Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: Progressive just dropped us today...?

I told them my bus was titled as an RV, they said it was a bus, I said "yes, a converted bus".

We went back and forth like this for a while.

Don't lie. Don't volunteer information. Just start with the basics. "yes, I'd like to purchase insurance for my RV please".

If they say the VIN is a bus, respond that it is a bus conversion.

I was lucky, mine was already titled as a motorhome in NC where I bought it, so VA didn't give me a hard time. Also, someone had traveled across the country in it with bunks and portable toilet, so it was in fact a conversion.

If you lie to them and they find out, they can deny your coverage retroactively and even pursue legal action for fraud. Best to stick to the truth in a minimalist fashion.

good luck,
jim

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Thanks Jim, I didn't call yet but will see tomorrow... I just wanted to hear from others & what they thought! Progressive gave us till the 27th of July to get coverage, then we are dropped. Dang-it! If we could have just had insurance till the end of August...

Jonathan
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
Bus Nut

When pressed, I told them my bus was titled as a BUS FOR PERSONAL USE and that I was in the process of converting it. GMAC didn't seem to care, as long as they knew what it was....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON

Said it before, I'll say it again.. LOL.... Since it has no seats, it is no longer a bus by definition, regardless of what the title says. Without proper plumbing and appointments, it is not an RV either, regardless of what the title says. Since most skoolies (Ford B-series, International 3800s, Chevy C60/Kodiak / GMC G60 / TopKick chassis) are basically an incomplete medium duty truck frame with a bus body attached, I should think retitling it as a private TRUCK should not be a problem. You should then be able to insure it as such. Just offering a suggestion to skirt both uncertainties. Just because it LOOKS like a bus, doesn't make it a bus. If It can't carry passengers without seats, it really isn't a bus, is it? I would say that makes it a closed-box cargo truck, or a LARGE van.
I can only speak for NY but a truck with a GVWR over 26000 lbs (which most buses are well over) cannot be registered as anything other than commercial, however a VAN is defined as a fully enclosed vehicle and can be registered as a personal use (passenger plate) van as long as it has seating for passengers behind the drivers seat and seats not more than 8 people
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Hmmm my GVWR is only 33,280 as the tag shows inside the bus... On the title it has a section: WT-L-BHP. What does this stand for? My says the WT-L-BHP is 19240... Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
Bus Nut

That is funny as I was thinking the same thing when trying to figure out just what it means...
I am guessing it weighs 19,240 lbs with a capacity of 33,280??? (hopefully)
Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Well we applied for insurance with GMAC online today & was able to secure a policy for $290.00 for 6 months!!! It is the very basic coverage as again, we are just driving to NM & parking the bus for a while so minimal coverage is perfect. I am wondering if I will hear back from GMAC on this policy as it was just too easy to secure it! We shall see... NOW if I could just get some time to work on the bus again!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

I am a truck driver let me expain some stuff about weights and laws.

GVW gross vehicle weight- the actual weight of the veh. fully fueled all fluids full.
GVWR Gross vehicle weight rating this is how much the thing can weight fully loaded with stuff, people, freight.
WT-L-BHP weight to load brake horsepower- this is how much weight you can safely brake- as it relates to the engine, your bus has a Jacobs brake? Usally that is the refrence this is to. If your bus has no jake, can't figure why that is on your title, unless you ship it to europe this is not much concern to you.

Little word on weight laws, and how it can effect us.
Indivdual states have differing laws but for the most part, unless you have heavy haul permit-

Steer axles can have no more than 14000 lbs- or exceed tire rating. This means if you have 6k tires you can have no more than 12k on your steers- New mexico will check you- so will oregon.

Drive axles can not exceed 17000 lbs- This is per axle each set of dualies- some states let you get away with 18000.

This gives you on our rigs 31,000 pounds to work with.

Yes I realize that this weight is less than most of the data you will find on your bus- it even affects us in the trucking industry- our GVWR is 80,000 but due to bridge laws in many states we never get over 75,000. A typical gross for a truck is 70,000 because of state laws.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
I am a truck driver let me expain some stuff about weights and laws.

