Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.7 L 3116 CAT V6-Inline
Rated Cap: 60
Re-titling in NC

Ok sooo...my friends and i are closing in on the 4 reqirements to have the bus retitled as an RV. However, i heard from a friend that i could bypass the whole inspection process, by simply filling out a body modification form and having it notarized. Wondering if that is true? Additionally, i only have a bill-of sale as the owner "mailed" the title, but it never "came." Therefore, i am wondering the best way to go about this? Simply fill out a lost title and bodymodification form? or will i need to have the inspectors? I went to the DMV back in Nov. to get some info, they gave me the runaround and finally a number, which i called but never got an answer,....very busy occupation! hahaha
thanks!

telluriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Re-titling in NC

Two things you can try for info... the state website (email them) and/or a used car dealer. Good lick. We spent an hour trying to explain to the NC DMV that TN did not require us to tag our popup. The people we sold it to were in NC and trying to tag it locally so they could take it home. NC DMV kept telling me I had to turn in my TN tag. Even showed the the paperwork stating the TN regulations. Then they got hung up on the title (SC). I told them what TN told me.... not to bother since the popup would not be tagged. DMV kept saying "IN NC you have to title and tag" And I'm saying "But I'm not an NC resident". Idiots. I think you have to take a "stupidity test" in order to work for the government. The really idiotic ones get to work at the DMV.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

do one step at a time! get the title, wait a week for it to get in the system then do the conversion. less headache one can hope!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

yeahhh thats the best way to deal with issues, but i was hoping to do it all at once as i thought it would save me from the retitling fee....but you know...after putting that into words....i dont think thats possible.. so yes i had better do it one step at a time
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Well so basically, i dont know where to start?
I have all 4 requirements
no title
and i was wondering if at the time of title/rv inspection, do i need to have the bus painted and stop sign off? is it really illegal for it to be yellow, even with the School parts covered?
what to do?!!

thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

i thimk ya gotta get a clear title first.
personally i don't know any state that restricts color for busses. after all, i have used school bus yellow to paint a chevy suburban. but they don't like the lettering, and stop signs, flashing lights on roof, etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

All my toys seem to end up bright yellow--Sun Fussion Yellow from a '07 Toyota FJ to be specific. I drove my yellow Morris Minor to the local CHP office and showed it to the school bus compliance officer and told him I wanted to paint my schoolie the same color. He said no problem as long as it wasn't the nationally recognized "National School Bus Glossy Yellow" used on actual school buses and as long as I did not use black trim or sport school bus equiptment. I've yet to get that on paper but I expect I should as the color does seem to be an issue in California. That being said, after a careful hunt through the Ca Vehicle Code I found a section which states that former school busses must be repainted a color other than NSBGY. If it ain't NSBGY, it ain't NSBGY as that is a specific color well defined spectorally and in paint formulas. Probably could end up in court trying to prove it though. Guess i'll find out!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

The deal is that it should not be able to be remotely mistaken for a school bus. I have been told that this is to prevent Uncle Pervy from driving around and picking up little victims.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

in oregon, the bus can just have the word, school painted over, no use of overhead flashing lights, and no stop sign.