Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #1

Progressive Insurance online

So I’ve been doing my research on the topic of insurance, but a few threads are old so I wanted updated advice on the subject. After calling numerous insurance agencies (including local) no one got back to me about insuring a “commercial bus for personal use”.

(I’m trying to buy and drive my new 1998 international Thomas short bus home from NC to FL this upcoming Tuesday.)

I’ve tried going online to make a claim but I kept inputting commercial vehicle since my bus isn’t converted yet and getting no where. I really just want insurance for the drive home and then figure out the rest when it’s safely parked and converted (maybe a year from now).

But I did some more research and on dmv.org they say a Class A RV can be a converted bus. So I went onto progressive online and started filling out a quote for a class A RV with the make as “International Thomas 3600” and that I’ll only be on the road 25 days out of the year and got the quote for basic=$125 and choice=$501. Now I was ready to do it when I remember people saying they got dropped the next day or week. So I’m thinking I’ll do it the day of....? Has anyone had luck with online progressive quotes sticking? Did I say the right thing for make? Should I only pick the basic? When they drop you do they keep whatever you’ve paid so far? Because I saw you can do installments.

Thank you!

ddbbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbella View Post
So I’ve been doing my research on the topic of insurance, but a few threads are old so I wanted updated advice on the subject. After calling numerous insurance agencies (including local) no one got back to me about insuring a “commercial bus for personal use”.

(I’m trying to buy and drive my new 1998 international Thomas short bus home from NC to FL this upcoming Tuesday.)

I’ve tried going online to make a claim but I kept inputting commercial vehicle since my bus isn’t converted yet and getting no where. I really just want insurance for the drive home and then figure out the rest when it’s safely parked and converted (maybe a year from now).

But I did some more research and on dmv.org they say a Class A RV can be a converted bus. So I went onto progressive online and started filling out a quote for a class A RV with the make as “International Thomas 3600” and that I’ll only be on the road 25 days out of the year and got the quote for basic=$125 and choice=$501. Now I was ready to do it when I remember people saying they got dropped the next day or week. So I’m thinking I’ll do it the day of....? Has anyone had luck with online progressive quotes sticking? Did I say the right thing for make? Should I only pick the basic? When they drop you do they keep whatever you’ve paid so far? Because I saw you can do installments.

Thank you!
I got insurance via AIS. It's with progressive underwritten by someone else. It's my understanding that they don't do conversions but that you are fine pre-conversion. Ask for the commercial side of course. They were speedy and knowledgeable. I did wait til the Fri before I leave to get the bus to pay for the quote and print out my insurance cards to show the cops if needed and the DMV to get a trip permit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're tired of hitting your head against the insurance wall, open your phone book and get in contact with an "Independent Insurance Agent/Broker". Tell them you want the commercial policy for private use.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
After a few failed attempts at calling progressive and every other company, I did the online progressive quote to have insurance to drive my full size from NJ to MA not caring if they dropped me, just wanted to have insurance for the trip. Well they didn't cancel it, even called to update the make etc later on no problems.

Now almost a year later I get a letter saying they won't renew my policy because my it's a converted school bus and therefore unacceptable. I may be eligible for their commercial policy. I will have to try that, last time I had no luck getting a commercial policy either, the quotes were insane if I even got one. Massachusetts is awful!
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbella View Post

Thank you!
I did what you are doing, but a month ago. I was going to do progressive (RV) insurance for the drive home. I was going to buy it the night before to minimize the time they had to think about it before I was home. When you go to actually buy the policy, you will have a whole page to ask you 3 questions, and one of them is that its not a converted school bus. If you lie on that page, it might get you a piece of paper to show a police officer or the DMV, but I doubt you would be covered if you had an accident, and they will eventually notice the VIN was original for a bus and cancel you.

if you go to progressive commercial, https://www.progressivecommercial.com/
you can specifically say I want to insure this Bus (commercial vehicle), and later it asks what are going to use it for, there is an option for 'personal use'. You may eventually get as far as getting a quote (I don't remember exactly), but you can't buy the policy online. So you have to call in. when you talk to the commercial agent on the phone, you will have to repeat all your information. On both the website and in person you have to pick how many it seats, one of the option is less than 15 plus driver (the criteria for a bus). I personally disabled enough seats to get under 15 at the first walmart i stopped at. When you tell them you want it for personal use, they will ask you what kind of personal use, you will have to tell them something, and I can tell you converting it some day in the future will NOT get you insurance. I ended up calling back and told them I was going to use it for storage for my motorcycles and some home depot runs for larger building supplies, (which is accurate for the foreseeable future for me).

