Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut
geminusprime's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 255
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Pros & Cons Of Registering/Insuring As RV

I've got a nearly full length skoolie that I was originally going to build out for 3+ day boondocking capability to take family on vacation. That has since fallen through.

During the conversion process (still underway) both the DMV and insurance didn't classify it as a RV but rather a cargo van (I think DMV was a covered cargo truck). Makes sense since it wasn't livable, just a big empty rolling rectangle.

So, I was wondering how far I can keep building out until I legally have to register it as an RV? I'm assuming it's somewhere between "Functioning plumbing" and "Kitchen sink", but I have no clue.

Since the original plan of multi-person vehicle is out, it's just going to be me. I'd like to take it on single day vacations where no bathroom or real plumbing is needed while I'm building it to be [whatever], but also don't want to run into issues if I get into an accident.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
HazMatt's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
You'll wish you opted for the toilet if you have issues that result an accident!
Oh, a wreck?
Never mind...
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek
o1marc's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,499
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I don't believe you ever have to register it as an RV if you don't want to. The reason most do it is because it is believed the insurance will be cheaper. If you decide you want RV insurance a completed conversion will need to be done. Most states use these same 6 items for a conversion. Only 4 of the list needs to be done at your choice. If you don't want toilet plumbing, use a compost toilet, neither is required.

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,135
Yes, cannot see the RV designation by DMV **ever** being required, that is an exception case to the "big truck" requirements, less stringent, so up to you.

But wrt to insurance, of course nothing less than full disclosure is prudent.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.