GVW gross vehicle weight- the actual weight of the veh. fully fueled all fluids full.
GVWR Gross vehicle weight rating this is how much the thing can weight fully loaded with stuff, people, freight.
WT-L-BHP weight to load brake horsepower- this is how much weight you can safely brake- as it relates to the engine, your bus has a Jacobs brake? Usally that is the refrence this is to. If your bus has no jake, can't figure why that is on your title, unless you ship it to europe this is not much concern to you.

Little word on weight laws, and how it can effect us.
Indivdual states have differing laws but for the most part, unless you have heavy haul permit-

Steer axles can have no more than 14000 lbs- or exceed tire rating. This means if you have 6k tires you can have no more than 12k on your steers- New mexico will check you- so will oregon.

Drive axles can not exceed 17000 lbs- This is per axle each set of dualies- some states let you get away with 18000.

This gives you on our rigs 31,000 pounds to work with.

Yes I realize that this weight is less than most of the data you will find on your bus- it even affects us in the trucking industry- our GVWR is 80,000 but due to bridge laws in many states we never get over 75,000. A typical gross for a truck is 70,000 because of state laws.
I know we are geting way off the insurance topic but you have caught my interest!

Thanks for the helpful info. I have a Class B CDL but it has been over 15 years since I have used it... I am wondering about New Mexico, you mentioned they will check us out. Having a private vehicle I don't have to go through any weigh stations do I? I am not sure of this as I always drove commercial vehicles. Please advise...

My bus is rated as: front axle - 12,080 & rear is - 21,200lbs. This is a total of 33,280 totally loaded. You mention drive axles cannot exceed 17,000lbs. How is it mine is rated so much higher? I am wondering how much this bus weighs empty & how much weight I can load into it? Where can I go to weigh the bus to be sure I will be ok- suggestions?? I doubt I will get close to the max rating with what we are taking to NM but ya never know!

Thanks for any help! Jonathan
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Every state is different with weight laws and spread. For the life of me I cant recall the numbers but typically the front steer is 12k-18k depending on state and tire size and tandem drives are 36k. Our tandem axle trucks (1 steer and 1 dual tire drive) are gross @ 33k. You should really check to see what you state allows, weigh your front and rear, then register accordingly with a little wiggle room.
When you order a single trip permit on a tractor trailer they need the front weight (max that out by what is allowed) spread (center to center) from front to tandem, king pin measured from rear of tractor forward, rear tandem to center of front rear, number of rear, over all length bumper to bumper, wheel base (center of front to center of rear), overall length, deck length, license plates, tire size and route using state/US road number - not names - more measurements if you have trollies and/or stingers. Sometimes you order and tell them 7 axles maxed out and get a permit in 5 mins other times you have to go through all the BS and get a permit in 24 hours, depends on who answers the phone. Some states you have to use a permit service, others you call direct and sometimes after 24 hours they reject it because your route or weights are wrong. In Washington DC you have to hand carry your single trip permit application to them with a check in hand, so noone gets them and they typically run illegal there. We always max out on all axle weights as it is very hard to load heavy and have legal distribution per axle without a scale. Some states are worse then others, Florida is easy, Virginia is tough and each state uses a different formula. You may be legal in one state and illegal in another, doubt so much with a straight vehicle such as a bus.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoo
Every state is different with weight laws and spread. For the life of me I cant recall the numbers but typically the front steer is 12k-18k depending on state and tire size and tandem drives are 36k. Our tandem axle trucks (1 steer and 1 dual tire drive) are gross @ 33k. You should really check to see what you state allows, weigh your front and rear, then register accordingly with a little wiggle room.
When you order a single trip permit on a tractor trailer they need the front weight (max that out by what is allowed) spread (center to center) from front to tandem, king pin measured from rear of tractor forward, rear tandem to center of front rear, number of rear, over all length bumper to bumper, wheel base (center of front to center of rear), overall length, deck length, license plates, tire size and route using state/US road number - not names - more measurements if you have trollies and/or stingers. Sometimes you order and tell them 7 axles maxed out and get a permit in 5 mins other times you have to go through all the BS and get a permit in 24 hours, depends on who answers the phone. Some states you have to use a permit service, others you call direct and sometimes after 24 hours they reject it because your route or weights are wrong. In Washington DC you have to hand carry your single trip permit application to them with a check in hand, so noone gets them and they typically run illegal there. We always max out on all axle weights as it is very hard to load heavy and have legal distribution per axle without a scale. Some states are worse then others, Florida is easy, Virginia is tough and each state uses a different formula. You may be legal in one state and illegal in another, doubt so much with a straight vehicle such as a bus.
WOW... thats alot of info & sounds like a pain in the a**! I guess more than anything I was just wondering if I have to stop at weigh stations when they are open or can I just roll on past...
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Unless some state out there has a different law, commercial or not, busses do not have to go through the weigh station. RVs also do not have to. Now if you registered your bus as a truck and turned it into an RV then who knows, you may even confuse the DOT guys.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Thanks vanguy67, that is what I was looking for!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Just to add my 2 cents to the weight issue, my Thomas is listed on the title with an "Empty Weight" of 19,000 lbs and the GVW is 30,000 lbs... I haven't put it on a scale yet, but that will happen soon since it's basically complete and empty this would be the perfect time to get it on a scale and see exactly what I have...

