Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Progressive

I'm paying 135 a month with progressive

Nomadusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #22

Ya, I couldnt really get around telling them it was a bus as they could see it was a bus when they ran the vin number. I just said it was strictly for personal use (as I'm just in the beginning stages of conversion). But, the price was raised slightly as I have a minor incident that won't fall off my record until this fall. I finally was told I could buy 6 months of insurance for 214, (rather than commit to a year as I plan on having to re insure it as a motor home within that time), so that is what I ended up with. 6 month policy for 214.
Bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
It sounds like the problems arise prior to the vehicle being converted and registered as an RV? Or are some of these incidents AFTER it is registered an RV? Are you guys having problems with insurance because it was a bus in a previous life??
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insurance is very state and zip code specific... providers hgave very different regulations to deal with per state... progressive for instance may not have favorable terms to insure busses for personal use due to state regulations.. risk assessment per zip code where it is to be stored (and assumed driven to and from alot)..

Progressive told me that they will insure my 2 busses as busses for personal use.. I am not converting them buit the question did get asked "is it staying a bus:" with my red one when I added it to the policy... progressive flat out doesnt insure school busses converted into anything but a bus.. at least thats how it seems to be playing out... its obviously going to raise flags with them when you change the title from a bus to a motorhome. and register it as so.. they will see that record.. manmy people get cancelled a short time after doing this.. one of my busses came with a motorhome title.. and they continue to insure it.. if they gave me any flack.. id likely just show them it has rows of seats in it and most of its original interior.. and all windows.. its a bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote