Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Purchase in Florida - Drive home to Michigan

Hello Everyone! On March 16, I will be flying down to Florida to pick up our first Skoolie! Does anyone have any tips on what I need to do to legally drive it home to Michigan and register it? I know I have to insure it before I leave, but what about not being able to register it til it arrives? Are there temporary permits for this kind of thing? Where should I start??? By calling my DMV here in Michigan? Florida's DMV? Any advice from seasoned veterans would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeremy

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Purchase in Florida - Drive home to Michigan

I bring duct tape with me to cover red lights, stop signs, school markings. I would check FL DMV website to find out about a trip permit. I've paid between $10-$30 before. Find out where the closest Walmart for supplies for your trip home. I also bring some basic tools for little stuff. I installed a power point in Tennessee before I left for home. I'm sure more will come to mind.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I bring duct tape with me to cover red lights, stop signs, school markings. I would check FL DMV website to find out about a trip permit. I've paid between $10-$30 before. Find out where the closest Walmart for supplies for your trip home. I also bring some basic tools for little stuff. I installed a power point in Tennessee before I left for home. I'm sure more will come to mind.
Thanks for the tip! I won't need duct tape to cover anything, because it's already partially converted and lived it's previous life as a prison bus, but duct tape can always fix stuff!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Get insuranse for the Vin....and drive...forest....drive, play stupid and hand over the bill of sale....don't lie to Leo tho'

Be safe and smile
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Get insuranse for the Vin....and drive...forest....drive, play stupid and hand over the bill of sale....don't lie to Leo tho'

Be safe and smile
Got insurance today! Called Florida... to get a transit permit I have to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle at the tax collectors office (where they issue the permit). She wouldn't give me a straight answer on whether or not it was Florida law. I'm driving and playing dumb! No way I am going to pay sales tax to two states... that's crazy...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

Help

Who insured you, before conversion? Having alot of problems. Everyone is telling me that i need to have a business to insure it. Or they are denying me as soon as i say bus, or conversion. I already have insurance lined up for after its converted. I just need to get it home.... please help
Guntothehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Skoolie

Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntothehead View Post
Who insured you, before conversion? Having alot of problems. Everyone is telling me that i need to have a business to insure it. Or they are denying me as soon as i say bus, or conversion. I already have insurance lined up for after its converted. I just need to get it home.... please help
I have progressive commercial for private use might Try them. I beleive your age, driving record and state play a big part in how easy or hard it is to get insurance. I don't know of anyone that just couldn't get any but some people pay more for it.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White99z View Post
Got insurance today! Called Florida... to get a transit permit I have to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle at the tax collectors office (where they issue the permit). She wouldn't give me a straight answer on whether or not it was Florida law. I'm driving and playing dumb! No way I am going to pay sales tax to two states... that's crazy...
This is the route I took but both buses had a current tag that I got to leave on during transit and I didn't get pulled over...... so I didn't have to test it.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #9

Unhappy Thank you

I will try again tomorrow, maybe its the ass behind the computer. I talked to them already told me they dont do that and the pnly way to insure is through a business. Im over 35 perfect driving record for past 20 years. If i have business they'll insure for 6,385$ for the year
Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntothehead View Post
I will try again tomorrow, maybe its the ass behind the computer. I talked to them already told me they dont do that and the pnly way to insure is through a business. Im over 35 perfect driving record for past 20 years. If i have business they'll insure for 6,385$ for the year
I also use an insurance agent, a good one will know all the loopholes. Plus I just called them and let em deal with the headache.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #11

Not to be intrusive, but which agency did you use?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
There's a subtle difference in "it has to be a business" and "we can sell you a commercial policy." So far as I know, Progressive's individual lines side doesn't have a product for insuring buses. Their commercial lines do. So you buy a "commercial policy for private use." Basically it's written by the commercial side of the business but has your personal name on it instead of a business name.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Just curious, where in Florida did you buy your bus?
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote