takes an insurance agent that knows how to do it correctly and Progressive will cover it.

So.....FULL comprehensive insurance on my 1993 International Genesis motorhome is running me $352.00 a year. I figured $29.33 a month for full coverage was very doable! This is in Washington state.
Well I just called progressive and was going to pay off this years policy and pay half of next year’s but I was told progressive is not covering Bus conversions anymore. Once people’s policy year is over they are not renewing anybody I was told. And it’s because of a lot of people doing sketchy things like roof raise when they don’t know what they’re doing. fireplaces and Decks on the roof and it states in the policies that these are not allowed and people do it anyways. But it’s too bad for the people that don’t do it and aren’t getting coverage. Just thought that you should know and not be blind sided like I was going to be if I didn’t call and find out.
CoryBodiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Which battery tender are you running?

I need to get one for my bus.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Which battery tender are you running?

I need to get one for my bus.
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1513FA9-F7DE-4C6C-91C8-C5E7C58BF750.png
Views:	28
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	26526
Hooked up to a Renogy solar panel.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
just applied for progressive

I have a newly acquired 2001 thomas Matthews bookmobile. So it is NOT a converted school, passenger or transit bus. Progressive says on their website they will not insure those vehicles.

Maybe a niche market, I mean how many bookmobiles are motor home conversions (that is my winter project).

Anyway just purchased a $350 policy (I'm a vermonter). Though my previous 1999 class c 30 footer policy was $42 a year with theft and collison under my auto policy. BTW I am accident and violition free for 35 years...

Though this post wont really HELP anyone without a bookmobile...
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
progressive cancelled me

Well after 3 weeks of coverage Progressive has cancelled me as the book mobile bus I bought is considered a school bus, even with a kitchen area and couch from new. It's blue and was built new as a book mobile. I am 58 never a ticket or accident, homeowner, good credit etc!!

And the bus is getting fixed up at a fleet pride place, cant even drive it home.
I will search skoolie.net for help now!!

Funny they knew all the facts going in and sent me all the policy papers.
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
Well after 3 weeks of coverage Progressive has cancelled me as the book mobile bus I bought is considered a school bus, even with a kitchen area and couch from new.
I got insurance a few months ago from Progressive. I told the guy on the phone it was a short bus conversion but he just asked me what it says on the VIN. On the VIN it just says "Ford Econoline." He said that's all they care about. He asked me how many seat belts it had, and since there are 2 it is a passenger vehicle. Apparently if it had only one I would have had to register it as commercial or something like that, and if it had the original 20 it would have been a bus.

I don't have what you'd call a stellar driving record, with 2 collisions (one wasn't me but a friend had borrowed my truck so he was covered under my insurance). They still gave me coverage albeit at a not great rate. I wouldn't get a great rate on anything right now, though, and probably never will again.

I've been insured by Progressive for 4 months now and so far they haven't cancelled me. But I had already resigned myself to not registering as an RV (which of course would be a lot cheaper), so while I did inform them it was a conversion I didn't press the point all that hard. When he offered the passenger vehicle diagnosis I just agreed and shut my mouth.

I shudder to think, though, what would happen if I had an actual accident. I mean, being dropped, and knowing you don't have coverage, is probably preferable to being hit with a lawsuit when the company you've been paying every month refuses to cover you.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
Today I talked with an agent from Allstate in California (initially I talked to one in FL) and they are able to write policies for school bus conversions both professionally and home grown.

As an example:
2007 IC CE300 costs $100 and change per six month policy for 100/300 LIABILITY ONLY

Add Comp/Collision to that by a "professional" ( I've done several home remodels and building projects) with a $45K value after conversion (self-valuated) and the COMP/COLLISION policy for six months goes to just under $300 inclusive of liability.

The FL agent's contact info is:
Kelly Newsome

(\/)
( . . )
c(")(")
Phone 352-326-9300
Fax 352-326-3931
Email kellynewsome1@allstate.com

The CA agent's contact info is:
Joe Lehr
707-546-3700
JOELEHR@allstate.com

NOTE: They are full aware that this bus is registered in VT as a MH with a CA address.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post

Progressive quoted me $668.00 for 12 months and that's only liability for the commercial for personal use policy. I don't understand. Mines is not registered at all.
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Progressive quoted me $668.00 for 12 months and that's only liability for the commercial for personal use policy. I don't understand. Mines is not registered at all.
What's your driving record like? Mine is clean and I'm paying $170/yr from Progressive through an independent agent, not my State Farm agent, for the same policy.
I went through Van Keith Ins.
706-429-0172
Don't know if they insure out of state vehicles, but since it's through a nationwide company, I don't see why they wouldn't take your money.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What's your driving record like? Mine is clean and I'm paying $170/yr from Progressive through an independent agent, not my State Farm agent, for the same policy.
I went through Van Keith Ins.
706-429-0172
Don't know if they insure out of state vehicles, but since it's through a nationwide company, I don't see why they wouldn't take your money.
My record is also clean. Maybe it's because I currently have no insurance. I also called the 800 number. You think it would make a difference to check locally? I'm in Texas
Old 12-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

That's just about exactly what we're paying for liability and commercial/personal use. I'm in the Chicago area. IIRC the Progressive agent said the rate is based on where it's garaged.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
My record is also clean. Maybe it's because I currently have no insurance. I also called the 800 number. You think it would make a difference to check locally? I'm in Texas
Yes, check out local insurance companies. It seems everyone here who goes through an independent ends up with a Progressive policy. Usually the "having insurance" only helps when insuring through the same company. I have insurance for everything through State Farm, except the bus. No one asked me if I had I had insurance on anything else.
Maybe Ga. is cheaper to insure.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Remember that the zip code you are in makes a HUGE difference. Houston rates are outrageous. Go a few miles out in any direction and you can take half off.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9l Cummins ISB
Quote:
I'm also in Texas. I just got my bus last month. I called USAA and they referred/forwarded me to Progressive Commercial. Progressive sold me a liability only policy for $180.
2RideTheGlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
I had Progressive in Michigan, the policy is actually still in effect. But as I just moved to Indiana Progressive is telling me they will not Insure my TC2000 conversion here. And that my Michigan policy “was just grandfathered in”

So I am on the hunt for another insurance company that will insure my bus.

Bill
Lebanon, IN
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RideTheGlobe View Post
I'm also in Texas. I just got my bus last month. I called USAA and they referred/forwarded me to Progressive Commercial. Progressive sold me a liability only policy for $180.
$180 a month?