I believe they did ask if I had a CDL and I said no. The lack of a CDL did not prevent me from getting insurance.

Commercial insurance was more expensive than RV insurance. I purchased liability with higher limits. Since If you manage to get into an accident, I imagine whoever else is involved is not going to come out on the winning end. I purchased with the lowest payment I could make, in case they canceled me, I wouldn't be without my money. I am right at the 3-4 week mark, so I am sort of holding my breath to see if that first call I made will come back to haunt me.

My vehicle was 30k lbs, so not really any options other than commercial vehicle insurance for me. With a shorty under 26k, I have heard of people insuring it as a big van, but you have to be careful, even if you don't misrepresent your vehicle, but the agent misinterpret it and you sign the policy without reading the fine print you could be in trouble in case of a claim.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I did what you are doing, but a month ago. I was going to do progressive (RV) insurance for the drive home. I was going to buy it the night before to minimize the time they had to think about it before I was home. When you go to actually buy the policy, you will have a whole page to ask you 3 questions, and one of them is that its not a converted school bus. If you lie on that page, it might get you a piece of paper to show a police officer or the DMV, but I doubt you would be covered if you had an accident, and they will eventually notice the VIN was original for a bus and cancel you.

if you go to progressive commercial, https://www.progressivecommercial.com/
you can specifically say I want to insure this Bus (commercial vehicle), and later it asks what are going to use it for, there is an option for 'personal use'. You may eventually get as far as getting a quote (I don't remember exactly), but you can't buy the policy online. So you have to call in. when you talk to the commercial agent on the phone, you will have to repeat all your information. On both the website and in person you have to pick how many it seats, one of the option is less than 15 plus driver (the criteria for a bus). I personally disabled enough seats to get under 15 at the first walmart i stopped at. When you tell them you want it for personal use, they will ask you what kind of personal use, you will have to tell them something, and I can tell you converting it some day in the future will NOT get you insurance. I ended up calling back and told them I was going to use it for storage for my motorcycles and some home depot runs for larger building supplies, (which is accurate for the foreseeable future for me).

I believe they did ask if I had a CDL and I said no. The lack of a CDL did not prevent me from getting insurance.

Commercial insurance was more expensive than RV insurance. I purchased liability with higher limits. Since If you manage to get into an accident, I imagine whoever else is involved is not going to come out on the winning end. I purchased with the lowest payment I could make, in case they canceled me, I wouldn't be without my money. I am right at the 3-4 week mark, so I am sort of holding my breath to see if that first call I made will come back to haunt me.

My vehicle was 30k lbs, so not really any options other than commercial vehicle insurance for me. With a shorty under 26k, I have heard of people insuring it as a big van, but you have to be careful, even if you don't misrepresent your vehicle, but the agent misinterpret it and you sign the policy without reading the fine print you could be in trouble in case of a claim.

Thank you, this is very helpful for the phone call I need to make tomorrow! Basically going to do the same. Really just want legit insurance that knows what I have and is ok with it. I would hate to give up the dream for lack of insurance.
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you're tired of hitting your head against the insurance wall, open your phone book and get in contact with an "Independent Insurance Agent/Broker". Tell them you want the commercial policy for private use.
+1 to this advice.

I got the email address for an insurance broker in my area (All State). I had no issues obtaining an insurance policy on the bus. Given that I am not a US Resident / do not hold a US licence or CDL / have no insurance history / no social security number etc it was surprisingly easy.

I as I did it through a broker, they policy is built for the vehicle, rather than an attempt to get coverage through an uncooperative website. So I know I will be covered if I need to use it.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
After 10 years of insurance with Progressive I finally got the "we don't insure school buses" letter. Hence, I don't have insurance. Thought it might of been because I recently became an officially old person, i.e. 65 years old.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'll hit up their commercial division next.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It took them ten years (of taking your money) to notice it was a Skoolie?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sometimes it seems.. it may be that they decvided in a certain geographical area to drop coverage for skoolies..

