Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #1

Progressive Insurance online

So Iíve been doing my research on the topic of insurance, but a few threads are old so I wanted updated advice on the subject. After calling numerous insurance agencies (including local) no one got back to me about insuring a ďcommercial bus for personal useĒ.

(Iím trying to buy and drive my new 1998 international Thomas short bus home from NC to FL this upcoming Tuesday.)

Iíve tried going online to make a claim but I kept inputting commercial vehicle since my bus isnít converted yet and getting no where. I really just want insurance for the drive home and then figure out the rest when itís safely parked and converted (maybe a year from now).

But I did some more research and on dmv.org they say a Class A RV can be a converted bus. So I went onto progressive online and started filling out a quote for a class A RV with the make as ďInternational Thomas 3600Ē and that Iíll only be on the road 25 days out of the year and got the quote for basic=$125 and choice=$501. Now I was ready to do it when I remember people saying they got dropped the next day or week. So Iím thinking Iíll do it the day of....? Has anyone had luck with online progressive quotes sticking? Did I say the right thing for make? Should I only pick the basic? When they drop you do they keep whatever youíve paid so far? Because I saw you can do installments.

Thank you!
ddbbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbella View Post
So Iíve been doing my research on the topic of insurance, but a few threads are old so I wanted updated advice on the subject. After calling numerous insurance agencies (including local) no one got back to me about insuring a ďcommercial bus for personal useĒ.

(Iím trying to buy and drive my new 1998 international Thomas short bus home from NC to FL this upcoming Tuesday.)

Iíve tried going online to make a claim but I kept inputting commercial vehicle since my bus isnít converted yet and getting no where. I really just want insurance for the drive home and then figure out the rest when itís safely parked and converted (maybe a year from now).

But I did some more research and on dmv.org they say a Class A RV can be a converted bus. So I went onto progressive online and started filling out a quote for a class A RV with the make as ďInternational Thomas 3600Ē and that Iíll only be on the road 25 days out of the year and got the quote for basic=$125 and choice=$501. Now I was ready to do it when I remember people saying they got dropped the next day or week. So Iím thinking Iíll do it the day of....? Has anyone had luck with online progressive quotes sticking? Did I say the right thing for make? Should I only pick the basic? When they drop you do they keep whatever youíve paid so far? Because I saw you can do installments.

Thank you!
I got insurance via AIS. It's with progressive underwritten by someone else. It's my understanding that they don't do conversions but that you are fine pre-conversion. Ask for the commercial side of course. They were speedy and knowledgeable. I did wait til the Fri before I leave to get the bus to pay for the quote and print out my insurance cards to show the cops if needed and the DMV to get a trip permit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're tired of hitting your head against the insurance wall, open your phone book and get in contact with an "Independent Insurance Agent/Broker". Tell them you want the commercial policy for private use.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
After a few failed attempts at calling progressive and every other company, I did the online progressive quote to have insurance to drive my full size from NJ to MA not caring if they dropped me, just wanted to have insurance for the trip. Well they didn't cancel it, even called to update the make etc later on no problems.

Now almost a year later I get a letter saying they won't renew my policy because my it's a converted school bus and therefore unacceptable. I may be eligible for their commercial policy. I will have to try that, last time I had no luck getting a commercial policy either, the quotes were insane if I even got one. Massachusetts is awful!
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbella View Post
So I’ve been doing my research on the topic of insurance, but a few threads are old so I wanted updated advice on the subject. After calling numerous insurance agencies (including local) no one got back to me about insuring a “commercial bus for personal use”.

(I’m trying to buy and drive my new 1998 international Thomas short bus home from NC to FL this upcoming Tuesday.)

I’ve tried going online to make a claim but I kept inputting commercial vehicle since my bus isn’t converted yet and getting no where. I really just want insurance for the drive home and then figure out the rest when it’s safely parked and converted (maybe a year from now).

But I did some more research and on dmv.org they say a Class A RV can be a converted bus. So I went onto progressive online and started filling out a quote for a class A RV with the make as “International Thomas 3600” and that I’ll only be on the road 25 days out of the year and got the quote for basic=$125 and choice=$501. Now I was ready to do it when I remember people saying they got dropped the next day or week. So I’m thinking I’ll do it the day of....? Has anyone had luck with online progressive quotes sticking? Did I say the right thing for make? Should I only pick the basic? When they drop you do they keep whatever you’ve paid so far? Because I saw you can do installments.