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Just to add my 2 cents to the weight issue, my Thomas is listed on the title with an "Empty Weight" of 19,000 lbs and the GVW is 30,000 lbs... I haven't put it on a scale yet, but that will happen soon since it's basically complete and empty this would be the perfect time to get it on a scale and see exactly what I have...
Let me know what it weighs in at!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
I got 'the letter' from Progressive today. They don't recognize the make and model of my motorhome, and want some supporting documents.

I'm going to stall so at least I can drive from my In laws house back to the Bus' permanent home.

So if they drop me, i guess GMAC is the way to go?
I think anyone who has Progressive is going to see that "dreaded letter". I applied online with GMAC & was approved without question & haven't heard anything since. Should get the paperwork shortly. We pay $290 for 6 months & I set it up with the lowest coverage as we are driving to NM & parking it till converted. Good luck, it was easy & painless!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I now have a second bus and I just got it insured today with State Farm. $200 / yr with full coverage including emergency road side assistance. Gave them pictures and told them it was the type of truck the chassis is (because that is what it is titled as) and I didn't have any problems.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #38
Skoolie

If you have Farm Bureau in your area, I highly suggest checking them out. I was completely upfront with them about what I had (a bookmobile that was registered as an RV, but not yet converted at the time), they quoted me full coverage for $95 every six months, and liability for $51 every six months. This was with a value of $8,000 (I had explained that it cost a bit under $4,000, but my guesstimate of what it'd take to convert would have it total $8,000). The only thing they had to get clarification on was what coverage I would need while parked (i.e., what if I'm setup at a site and someone comes along and steals our tv, laptop, etc.). They came back and said that the contents would be covered up to 10% of what our home policy would cover (or something along those lines), it'd basically be handled the same as if someone broke into our car and stole something. They said I might need a separate policy if anything was used in a business capacity (such as a laptop).

So basically, they know exactly what we're doing, got clarification on exactly what insurance we needed, and it's dirt cheap compared to what others seem to have to pay. They also know that I'm driving the thing far distances, especially since I had to get a Canada insurance card for my trip to Alaska. Insurance card clearly shows it as a 95 International 3800. Zero problems. Hope I don't ever have to find out what'd happen if we actually had a claim on the RV, but they've been helpful in the past on other claims.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #39

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Got dropped like a bad habbit... GRRR they said that because it was a bus they could not insure it any more...But they did offer a commercial policy; its a screamin deal, Ya, scream your self right back into a normal house. Trippel the cost of the policy they gave us when we first started. Thanks not so progressive! Calling GMAC today!
MtnGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #40
Bus Nut

As an FYI... I checked with a friend of mine who has a Skoolie, they insured their bus with Good Sam VIP Insurance, but after I checked the Good Sam website I learned that Good Sam uses GMAC... Go figure!!

Meanwhile, I may have stumbled across some interesting information on why Progressive (among others) won't insure school bus conversion... and this is a company that DOES insure them.

Poliseek Bus Conversion Insurance you'll find what they say in the 3rd catagory of bus conversions VERY insteresting!!

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia