Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
registered van as rv today

Today after going to 2 other dmv's yesterday I registered my van as an rv. I didn't want to do it that way but trying to explain to them that the 1 ton van doesn't need commercial truck plates on it and I wanted regular passenger car plates because it is no basically a conversion van was getting to be too much hassle. They didn't seem to understand that passenger car plates can go on 1 ton passenger vans such as 15 passenger vans and conversion vans that are not being used by a commercial company.

So I told them I had a bed in the back and an air conditioner in it (which is true) and a toilet. (which is a bucket with a seat on it) Which really isn't the way they want them in there to classify as rv but they don't have to know that.

Long story short it is far easier to get rv plates in Minnesota then a regular passenger car plate. With rv plates I at least don't have to worry about some dot boy trying to make a point and hit me for not being up to par for a commercial truck. It isn't Minnesota I'm worried about, it is those other states out west such as California I am worried about when I go out there mid March.

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: registered van as rv today

Congratulations!
If the RV has Minnesota plates, and Minnesota says it's an RV, California and all points in between shouldn't have any reason to complain. That's reciprocity.
NY and other northern states have no dark tinted windows laws, but police they don't stop cars coming up from the sun belt with Florida plates.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 Diesel, Ford
Rated Cap: 20

I'm from the twin city area and just got a shuttle bus, I was wondering what dmv you went to and how ya went about getting it titled as an rv with no headaches. My email is jonmosch@yahoo.com

Thanks! ,Spider
SPIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

For the van I went to Burnsville location by the Cub Foods at Nicollet and HWY !3. For the bus I went to Prior Lake. You should ask for a change of class form. Not sure exactly what it is called. They also have a little card that you check off what you have done to it. They probably won't ask to see the inside of it, so just tell them a little white lie and say you have done more to it than you really did. Example:Air conditioner, toilet sink with fresh water and dump tanks, beds, and a stove.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 Diesel, Ford
Rated Cap: 20

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it! How much was it to change title,plates,change class?

Thanks! ,Spider
SPIDER is offline   Reply With Quote