Thank you!
I did what you are doing, but a month ago. I was going to do progressive (RV) insurance for the drive home. I was going to buy it the night before to minimize the time they had to think about it before I was home. When you go to actually buy the policy, you will have a whole page to ask you 3 questions, and one of them is that its not a converted school bus. If you lie on that page, it might get you a piece of paper to show a police officer or the DMV, but I doubt you would be covered if you had an accident, and they will eventually notice the VIN was original for a bus and cancel you.

if you go to progressive commercial, https://www.progressivecommercial.com/
you can specifically say I want to insure this Bus (commercial vehicle), and later it asks what are going to use it for, there is an option for 'personal use'. You may eventually get as far as getting a quote (I don't remember exactly), but you can't buy the policy online. So you have to call in. when you talk to the commercial agent on the phone, you will have to repeat all your information. On both the website and in person you have to pick how many it seats, one of the option is less than 15 plus driver (the criteria for a bus). I personally disabled enough seats to get under 15 at the first walmart i stopped at. When you tell them you want it for personal use, they will ask you what kind of personal use, you will have to tell them something, and I can tell you converting it some day in the future will NOT get you insurance. I ended up calling back and told them I was going to use it for storage for my motorcycles and some home depot runs for larger building supplies, (which is accurate for the foreseeable future for me).

I believe they did ask if I had a CDL and I said no. The lack of a CDL did not prevent me from getting insurance.

Commercial insurance was more expensive than RV insurance. I purchased liability with higher limits. Since If you manage to get into an accident, I imagine whoever else is involved is not going to come out on the winning end. I purchased with the lowest payment I could make, in case they canceled me, I wouldn't be without my money. I am right at the 3-4 week mark, so I am sort of holding my breath to see if that first call I made will come back to haunt me.

My vehicle was 30k lbs, so not really any options other than commercial vehicle insurance for me. With a shorty under 26k, I have heard of people insuring it as a big van, but you have to be careful, even if you don't misrepresent your vehicle, but the agent misinterpret it and you sign the policy without reading the fine print you could be in trouble in case of a claim.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I did what you are doing, but a month ago. I was going to do progressive (RV) insurance for the drive home. I was going to buy it the night before to minimize the time they had to think about it before I was home. When you go to actually buy the policy, you will have a whole page to ask you 3 questions, and one of them is that its not a converted school bus. If you lie on that page, it might get you a piece of paper to show a police officer or the DMV, but I doubt you would be covered if you had an accident, and they will eventually notice the VIN was original for a bus and cancel you.

if you go to progressive commercial, https://www.progressivecommercial.com/
you can specifically say I want to insure this Bus (commercial vehicle), and later it asks what are going to use it for, there is an option for 'personal use'. You may eventually get as far as getting a quote (I don't remember exactly), but you can't buy the policy online. So you have to call in. when you talk to the commercial agent on the phone, you will have to repeat all your information. On both the website and in person you have to pick how many it seats, one of the option is less than 15 plus driver (the criteria for a bus). I personally disabled enough seats to get under 15 at the first walmart i stopped at. When you tell them you want it for personal use, they will ask you what kind of personal use, you will have to tell them something, and I can tell you converting it some day in the future will NOT get you insurance. I ended up calling back and told them I was going to use it for storage for my motorcycles and some home depot runs for larger building supplies, (which is accurate for the foreseeable future for me).

I believe they did ask if I had a CDL and I said no. The lack of a CDL did not prevent me from getting insurance.

Commercial insurance was more expensive than RV insurance. I purchased liability with higher limits. Since If you manage to get into an accident, I imagine whoever else is involved is not going to come out on the winning end. I purchased with the lowest payment I could make, in case they canceled me, I wouldn't be without my money. I am right at the 3-4 week mark, so I am sort of holding my breath to see if that first call I made will come back to haunt me.

My vehicle was 30k lbs, so not really any options other than commercial vehicle insurance for me. With a shorty under 26k, I have heard of people insuring it as a big van, but you have to be careful, even if you don't misrepresent your vehicle, but the agent misinterpret it and you sign the policy without reading the fine print you could be in trouble in case of a claim.

Thank you, this is very helpful for the phone call I need to make tomorrow! Basically going to do the same. Really just want legit insurance that knows what I have and is ok with it. I would hate to give up the dream for lack of insurance.
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you're tired of hitting your head against the insurance wall, open your phone book and get in contact with an "Independent Insurance Agent/Broker". Tell them you want the commercial policy for private use.
+1 to this advice.

I got the email address for an insurance broker in my area (All State). I had no issues obtaining an insurance policy on the bus. Given that I am not a US Resident / do not hold a US licence or CDL / have no insurance history / no social security number etc it was surprisingly easy.

I as I did it through a broker, they policy is built for the vehicle, rather than an attempt to get coverage through an uncooperative website. So I know I will be covered if I need to use it.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
After 10 years of insurance with Progressive I finally got the "we don't insure school buses" letter. Hence, I don't have insurance. Thought it might of been because I recently became an officially old person, i.e. 65 years old.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'll hit up their commercial division next.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It took them ten years (of taking your money) to notice it was a Skoolie?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sometimes it seems.. it may be that they decvided in a certain geographical area to drop coverage for skoolies..

**CALL** the commercial side and start a file.. dont do it online..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

« Fuel card | - »