Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
registered and insured in Utah.. whew!

We picked our 1991 Blue Bird out of the classifieds about two weeks ago. I did my homework before buying to get some idea about licensing cost and insurance. I found a local Progressive agent who said he thought he could do a school bus, but not a school bus conversion. But just for good measure he called Progressive to be sure. He came back and reported that they'd do it, and a couple days later we bought the bus. Then I called him back to buy the policy. Uh-oh.

Apparently the scoop with them is that they will cover a school bus, but only so long as it remains a bus. At present the only kind of conversion they'll take is a coach conversion, like a greyhound -- no skoolies. I turned to GMAC and found almost the opposite: they won't insure a school bus until AFTER it is converted.

So I guess that's the plan: Progressive until we add sleeping facilities, and GMAC after that time. At least Progressive's rate was pretty good (mid-$400/yr including comprehensive and collision).

Thank goodness the safety and emissions inspections went well and the state DMV licensing and registration were easy. And a big thanks to those here who shared their experience and knowledge. Finding insurance was probably my biggest concern about diving into this project.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70
Re: registered and insured in Utah.. whew!

Insured my 90 GMC Ward body with Progressive 3 years ago now and there were no hoops about pre or post conversion. They wrote it as a "commercial" policy however and it cost me some more, but not near $400. Talked with State Farm today after Googling Bus Conversion Insurance and the web said they did it, but in person they say they cant. I do not understand why the safest vehicles out there cant be insured without so much BS.

Willie
(Vanderbus)
wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: B5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: registered and insured in Utah.. whew!

I got my insurance in Texas through my state farm agent. They already insure my 3 cars and my newly licensed teen driver. I talked to my agent before I bought the bus and after some research they came back and said they could do both a private bus and an RV conversion. I'm insured as a private bus currently for $175/6 months for minimum liability and uninsured motorist. Once I finish the conversion and retitle as an RV I just need to show them pictures and receipts for the conversion and they will insure me as an RV. At that point I will probably bump up the coverage a bit more since I will be doing more driving than just between the storage lot and my driveway.
scott_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote