Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Ford B800
Engine: Cummins 5.9L I6
Rated Cap: 65
Question about registration in New York NY

I just bought a skoolie (already converted) in another state and want to register it in my state (NY). The title for the vehicle says "Ford" for make and "Camper" for model.

The registration application (DMV form MV-82) asks the question "have any modifications been made to this vehicle to change its class?"
I am not sure whether I am supposed to say no since it has already been re-classified and has the correct class now, or if I am supposed to say yes and include pictures of the required amenities (electrical system independent of engine, sleeping quarters, fridge, stove, sink, toilet, etc).

I specifically bought this bus because it was already titled as a Camper and I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of getting it re-classified. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to have to go through the same trouble or not.

Thanks so much for your help!

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Question about registration in New York NY

I would walk into DMV hand them drivers license,old title and proof of ins and nicely say "I need to get tags" then play dumb do not add anything,
Its a simple title transfer be vague its already been deemed a camper...so that is what it is a camper,not a bus etc.

Remember K.I.S.S you should be fine

P.S. you really have never seen that document you referenced....don't lie to questions asked,if you don't know the correct answer I'm not sure it's a camper that's what title says...good luck and post results
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

If the old title says camper and you have not made any changes to change it from camper, then your answer would be no. You don't want to change the class, you want to keep it a camper right?

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I haven't tried registering a bus yet, so Hex or someone else who has might weigh in. But my after-school job for two years of High School in another state was as a messenger who went to the Motor Vehicle office 5 days a week, so I have been through the drill a few times. I don't get scared of them. And if you visit a rural office not in a big city, they are likely to be very friendly and helpful when you are one of the few people in line, as opposed to a clerk who sees 50 people lined up behind you and at every other window.

I just checked my ten-year old NYS codes listing. I don't think it has changed at all. There is no class for "Camper" in New York State. An "RV" is legally considered to be a "Housecar," Which may possibly be body type 87, HOU for "House or Coach Trailer." But that is grouped with codes for other types of trailers, so it may not fit. Federally, a motorhome was type ZZ "Other," but there is no "Other" choice in my NYS listing. Most motorhomes here have passenger car plates, so the body type for DMV may just be the common 16 PAS.

Try this:

In box 4, on the first line fill in the VIN, Year, and make. Leave the check boxes at the end for passenger car body types blank.
On the second line for "Body Type For Other Vehicles" check "Other" and leave the line next to it blank for now. Then fill in the boxes for color, unladen weight (hopefully) from the old title, and check the box for fuel type.
On the third line, fill in only the number of cylinders, the odometer reading, and how many whole mile digits the odometer displays. Leave gross weight, number of seats, and number of axles for commercial vehicles blank.

Then fill out the rest of the form.

For the troublesome class modification question #3 in box #6 you would check "no," because the out-of-state "camper" and the in-state "housecar" are the same class. If asked any questions, always explain it is an "RV" (point out it says "camper" on the title), and refrain from using the "B" word.

If they say the VIN comes up in the computer as a bus, honestly explain that it was previously modified to a different class and inspected in a different state, as shown on the out-of-state title, and it is currently an "RV."

If you check "yes" for class change, you will almost certainly be given an appointment to visit a DMV garage at an undisclosed location for an New York inspection. You will get to sit in the waiting room with people who rebuild cars from salvage while the DMV spends time alone with your vehicle.

When the clerk gets to the blank by "Other", advise that it is an "RV" and you did not know what to put in.

Or, it might be better to pre-fill two forms, leaving all the Body Types boxes and lines blank on the second one. Again check "Other" in "Body Type For Other Vehicles" and enter "RV" on the line on the one you hand in first. If the clerk rejects the "RV" entry and tells you to fill out a new form, they would tell you what should be on which line. Or, they might cross it out and correct it for you at the window.