**CALL** the commercial side and start a file.. dont do it online..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
It took them ten years (of taking your money) to notice it was a Skoolie?
It is sad. Had a car repaired @08 and this old lady had state farm for like 40yrs not one claim and she had someone back into her and they dropped her. Insurance is such a scam. I get pissed at myself cause when anything happens I fix it myself so rates dont go up.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
I am in Missouri, I plan on making the trip to California to purchase a bus. Its gvwr 35000lbs. It will have all the seats removed except the front ones for like total of 7 passengers. Anyone got experience in Missouri? I have been told to insure it as a van with bus body. Not sure how this works if its gvwr is 35k lbs. I also read to use commercial policy, would I need to have a CDL if the insurance is commercial for private use?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sometimes it seems.. it may be that they decvided in a certain geographical area to drop coverage for skoolies..

-Christopher
From posts in various places it does seem like they may be dropping in some areas. Although it also seems like they are still writing it, sometimes in those same areas, so I find the whole thing very confusing. It's almost as bad as medical services in terms of lack of transparency in pricing and just being generally difficult to know what you are getting for your money and whether or not it's really what you need and what your options really are. You call one company three times, talk to three different people, and get three different answers sometimes!! The local independent brokers struck out for me except one that found me a higher price for the same coverage with progressive I got thru AIS commerical.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I am in Missouri, I plan on making the trip to California to purchase a bus. Its gvwr 35000lbs. It will have all the seats removed except the front ones for like total of 7 passengers. Anyone got experience in Missouri? I have been told to insure it as a van with bus body. Not sure how this works if its gvwr is 35k lbs. I also read to use commercial policy, would I need to have a CDL if the insurance is commercial for private use?
Some companies may want that for commercial use but others just write it as commerical because it's over a certain weight. Also some agents just don't understand commerical for private use. One broker I called had a person that answered the phone that insisted that was not a thing. She would not connect me to the commerical person unless I gave her my company name. It was very weird because their online presence indicated that they could solve all your insurance problems- boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. Another would write it commerical but their minimum for a commercial policy was 1M coverage which was pricy. And then when I called back to check on that one they said oops, sorry, no, we can't do that after all. The whole process was extremely frustrating.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1990
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
I got insurance on my bus last week. Called Progressive Commercial. The agent asked if I was converting it, so I said yes. He asked when it would be done and I told him a couple of years at least. He then said they will insure it only until the conversion is complete.

So I have insurance for now. It feels pretty temporary, but at least I can start driving it around.
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Just got insurance through Progressive

I just got my skoolie legal with Progressive commercial they had me down as a handyman in commercial vehicle non-business personal use this is after repeatedly getting turned down by Progressive someone told me to go for the handyman angle
Nomadusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadusa View Post
I just got my skoolie legal with Progressive commercial they had me down as a handyman in commercial vehicle non-business personal use this is after repeatedly getting turned down by Progressive someone told me to go for the handyman angle
I too am a handyman.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I got mine insured 3 times now

I have an Ford e-450 stripped chassis with a Thomas built bus dropped on the back. So when you run the vin on my Skoolie it comes back as a 2000 Ford e-450 truck cut-away chassis/ passenger van. Man you bound hear the confusion in their voice trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I was trying to insure. The first time I called progressive and they transferee me over to commercial just based on weight alone. So I gave them the vin and waited, then the guy asked me what my vehicle looked like. I knew better then to say bus so I told him it had a van front end and the back..... well the back was boxy. That didn’t satisfy him so I said well for lack of better words it kinda looked like a school bus. He said well I could put that but I don’t think that’s what it is. He said I think it’s more like a box truck. I said yup that’s exactly what it was. They still had a 1mill covarge policy due to weight I think. But they insured me. They actually called me right back after to make sure it wasn’t an old ups or bread truck which I said no. But aft r our first road trip the bus was doing a lot of sitting so I let the policy expire.

So the next two times getting it registered I just told them the vin and told them I wanted to be my ford e-450 insured. Hope this helps out someone else trying to insure their Skoolie.
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #19

I am in Alabama and spoke with progressive commercial today. After at least an hour on the phone with an agent, I got about to insure as a personal commercial vehicle for 314 for a year, (paid upfront, by month it was 50 more). That is for liability and comprehension (for storms and such). He said if I should change it within the year to be insured as something else, and they decided not to cover it, (it is currently unconverted), they would reimburse me the part of the year they hadnt covered. Seems reasonable enough just so I can at least start the process of registering etc.
(Its for a 98, 6 window, ford cut away school bus.
Bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Did you tell them it was a school bus? Because that sounds like a really good deal. They were going to charge me 1300 but then lowered it to 866. Which I thought sounded great. But I found you don’t want to mention anything about a bus.
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote