Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Year: 1995
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Ford B800
Engine: Cummins 5.9L I6
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Question about registration in New York NY

Hello my lovelies, here with my results.

Borrowed a car and drove 2+ hours to a DMV in a rural area.
Walked in, took ticket, number called instantly. Walked up to booth with MV-82 and DTF-802 filled, old title, bill of sale.
Said: "I just purchased a motor home and need to get title, registration, and plates. Do I need one or two copies of MV-82?"
Rep: "One, and the old title, and the tax form, and your driver's license"
Me: "Here they are."
*waits patiently approximately 5 minutes*
Rep: "I need a form showing it was weighed on an authorized weigh station."
Me: "Oh, okay, sorry about that. How can I get that done without plates?"
Rep: "You'll have to have it towed."
Me: "Ok. Thank you."
Rep: "Where did this weight come from?"
Me: "Provided by the previous owner."
Rep: "What kind of motor home is this... a house on wheels?"
Me: "Yes, house on wheels."
Rep: "This is showing in the system as a different class. Is this vehicle modified, maybe a commercial vehicle or a bus that has had things removed?"
Me: "Yes, the previous owner purchased as a school bus, had converted to an RV, then had it inspected and re-titled in his state. I understood all the class change work had been completed."
*waits more as rep marks forms*
Me: "Is there a way I can get temporary tags to get it weighed?"
Rep: "I'm just putting it through."
Me: "Goodness, thank you so much."
*waits another 5-10 minutes, give payment, is handed plates (standard vehicle plates) and registration*
Done. It was easy, miraculously easy. I was in and out of the DMV in no more than 20 minutes (4 hours of driving, though, lol). If she hadn't pushed it through for me, I think it might have been a nightmare. I might have cried if I needed to get it towed to get a weight for it, I'm definitely going to get that done anyway while it is legal to drive.

Now who wants to help me fix the horn so I can get it inspected? Just kidding... I'll make a new thread if I need help there...

I would like to thank everyone who posted in this thread for your help, attention and love. Bonus shout out to Redbear, without the guidance from your post (which I read, re-read, and had memorized to a T before going in), I'm not sure I would have handled the presentation of my situation, nor known the right responses to questions asked of me so well. Thank you for taking so much time to write such a detailed reply!!
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Congrats!!! Now get out there and have some fun with it before winter comes!!

I never understood the horn portion of vehicle inspection, I lived in Maine and they always checked it. The reason I never understood it: if you use your horn you can get a ticket for it. So as I understand it; you have to have a horn, it needs to function, if you activate it in an intersection or on a public street you will be cited for use and pay a fine.

Anyhow good luck with that!!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Site Team

congrates, so you now have a "house on wheels"? sounds more romanticized than motorhome
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Year: 1994
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 72
Send a message via MSN to xJP

Does anyone know about RV status in Vancouver, British Columbia?
What things do I need in my bus to have the insurance changed from commercial to RV?
Or link me to info!?
Please and thank you!
Message me if you live near Vancouver B.C, we could exchange tips and tricks on bus conversions!!
Email me:
xJP is offline   Reply With Quote