If the clerk asks you to fill out a new form, instead of going to the back of the line, you whip out the second pre-filled form, write down what the clerk told you about Body Type, and hand it in instead.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Great information so far, thank you so so much everyone.
I will make a special trip upstate to find a more rural DMV and will be following the advice of posters in this thread.
Still waiting on my insurance card, but once that comes I will be off, and will post results.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, sorry to double post, but my other post hasn't been approved yet. I forgot to ask - I actually don't have the unladen vehicle weight. I've done research and based on that know it should weigh less than 20,000 lbs. So I was going to put down 20,000 lbs. Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

I would think you are probably at 18k or so, but I don't see any issue with you just putting 20k. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Hex
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

I'll have to research the 'Housecar' status. Currently, I've got a 'House on Wheels' designation, and it's a standard passenger car plate.

And DON'T go above 18,000 of weight! Passenger vehicles are supposed to be below that amount. Ones above that get special scrutiny (as I was informed by the extremely helpful guy on the DMV answer-line who walked me through filling out the DMV forms) and you might run into some stickler of a manager.

Best of luck, and please let me know how it goes!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

^good to know!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek

For me I had two choices for my motor home, personal vehicle tags at 16,000 or 26,000 I went with 26,000 (normal are 5,000 which doesn't cover most vehicles they are on )

these are not "weighted tags" like others in the state which has a H on them, these are actually the same looking plates as other cars etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hello my lovelies, here with my results.

Borrowed a car and drove 2+ hours to a DMV in a rural area.
Walked in, took ticket, number called instantly. Walked up to booth with MV-82 and DTF-802 filled, old title, bill of sale.
Said: "I just purchased a motor home and need to get title, registration, and plates. Do I need one or two copies of MV-82?"
Rep: "One, and the old title, and the tax form, and your driver's license"
Me: "Here they are."
*waits patiently approximately 5 minutes*
Rep: "I need a form showing it was weighed on an authorized weigh station."
Me: "Oh, okay, sorry about that. How can I get that done without plates?"
Rep: "You'll have to have it towed."
Me: "Ok. Thank you."
Rep: "Where did this weight come from?"
Me: "Provided by the previous owner."
Rep: "What kind of motor home is this... a house on wheels?"
Me: "Yes, house on wheels."
Rep: "This is showing in the system as a different class. Is this vehicle modified, maybe a commercial vehicle or a bus that has had things removed?"
Me: "Yes, the previous owner purchased as a school bus, had converted to an RV, then had it inspected and re-titled in his state. I understood all the class change work had been completed."
*waits more as rep marks forms*
Me: "Is there a way I can get temporary tags to get it weighed?"
Rep: "I'm just putting it through."
Me: "Goodness, thank you so much."
*waits another 5-10 minutes, give payment, is handed plates (standard vehicle plates) and registration*
Done. It was easy, miraculously easy. I was in and out of the DMV in no more than 20 minutes (4 hours of driving, though, lol). If she hadn't pushed it through for me, I think it might have been a nightmare. I might have cried if I needed to get it towed to get a weight for it, I'm definitely going to get that done anyway while it is legal to drive.

Now who wants to help me fix the horn so I can get it inspected? Just kidding... I'll make a new thread if I need help there...

I would like to thank everyone who posted in this thread for your help, attention and love. Bonus shout out to Redbear, without the guidance from your post (which I read, re-read, and had memorized to a T before going in), I'm not sure I would have handled the presentation of my situation, nor known the right responses to questions asked of me so well. Thank you for taking so much time to write such a detailed reply!!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Congrats!!! Now get out there and have some fun with it before winter comes!!

I never understood the horn portion of vehicle inspection, I lived in Maine and they always checked it. The reason I never understood it: if you use your horn you can get a ticket for it. So as I understand it; you have to have a horn, it needs to function, if you activate it in an intersection or on a public street you will be cited for use and pay a fine.

Anyhow good luck with that!!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Bus Geek

congrates, so you now have a "house on wheels"? sounds more romanticized than motorhome
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
xJP
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: International
Send a message via MSN to xJP

Does anyone know about RV status in Vancouver, British Columbia?
What things do I need in my bus to have the insurance changed from commercial to RV?
Or link me to info!?
Please and thank you!